Just a little patience! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just a little patience!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 4Pack » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:49 pm

bleach168 wrote:You can't expect people who draft a month before the season starts to be patient.

LOL...good point. If they were patient..they would not have drafted so early.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:48 pm

Well I've already made 5 trades, but to me they were 5 trades that are can't miss. First I sent Konerko over to another team for V-Mart. Mike Jacobs was my origonal catcher, but they switched his elgibility. Then, despretly needing SB, I traded Isringhausen & Crosby for Rollins. With only one closer left, and four teams in my league with atleast four closers, I dealt Chris Ray for Willy Mo Pena. I was then ready to have my team stand put, but I got an offer that gave me A-Ram for Zito & Hermida. I accepted that because I had plenty of OF. Wanting one more good starter, I traded Jacobs & Alou for A.J. Burnett and Chacon.

Hopefully none of those trades are too bad :-o
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:02 pm

bleach168 wrote:You can't expect people who draft a month before the season starts to be patient.

That's why my league's not drafting until at least the 20th of March.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 4Pack » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:45 pm

Their is nothing wrong with being active in trades and FA pickups this early in the season. Can anyone here honestly say they came away from the draft with their ideal team? Can anyone here say they came away from the draft with 100% certainty that they left no stone uncovered and their is nobody on FA that MAY be a better fit on their rosters? As much as I prepare for the draft and with all my fantasy experience.....I have never been completly satisfied with my team after the draft. Their have ALWAYS been question marks.

I can come away from a draft satisfied with my team for the most part...and then I start the process of analyzing the other teams in my league. If/when I come across a couple managers who seem to have very solid teams who I feel will compete for lst place....I then adjust my team whichever way is needed until I feel comfortable that I have an as good or better team.

Being patient has nothing to do with it IMO. If the day comes that I assemble the perfect team.....then I will sit on my roster. But...I will always find a hole in my team somewhere that needs to be plugged. Call it the endless quest for fantasy perfection since I am not in the game to finish in 2nd place.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:53 pm

I'll never understand people who make multiple WW moves right after the draft.
I mean, why not just draft the guy if he was available?
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Jury » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:18 am

Another Blown Save wrote:I'll never understand people who make multiple WW moves right after the draft.

Lack of prep.. :-D But still, even the most prepared GMs sometimes miss players in the heat of the draft.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Jury » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:19 am

4Pack wrote:Their is nothing wrong with being active in trades and FA pickups this early in the season. Can anyone here honestly say they came away from the draft with their ideal team? Can anyone here say they came away from the draft with 100% certainty that they left no stone uncovered and their is nobody on FA that MAY be a better fit on their rosters? As much as I prepare for the draft and with all my fantasy experience.....I have never been completly satisfied with my team after the draft. Their have ALWAYS been question marks.

I can come away from a draft satisfied with my team for the most part...and then I start the process of analyzing the other teams in my league. If/when I come across a couple managers who seem to have very solid teams who I feel will compete for lst place....I then adjust my team whichever way is needed until I feel comfortable that I have an as good or better team.

Being patient has nothing to do with it IMO. If the day comes that I assemble the perfect team.....then I will sit on my roster. But...I will always find a hole in my team somewhere that needs to be plugged. Call it the endless quest for fantasy perfection since I am not in the game to finish in 2nd place.

That's a great point that is always realized but rarely stated! It puts things back into perspective. Good post as a whole also ;-D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:44 am

no doubt. March is REALLY dragging!!

I have one draft to go, on 032506 but, until then there's this big hole where nothing good can happen as the only 'impact' will be guys going down in the WBC, Spring Training, carrying deer meat up the stairs or whatever...jeez, Sammy hurt himself coughing!! 8-o. I've had bunches of 3 for 2/ 2 for one/ 4 for 2/ offers but am sort of attached to the guys I drafted who haven't done anything yet and really want to test drive them before I cash them in on new chips as it were.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby dewey finn » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:18 am

It's cause us cafers overanalyze everything. I'm trying to hold off on some moves cause in hockey and basketball I've made some pretty boneheaded drops before the season started.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby WittyC » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:49 am

The Jury wrote:
Another Blown Save wrote:I'll never understand people who make multiple WW moves right after the draft.

Lack of prep.. :-D But still, even the most prepared GMs sometimes miss players in the heat of the draft.

Ha! That's true... I went through a draft in '04 where I just flat-out forgot about second base. Ended up taking a flier on someone in the second-to-last round, but then looked on the waivers after and saw a guy with a career .300 average who didn't have much previous fantasy value. Though I'd give him a go. Turned out Mark Loretta had a decent '04. :-D

Just goes to show you, I guess...
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers