Just a little patience! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just a little patience!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Jury » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:13 pm

bigh0rt wrote:People just love to tinker. That's the problem. Someone could be dominating in 1st place, yet the entire time thinking, "What move can I make...?" instead of sitting back and riding the wave. Too many owners feel that unless they're actively pursuing trades, they're not doing their job properly. I also hypothesize that after league trade deadlines, activity takes a sharp drop in many leagues, because all that's left is the WW !+)


Mmm.. I tend to disagree here. A good GM is always looking to improve the team, no matter how the team is performing. In fantasy baseball there is no chemistry, so that is not a factor.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pochucker » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:26 pm

I will never make pre season trade again -- last year traded D. Lee for C. Patterson ouch!
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 679
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:10 pm

RAmst23 wrote:Seems like these all come from live draft leagues...

I love it when other teams drop roster players they drafted to pick someone up off the WW. It's pre-season, and nothing has really changed. You passed these other guys up already, but now they're suddenly worth more??

As for pre-season trade offers, I think many are just silly. I was offered Cliff Floyd for Jason Schmidt.. silly.


I can see it if a guy suddenly becomes a starter in ST after being an unknown bench player before. Hernanderson with the Mets could be like that.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 801
Joined: 3 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Cow » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:23 pm

There is never a bad time to make a trade or waiver wire move. The key is that you have to know what you are doing. I will cut or trade some one before the season, why? Because I am trying to improve my team. The early bird gets the worm.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1754
Joined: 12 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eating refried beans

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:37 pm

The Jury wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:People just love to tinker. That's the problem. Someone could be dominating in 1st place, yet the entire time thinking, "What move can I make...?" instead of sitting back and riding the wave. Too many owners feel that unless they're actively pursuing trades, they're not doing their job properly. I also hypothesize that after league trade deadlines, activity takes a sharp drop in many leagues, because all that's left is the WW !+)


Mmm.. I tend to disagree here. A good GM is always looking to improve the team, no matter how the team is performing. In fantasy baseball there is no chemistry, so that is not a factor.


My point is, if you drafted properly, there shouldn't BE anybody on Waivers that you want more than the player you drafted yesterday. You should've just drafted him to begin with. Now, that is not to say, somebody gets hurt in ST, some new news breaks out or something of that nature that shifts rankings, and you try to pounce, but there's guys who seemingly add/drop with compulsion to 'do something'. Of course a good GM is always looking to improve, but often times, there's simply no moves to be made, or that you can make, that's going to change things. I mean, you can always offer trades, but I see far too often what appears to be transactions for the sake of transactions.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24816
(Past Year: 359)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby The Jury » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:49 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
The Jury wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:People just love to tinker. That's the problem. Someone could be dominating in 1st place, yet the entire time thinking, "What move can I make...?" instead of sitting back and riding the wave. Too many owners feel that unless they're actively pursuing trades, they're not doing their job properly. I also hypothesize that after league trade deadlines, activity takes a sharp drop in many leagues, because all that's left is the WW !+)


Mmm.. I tend to disagree here. A good GM is always looking to improve the team, no matter how the team is performing. In fantasy baseball there is no chemistry, so that is not a factor.


My point is, if you drafted properly, there shouldn't BE anybody on Waivers that you want more than the player you drafted yesterday. You should've just drafted him to begin with. Now, that is not to say, somebody gets hurt in ST, some new news breaks out or something of that nature that shifts rankings, and you try to pounce, but there's guys who seemingly add/drop with compulsion to 'do something'. Of course a good GM is always looking to improve, but often times, there's simply no moves to be made, or that you can make, that's going to change things. I mean, you can always offer trades, but I see far too often what appears to be transactions for the sake of transactions.


If you look at the other teams in your league, there is almost always one or more undervalued players before the season starts, and you simply don't have enough picks in the draft to grab everyone before other people do. So it's wise to explore trades and to try to get players while their values are lower than they project to be once the numbers start rolling in.

One simply does not have enough picks to grab everyone, so priorities must be made during the draft, then later a GM can go after the players that he didn't manage to land during the draft.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:28 pm

The Jury wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
The Jury wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:People just love to tinker. That's the problem. Someone could be dominating in 1st place, yet the entire time thinking, "What move can I make...?" instead of sitting back and riding the wave. Too many owners feel that unless they're actively pursuing trades, they're not doing their job properly. I also hypothesize that after league trade deadlines, activity takes a sharp drop in many leagues, because all that's left is the WW !+)


Mmm.. I tend to disagree here. A good GM is always looking to improve the team, no matter how the team is performing. In fantasy baseball there is no chemistry, so that is not a factor.


My point is, if you drafted properly, there shouldn't BE anybody on Waivers that you want more than the player you drafted yesterday. You should've just drafted him to begin with. Now, that is not to say, somebody gets hurt in ST, some new news breaks out or something of that nature that shifts rankings, and you try to pounce, but there's guys who seemingly add/drop with compulsion to 'do something'. Of course a good GM is always looking to improve, but often times, there's simply no moves to be made, or that you can make, that's going to change things. I mean, you can always offer trades, but I see far too often what appears to be transactions for the sake of transactions.


If you look at the other teams in your league, there is almost always one or more undervalued players before the season starts, and you simply don't have enough picks in the draft to grab everyone before other people do. So it's wise to explore trades and to try to get players while their values are lower than they project to be once the numbers start rolling in.

One simply does not have enough picks to grab everyone, so priorities must be made during the draft, then later a GM can go after the players that he didn't manage to land during the draft.


Right on... sometimes the flip-side of this holds up, too. I might draft a guy where I think his value was right, but someone else values them more and thought they would keep dropping. Thus, I can deal him for a higher pick than where he went.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1096
Joined: 3 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dillon, CO

Postby GSes » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:58 pm

patience is the key to this game, if u drafted a stud who is proven, u need to just ride him out, bc u wont get fair trade value for him anyways. Stud hitters are usually stud hitters, even if it takes till june for them to get going, but they will compensate for it for the remainder of the season and it all evens out in the end. Look at Eric Chavez, every year he starts horrible, then by the end of the year, he has those same good but ugly numbers

270 avg
34hr
100rbi

u would never rembr he hit like 175 from april-june. You just have to stick wit the BIG time guys u drafted. Now if you drafted like jeremy burnitz and he dosen't produce thats ok to drop his ass, guys who arent proven studs, its ok to look at replacements.
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2498
Joined: 9 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Shadows

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:25 pm

You can't expect people who draft a month before the season starts to be patient.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5058
(Past Year: 17)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:24 pm

bleach168 wrote:You can't expect people who draft a month before the season starts to be patient.


Why?
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24816
(Past Year: 359)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tavish and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact