Just a little patience! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Just a little patience!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just a little patience!

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:24 am

I've been analyzing teams over in the analyzing teams forum (Coincidence?) and notice that many people aren't, well, patient at all.

How come no one is content to let the season start at all? Let your players play, and see what options open up for you. If you have a weak OF right now, wait till the season starts and see what develops on the WW. Need some starting pitching? Let the season start and see who's doing well on the wire first... Especially same with closers who come in and out all year..

Everyone seems to be too hasty to make trades. If a good trade comes your way, jump at it, but don't do something drastic because you don't have that extra closer right now.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just a little patience!

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:27 am

RAmst23 wrote:I've been analyzing teams over in the analyzing teams forum (Coincidence?) and notice that many people aren't, well, patient at all.

How come no one is content to let the season start at all? Let your players play, and see what options open up for you. If you have a weak OF right now, wait till the season starts and see what develops on the WW. Need some starting pitching? Let the season start and see who's doing well on the wire first... Especially same with closers who come in and out all year..

Everyone seems to be too hasty to make trades. If a good trade comes your way, jump at it, but don't do something drastic because you don't have that extra closer right now.

That's a very good point. I have had a stream of 2 for 1, 3 for 1, 4 for 2 sort of offers and I'm like 1) 'not even close' and 2) I picked these guys b/c I wanted them and am curious to see how they do for a couple of weeks before I start tossing them around... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Re: Just a little patience!

Postby ukrneal » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:02 am

AcidRock23 wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:I've been analyzing teams over in the analyzing teams forum (Coincidence?) and notice that many people aren't, well, patient at all.

That's a very good point. I have had a stream of 2 for 1, 3 for 1, 4 for 2 sort of offers and I'm like 1) 'not even close' and 2) I picked these guys b/c I wanted them and am curious to see how they do for a couple of weeks before I start tossing them around... ;-D

Amen and hallelujah!
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby garf112 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:05 am

I must agree. A few years ago, before the season started, I added/dropped a bunch of guys. Some of the guys I dropped ended up being as good as I had hoped in the draft. I was not as confident in my abilities to draft. I have since done a lot more research, and solidified my opinions on players BEFORE the draft. I will say that I am not averse to making smaller trades that might fill some of the holes in my team.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:37 am

I would imagine much of it comes from autodraft leagues.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:51 am

SouthBronxBombers wrote:I would imagine much of it comes from autodraft leagues.

You would think so, but a lot of the time it's not. I agree with the original post. I think also that it's much more common with newer owners, and it's one thing I've been trying to work on, as I consider myself somewhat of a newbie (I've been playing for only 3 years). Also, I think that the amount of roster change over is directly proportional to the amount of time between the draft and Opening Day. People get the itch to start the season, and the only way to scratch it is to do the next best thing: change around their rosters.
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:03 am

SouthBronxBombers wrote:I would imagine much of it comes from autodraft leagues.

none of mine are autodraft leagues... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Seems like these all come from live draft leagues...

I love it when other teams drop roster players they drafted to pick someone up off the WW. It's pre-season, and nothing has really changed. You passed these other guys up already, but now they're suddenly worth more??

As for pre-season trade offers, I think many are just silly. I was offered Cliff Floyd for Jason Schmidt.. silly.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:50 pm

People just love to tinker. That's the problem. Someone could be dominating in 1st place, yet the entire time thinking, "What move can I make...?" instead of sitting back and riding the wave. Too many owners feel that unless they're actively pursuing trades, they're not doing their job properly. I also hypothesize that after league trade deadlines, activity takes a sharp drop in many leagues, because all that's left is the WW !+)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby J35J » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:53 pm

I agree with you. I hardly ever make a deal before the season starts unless an intreging offer comes TO ME. I drafted the guys I did for a reason and plan on sticking with them for at least a couple weeks before even thinking about giving up on them. I hardly ever start throwing out trades until like May, unless I see a guy starting off slow and I hope I can get him on the cheap.

You play this game long enough then you will know better than to freak out week to week if a guy has a bad few games.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers