Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:17 pm

I don't think we'll ever know. My guess is the original poster saw his guy revealed, then skewered, so he's "leaving it a mystery."

Maybe that'll shame him into telling us, huh?
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:27 pm

Inukchuk wrote:I don't think we'll ever know. My guess is the original poster saw his guy revealed, then skewered, so he's "leaving it a mystery."

Maybe that'll shame him into telling us, huh?

Actually, I think the original poster lives in New Zealand, so he's probably catching some Z's right now while the rest of go about our waking lives on the other side of the world. ;-)

I'd be surprised if he didn't explain himself eventually.
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:49 pm

ironman wrote:Duh people. Its obvious that the unnamed player is Roger Cedeno. ;-7

ugh...thanks for reminding me of when the Tigers signed that bum
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre

Postby sLim » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:52 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:in the 4th / 5th round when you can get similar value on the Waiver Wire?

waiver wire???

100+R and 40+SBs on the wire?

u play in a 6 team league or what?
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigLebowski » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:59 pm

Dave Roberts? Duffy? Reed?
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 470)

Re: Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:10 pm

sLim wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:in the 4th / 5th round when you can get similar value on the Waiver Wire?

waiver wire???

100+R and 40+SBs on the wire?

u play in a 6 team league or what?

He specified it as an average 12 teamer.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby mamorris » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:28 pm

My best guess is Dave Roberts+Freddy Guzman, but combined they're more likely to hit .200 than .300, and won't score 100 runs.

It's not too hard to find 40 SBs on the waiver wire (especially if you play the matchups), but .300 and 100 runs? It would take a miracle.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:04 pm

Didn't intend to keep you all guessing and yeah I have been sleeping so here's how I see it but first I'll explain why I started the thread.

I'm in a 12 team Yahoo Winners league that has just finished drafting. I didn't pre-rank and I went and played golf instead of participating in the first 11 rounds of the draft (shot a 97 :-t but that's another story) so ended up with Pierre in the 5th round as well as Crawford (2nd) and Damon (6th) along with 5 straight SP's Webb, Patterson, Garcia, Lowry and Kerry Wood in rounds 7 thru 11. Most of those I wouldn't have taken if they were available still in round 15 let alone rounds 9 and 10 :-P

So I pulled off two 2 for 1 deals including me getting Halladay for Pierre and Garcia and giving up Damon and Lowry for Carlos Lee. So I've just freed up two roster spots and can now replace Pierre's value (if I need to) with WW fodder which in effect gives me Halladay for next to nothing as to me Garcia has very little value.

This is what I did.

Picked up Kenny Lofton and Dave Roberts off the WW. I intend to use mainly Lofton but platoon him with Roberts when Lofton sits or when Roberts plays at places like Coors or Chase Field which could collate to maybe 80-100 100 AB's.

Using this tactic together you could conceivably get

100 Runs 8-10 HR's 60 RBI's 40 SB's and close to a .300 avg.

Even if Pierre does hit for > .300 avg. and steals 50 plus bases you
get comparitive value by using a platoon of Lofton / Roberts.

For the record together Lofton and Roberts will likely play 20 games at Coors and 20 games at Chase Field. In 2005 in his first season in San Diego Roberts hit .476 at Coors and .464 at Chase in over 50 PA's.

If you have the inclination you can manage these two for 600 AB's of Pierre like value.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Iconoclastic » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:10 pm

I think Lofton/Roberts will be nowhere as effective as Pierre, but this would be a very good thread to look back on at the end of the year. Who knows, perhaps you've hit on something no one else thought of.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:12 pm

So basically you need two players to replace one, and you won't know for sure when those two players will actually start, when you can count on Pierre starting every day and actually count on him for those numbers, when the best you can do with Roberts and Lofton is hope for them, and hope you have them in the limeup when they actually play.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers