Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:37 am

I'd hope you could find 3-4 players who could replicate Pierres stats combined. I wouldn't take him that early, but theres nothing wrong with round 6-7.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:16 am

wrveres wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:There's a player on the waiver wire who will hit .300 with 100 runs and 50 steals? 8-o

Please tell me who I'm overlooking. I've got a team that is in need of extra steals. :-)

Probably not 50 SB's but maybe 40 along with 8-10 HR's, 100 runs and close to a .300 avg. All on the WW :-)

I was typing the above post as this one came in. My guess is either Gathright, or Nook Logan, with Gathright as the #1 guess. :-?

Neither Gathright or Logan are guaranteed playing time so that counts them out.

And by waiver wire I do mean that in the majority of 12 team mixed leagues they're undrafted. Also guaranteed playing time, maybe even 600 AB's for the year.

please don't tell them the name

Well then PM it to me! }:-)

I spent over an hour checking the free agent pool in two of my leagues and came up dry other than Gathright and Logan. :-[ Even convinced myself to grab Gathright in one league where we've got a decent bench (6 deep). :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby garf112 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:20 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:You're getting warmer and why is it a waste of roster space? Maybe with very limited bench spots it is but who would play in a league like that?

Are you really going to make this a guessing game? At least give out a prize for wasting everyone's time. I'll guess Chris Duffy. Who I don't think will do anything near Juan Pierre.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:26 am

LiveForever wrote:Pierre is a 3 catagory player just like Adam Dunn excpet Pierre is better at what he does. Pierre will help your team in Runs, Average, and Stolenbases and hurt you in Homeruns and RBIs. Dunn will help you in Homeruns, RBIs, and runs but will hurt you in average and stolenbases. Adam Dunn goes around the 4th to 5th round so why shouldnt pierre?

By my math the average player gets 7 SB. Dunn's three year average is 6 SB. He's hardly killing you in SB, not like Pierre's 2 HR. Dunn's average also doesn't hurt as much as Pierre's RBI do. Its not a very good comparison at all.

In Roto I can see taking pierre in the 5th round since SB are so important, in H2H he's probably not worth it unless his average goes back up into the .315 range.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:42 am

ukrneal wrote: I remember a couple years ago when his steals weren't there and his value plummeted.

Uhhhh, when? Pierre's last 5 years' steals totals: 46,47,65,45,57

Anyways, I think Pierre allows you to be more liberal with other players on your team. Think about it: if you get Pierre in the 6th or 7th (I don't think I've ever seen him go higher than that, nor would I reach much higher) round, SB are set. Also, I think last year's average was a fluke (he's only been under 300 one other time in his career), so 300 is not a stretch by any means. With the number of AB's he gets, you can wait until late to get power OF with low average, such as Wily Mo or Geoff Jenkins.

Overall, I think it depends on your situation. If you already have a light hitting, speedy middle infield (Reyes/Figgins). Passing on Pierre is a no brainer. If you only have power guys, like Utley and Peralta, Pierre is a nice choice to round out your team.
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:52 am

Ender wrote:
LiveForever wrote:Pierre is a 3 catagory player just like Adam Dunn excpet Pierre is better at what he does. Pierre will help your team in Runs, Average, and Stolenbases and hurt you in Homeruns and RBIs. Dunn will help you in Homeruns, RBIs, and runs but will hurt you in average and stolenbases. Adam Dunn goes around the 4th to 5th round so why shouldnt pierre?

By my math the average player gets 7 SB. Dunn's three year average is 6 SB. He's hardly killing you in SB, not like Pierre's 2 HR. Dunn's average also doesn't hurt as much as Pierre's RBI do. Its not a very good comparison at all.

In Roto I can see taking pierre in the 5th round since SB are so important, in H2H he's probably not worth it unless his average goes back up into the .315 range.

Using average does not tell you much. The median does. Using that, it probably works out to the same in reagrds to the categories they are low in.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:58 am

Ender wrote:

Even I would take Dunn over Pierre. :-)

Seriously though, speed is a very tough thing to bank on. Since most of the player's value is tied to one category, I never pay for speedsters on draft day.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:59 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Phatferd wrote:I'd rather take Freel in round 15 than Pierre in round 4/5

There's several of players I'd take in Round 15 rather than Pierre that early, but you talk about rounds 6/7, I have no problem taking Pierre. His career numbers are excellent, and I fully expect him to go back to them, and have 2005 be an outlier statistical year for Juan.

I'd also just rather not have Ryan Freel on my fantasy team, period.
I'd take him in the 6/7 rounds if he's there and depending on how my OF and speed looks so far in the draft.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:42 am

Well, color me stumped... I've only come up with 3 names, and all will be drafted in any competitive league, leading me to believe that I'm incorrect, and you must be referring to a player who you think is going to 'arrive' this year, and not somebody who's been quietly approaching these .300, 100, 40 numbers....

The names:
Ryan Freel
Julio Lugo
Willy Taveras

Beyond that, I see no player who has sniffed 40 SBs, nor looks to do so this year, nevermind carry a .300 average to boot. No reason not to post and drop your knowledge on the community, though. Heck, I have my $ League Draft coming up tomorrow :-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:47 am

If the player is going to 'steal 40' and is on the FA list there is a reason, most likely he's a Freel who could just as easily steal 10 bases as 40 since he doesn't have a full time job. Or maybe a Dave Roberts who is more likely to be hurt than healthy and will hit .256 or any number of other fast guys who don't have a sure thing job. Regardless thats a terrible argument for not taking Pierre as in a 12 team league you can find a 30 HR guy on the FA list almost every year if you are really watching whats going on, that doesnt' mean 30 HR guys are useless in the draft.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers