Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:03 pm

A third of the way into the season and the Lofton / Roberts platoon is so far ahead of Pierre it's a joke. I don't think there's any need to bring this up again in 2006.

Just for the record

Pierre 217 AB's 28 Runs 3 RBI's 16 SB's and a .240 BA

Lofton 138 AB's 30 Runs 11 RBI's 11 SB's and a .312 BA

Roberts 173 AB's 31 Runs 15 RBI's 15 SB's and a .283 BA

The Lofton / Roberts platoon has scored 46 Runs, stolen 19 bases and has a BA of almost .350. That is pretty much first round production out of free agency ;-D
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:08 pm

Yea Pierre is horrid this year He'd be a good #9 batter for the yankees or a good pinch runner. We should try to get him next year
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:14 pm

Yoda wrote:
Ender wrote:
LiveForever wrote:Pierre is a 3 catagory player just like Adam Dunn excpet Pierre is better at what he does. Pierre will help your team in Runs, Average, and Stolenbases and hurt you in Homeruns and RBIs. Dunn will help you in Homeruns, RBIs, and runs but will hurt you in average and stolenbases. Adam Dunn goes around the 4th to 5th round so why shouldnt pierre?

By my math the average player gets 7 SB. Dunn's three year average is 6 SB. He's hardly killing you in SB, not like Pierre's 2 HR. Dunn's average also doesn't hurt as much as Pierre's RBI do. Its not a very good comparison at all.

In Roto I can see taking pierre in the 5th round since SB are so important, in H2H he's probably not worth it unless his average goes back up into the .315 range.

Even I would take Dunn over Pierre. :-)

Seriously though, speed is a very tough thing to bank on. Since most of the player's value is tied to one category, I never pay for speedsters on draft day.

;-D ;-D ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:06 pm

What makes Pierre so potentially valuable in my main cbs.sportsline points league is his very low strikeout totals...amazing, with the stolen bases he has been consistently a top 20 OF....this season still he remains in the top 50 with the slump....the K's to ABs are rediculous...

year/ab/so
2001/617/29
2002/592/52
2003/668/35
2004/678/35
2005/656/45
2006/217/20

These strikeout totals with the stolen bases alone make for a great fantasy outfielder in a point league that deducts for strikeouts.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:10 pm

NZF wrote:A third of the way into the season and the Lofton / Roberts platoon is so far ahead of Pierre it's a joke. I don't think there's any need to bring this up again in 2006.

Just for the record

Pierre 217 AB's 28 Runs 3 RBI's 16 SB's and a .240 BA

Lofton 138 AB's 30 Runs 11 RBI's 11 SB's and a .312 BA

Roberts 173 AB's 31 Runs 15 RBI's 15 SB's and a .283 BA

The Lofton / Roberts platoon has scored 46 Runs, stolen 19 bases and has a BA of almost .350. That is pretty much first round production out of free agency ;-D

I'll admit it... I'm sold. I might even give this a whirl for the rest of the season in my 10-team roto. ;-D
Is there anything fluffier than a cloud?
If there is, I don't want to know about it.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby damonhater » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:21 am

Are you kidding me the guy's hot I mean check out the delts and don't get be going on the pecs
damonhater Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:44 am

I've been running out the Lofton/Roberts platoon in my h2h keeper league where I'm in a rebuilding year. It's worked beautifully so far. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:04 pm

in certain situations the platoon is fine but it isnt for everyone. i really value having that extra roster spot. so you get a bargain by going with your platoon but you might also miss out on some pick ups, spot starts, etc. i avoided pierre but 'over draft' reyes/pods if you want to call it that. there's a whole dynamic that you are missing if you just compare one player vs. the platoon. you get a guy like pods and you can ignore speed the rest of the draft and you dont have to use additional roster spot for the platoon.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby swyck » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:09 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:in certain situations the platoon is fine but it isnt for everyone. i really value having that extra roster spot. so you get a bargain by going with your platoon but you might also miss out on some pick ups, spot starts, etc. i avoided pierre but 'over draft' reyes/pods if you want to call it that. there's a whole dynamic that you are missing if you just compare one player vs. the platoon. you get a guy like pods and you can ignore speed the rest of the draft and you dont have to use additional roster spot for the platoon.

The other thing is that its not like a real platoon since they're not on the same team. They may both have good or bad matchups on the same day. You can't just use straight platoon numbers to see how good they would be doing.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:18 pm

swyck wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:in certain situations the platoon is fine but it isnt for everyone. i really value having that extra roster spot. so you get a bargain by going with your platoon but you might also miss out on some pick ups, spot starts, etc. i avoided pierre but 'over draft' reyes/pods if you want to call it that. there's a whole dynamic that you are missing if you just compare one player vs. the platoon. you get a guy like pods and you can ignore speed the rest of the draft and you dont have to use additional roster spot for the platoon.

The other thing is that its not like a real platoon since they're not on the same team. They may both have good or bad matchups on the same day. You can't just use straight platoon numbers to see how good they would be doing.

Very true...I've had some days where neither one even plays. I'm in a unique situation where I have the traditional 9 position lineup (one at each position + one util slot) but I have 5 offensive bench players. I can easily afford to have Lofton and Roberts and start NEITHER of them if I don't like the matchups. And my team depth is bad enough that I can also start both of them in a lot of situations. :D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers