Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Can someone tell me why you would draft Pierre

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LiveForever » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:04 am

Pierre is a 3 catagory player just like Adam Dunn excpet Pierre is better at what he does. Pierre will help your team in Runs, Average, and Stolenbases and hurt you in Homeruns and RBIs. Dunn will help you in Homeruns, RBIs, and runs but will hurt you in average and stolenbases. Adam Dunn goes around the 4th to 5th round so why shouldnt pierre?
"If you look long enough for an argument against reason, you will find it" ~Moneyball

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness
LiveForever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:06 am

I'll say this... I'd rather have Willy Taveras 7 rounds later, but I don't think JP's overrated. He should have significant value over Pods, but is barely being drafted ahead of him. Hell, I think he'll be more valuable than Ichiro this year, and that guy's going in the first two rounds!
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:44 am

Madison wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:There's a player on the waiver wire who will hit .300 with 100 runs and 50 steals? 8-o

Please tell me who I'm overlooking. I've got a team that is in need of extra steals. :-)

Probably not 50 SB's but maybe 40 along with 8-10 HR's, 100 runs and close to a .300 avg. All on the WW :-)

I was typing the above post as this one came in. My guess is either Gathright, or Nook Logan, with Gathright as the #1 guess. :-?

Neither Gathright or Logan are guaranteed playing time so that counts them out.

And by waiver wire I do mean that in the majority of 12 team mixed leagues they're undrafted. Also guaranteed playing time, maybe even 600 AB's for the year.
Last edited by NZF on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:46 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:There's a player on the waiver wire who will hit .300 with 100 runs and 50 steals? 8-o

Please tell me who I'm overlooking. I've got a team that is in need of extra steals. :-)

Probably not 50 SB's but maybe 40 along with 8-10 HR's, 100 runs and close to a .300 avg. All on the WW :-)

I was typing the above post as this one came in. My guess is either Gathright, or Nook Logan, with Gathright as the #1 guess. :-?

Neither Gathright or Logan are guaranteed playing time so that would be too big a risk.

And by waiver wire I do mean that in the majority of 12 team mixed leagues they're undrafted.

So if not those 2, who were you referring to who will match Pierre's statistics, or come close?? Or were you saying that by combining a few WW pickups and playing accordingly, you could supplement Pierre's stats? And if so, that's a waste of roster space (but I don't think that's what you were saying; but just in case).
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby NZF » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:51 am

You're getting warmer and why is it a waste of roster space? Maybe with very limited bench spots it is but who would play in a league like that?
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dhark » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:11 am

JP will definately improve over last year w/ the tall grass at Wrigley, but I would grab all 4 category guys before him. Which would put him in the middle of draft. Really it's mostly a matter of wether you really are hurting for SB. I would rather pick up infield players that can steal, and play power players in the OF. You dont find many power hitters @ SS or 2nd, why not get a guy like J Reyes or Freel. Not that these are in the same category...but just for instance off top of head. If all good infielders are taken then JP is definately a good option because you will get him much later than Ichiro and he will put up comparable #'s for the $.
Dhark
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:18 am

New Zealand Fan wrote:
Madison wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:

Neither Gathright or Logan are guaranteed playing time so that counts them out.

And by waiver wire I do mean that in the majority of 12 team mixed leagues they're undrafted. Also guaranteed playing time, maybe even 600 AB's for the year.

please don't tell them the name
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 642)

Postby ukrneal » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:54 am

For a player like Pierre, pods, etc. whose value relies pretty heavily on steals, I'm always leary of taking too early. I remember a couple years ago when his steals weren't there and his value plummeted. With a guy like Crawford, who will get you at least 15 Homers, the risk is somewhat offset (at least he won't be totally worthless). SO I agree that there is some nicer value to be had in later rounds, or just be sure to have a solid base before you take some of these guys.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby swyck » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:58 am

LiveForever wrote:Pierre is a 3 catagory player just like Adam Dunn excpet Pierre is better at what he does. Pierre will help your team in Runs, Average, and Stolenbases and hurt you in Homeruns and RBIs. Dunn will help you in Homeruns, RBIs, and runs but will hurt you in average and stolenbases. Adam Dunn goes around the 4th to 5th round so why shouldnt pierre?

People always ignore 3 cat guys if one of those cats isnt HRs. And avg seems to be the forgotten cat unless someone is under .270. :-[
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:09 am

swyck wrote:
LiveForever wrote:Pierre is a 3 catagory player just like Adam Dunn excpet Pierre is better at what he does. Pierre will help your team in Runs, Average, and Stolenbases and hurt you in Homeruns and RBIs. Dunn will help you in Homeruns, RBIs, and runs but will hurt you in average and stolenbases. Adam Dunn goes around the 4th to 5th round so why shouldnt pierre?

People always ignore 3 cat guys if one of those cats isnt HRs. And avg seems to be the forgotten cat unless someone is under .270. :-[

I noticed that avg had dropped off across both leagues and decided to use .270 as my avg 'threshold' instead of .300 b/c of it.

I think that I have possibly figured out who the waiverwonder is as he kind of sticks out in several leagues but I'm not sure...can we have some hints? :-)
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers