I have two observations so far this spring - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I have two observations so far this spring

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:09 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Philly Pride wrote:Yeah, who's Encarnacion hitting these off of exactly?

1) Lenny DiNardo
2) Ian Snell
3) Scott Baker - pretty legit
4) Randy Johnson -- I'm sure he gave a crap
5) Brad Radke - old and I'm sure he gave a crap
6) Willie Eyre -who??????

Why dont you put "I'm sure he gave a crap for everyone?"

Unless of course you spoke with RJ and Radke personally and they told you this.

I am sorry but i doubt any competitor goes out there and says I dont give two $hits about today. RJ and Radke dont strike me as two people that express this attitude. Usually players like this dont play that years. :-? :-? :-?

Actually, pitchers who have a spot sewn up in their rotations really don't care too much about HRs or Runs in ST. They are there to get there arms in shape and work on pitches. So he is actually right. Some guys fighting for jobs will try a little harder than the guys with them in their back pocket.

I still disagree with him but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Do you think if someone asked Randy Johnson if he doesnt give a crap during spring training that he would say that he doesnt care?

I think that real competitors always care and I would put Randy in this class.

Maybe I am looking at it objectively here but to say that someone has success against Randy because Randy didnt care doesnt sit well with me. I am willing to bet that Encarnicion had a good at bat instead of Randy not caring.

I guess its the whole glass is empty or half full theory. Some people can look at things in a positive way and some can think of it as a negative. I myself try to look at things in a positive way.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby foulballstrike3 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:24 am

Philly Pride wrote:
Cooner wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:
The Jury wrote:For the good players ST means nothing, but for the injured and the young it is quite meaningful.

Along these lines Edwin Encarnacion has hit 4 HR's in ST. I understand that it's really early but he's young, a solid prospect, and he will be hitting in Cincy's bandbox all year long. He's one guy I'm keeping an eye on in ST.

Someone had a quote last season that I'm going to bastardize for you...

"Fantasy Baseball Player says... 'OMG, Edwin Encarnacion has hit 4 HRs in ST already, he's gonna be a beast this year!!!'

Pitcher Facing Encarnacion says... 'This guy's a chump, it's time to get some arm workout time... fastball down the middle it is.' "

Yeah, who's Encarnacion hitting these off of exactly?

1) Lenny DiNardo
2) Ian Snell

Ha, that's actually pretty good for what people normally see in ST. Johnson and Radke, can't say anything there, and Baker and Snell aren't bad.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:51 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
TheRawDAWG wrote:
SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Philly Pride wrote:Yeah, who's Encarnacion hitting these off of exactly?

1) Lenny DiNardo
2) Ian Snell

Why dont you put "I'm sure he gave a crap for everyone?"

Unless of course you spoke with RJ and Radke personally and they told you this.

I am sorry but i doubt any competitor goes out there and says I dont give two $hits about today. RJ and Radke dont strike me as two people that express this attitude. Usually players like this dont play that years. :-? :-? :-?

Actually, pitchers who have a spot sewn up in their rotations really don't care too much about HRs or Runs in ST. They are there to get there arms in shape and work on pitches. So he is actually right. Some guys fighting for jobs will try a little harder than the guys with them in their back pocket.

I still disagree with him but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

Do you think if someone asked Randy Johnson if he doesnt give a crap during spring training that he would say that he doesnt care?

I think that real competitors always care and I would put Randy in this class.

Maybe I am looking at it objectively here but to say that someone has success against Randy because Randy didnt care doesnt sit well with me. I am willing to bet that Encarnicion had a good at bat instead of Randy not caring.

I guess its the whole glass is empty or half full theory. Some people can look at things in a positive way and some can think of it as a negative. I myself try to look at things in a positive way.

It's not that Randy doesn't care. It's that he isn't using his top notch stuff. ST is for pitchers to get ready for the season and try new things to see if they work. Now if you asked Randy if he would have prefered the homer never happened of course he'll say he'd rather it didn't happen. But make no mistake he pitches (like any vet) trying to get ready for the season. Trying new things and trying to stay healthy. Thats all Randy really cares about.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:45 pm

Do you think Randy Johnson is trying a lot of new stuff after being in the league for this long?
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:11 pm

If anything, I'd have to suspect the Unit is checking out his body as much as his stuff, seeing if he needs another quart in his knees or whatever. I got him on a team though, as I'm hoping he'll be a decent #2/#3 SP.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:46 pm

The Jury wrote:For the good players ST means nothing, but for the injured and the young it is quite meaningful.

The closer position in Atlanta is a prime example of this.....Devine keeps this up he will open as the closer......It will be too hard to keep him out. I think its also good to see potential greats like Young, Makarkis and Drew against SOME starters to see what they have. ST has false meaning but at the same token it has great meaning. Jury said it best.
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:52 pm

if the guys have testicles they give two $heets...IMO. Who the heck wants to get rocked?
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers