I have two observations so far this spring - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I have two observations so far this spring

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:05 pm

Music2004Man wrote:
Ender wrote:Ryan Howard with HR #5,6 today in ST. I have not been on his bandwagon so far but he sure is getting more and more tempting the more he jacks them.

Funny story about Howard with those HR's. I was at my draft on Saturday and we were all watching the Phil's game. After he hits the first one everyone starts talking him up just to mess with people and see if we can get him picked alittle too early. So he comes up for his next atbat and one guy says that if Howard hits another jack he's going to pick him this round. Howard jacks it and the guy is true to his work. He ended up going in the 11-12th round and people were giving him a lot of grief for it. I actually thought it was pretty solid considering what was on the board at the time.

I think Howard is the real deal as far as power is concerned. He will be just as valuable as Dunn in 06 IMO.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:10 pm

Yoda wrote:I think Howard is the real deal as far as power is concerned. He will be just as valuable as Dunn in 06 IMO.

I 'Dunn-o about that...Dunn is only 25 and I think that he's still learning, as it were and may have some upside, once you get past tons o' K. If he ever gets a handle on that, he may really be a monster.

I also think that there were wierd issues on the Reds, like Dunn and Griffey's lounge chairs being ejected from the locker room, that suggested to me that there may have been some saggy diapers that served as distractions in Cincy last year that could only get better?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Philly Pride » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:26 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
Yoda wrote:I think Howard is the real deal as far as power is concerned. He will be just as valuable as Dunn in 06 IMO.

I 'Dunn-o about that...Dunn is only 25 and I think that he's still learning, as it were and may have some upside, once you get past tons o' K. If he ever gets a handle on that, he may really be a monster.

I also think that there were wierd issues on the Reds, like Dunn and Griffey's lounge chairs being ejected from the locker room, that suggested to me that there may have been some saggy diapers that served as distractions in Cincy last year that could only get better?

The way Dunn hits, I think the reason Cincinnati is such a hitter's park is from all the wind he creates with his swing-and-misses. I'm surprised they haven't had like a tornado near that stadium or something. :-)
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:32 pm

I think Howard is the real deal as far as power is concerned. He will be just as valuable as Dunn in 06 IMO.

He could be although I think he's going to have problems matching Dunn's run totals and Dunn is obviously much more of a sure thing. I also think Dunn has more upside than what he has displayed, his contact rate and eye improved last year and the only reason his average went down was a low hit rate most likely caused by his broken hand. He very well could hit over .270 this year given his growth the past 2 years.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:16 am

Howard in the 11th or 12th round in that band box isn't all that bad of a pick. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Cooner » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:08 pm

Music2004Man wrote:
The Jury wrote:For the good players ST means nothing, but for the injured and the young it is quite meaningful.

Along these lines Edwin Encarnacion has hit 4 HR's in ST. I understand that it's really early but he's young, a solid prospect, and he will be hitting in Cincy's bandbox all year long. He's one guy I'm keeping an eye on in ST.

Someone had a quote last season that I'm going to bastardize for you...

"Fantasy Baseball Player says... 'OMG, Edwin Encarnacion has hit 4 HRs in ST already, he's gonna be a beast this year!!!'

Pitcher Facing Encarnacion says... 'This guy's a chump, it's time to get some arm workout time... fastball down the middle it is.' "
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Lung » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:00 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Howard in the 11th or 12th round in that band box isn't all that bad of a pick. ;-D

Howard in the 11th round is sick value.
The Lung
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Football Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Philly Pride » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:35 pm

Cooner wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:
The Jury wrote:For the good players ST means nothing, but for the injured and the young it is quite meaningful.

Along these lines Edwin Encarnacion has hit 4 HR's in ST. I understand that it's really early but he's young, a solid prospect, and he will be hitting in Cincy's bandbox all year long. He's one guy I'm keeping an eye on in ST.

Someone had a quote last season that I'm going to bastardize for you...

"Fantasy Baseball Player says... 'OMG, Edwin Encarnacion has hit 4 HRs in ST already, he's gonna be a beast this year!!!'

Pitcher Facing Encarnacion says... 'This guy's a chump, it's time to get some arm workout time... fastball down the middle it is.' "

Yeah, who's Encarnacion hitting these off of exactly?

1) Lenny DiNardo
2) Ian Snell
3) Scott Baker - pretty legit
4) Randy Johnson -- I'm sure he gave a crap
5) Brad Radke - old and I'm sure he gave a crap
6) Willie Eyre -who??????
Philly Pride
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:51 pm

Philly Pride wrote:Yeah, who's Encarnacion hitting these off of exactly?

1) Lenny DiNardo
2) Ian Snell

Why dont you put "I'm sure he gave a crap for everyone?"

Unless of course you spoke with RJ and Radke personally and they told you this.

I am sorry but i doubt any competitor goes out there and says I dont give two $hits about today. RJ and Radke dont strike me as two people that express this attitude. Usually players like this dont play that years. :-? :-? :-?
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:10 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:
Philly Pride wrote:Yeah, who's Encarnacion hitting these off of exactly?

1) Lenny DiNardo
2) Ian Snell

Why dont you put "I'm sure he gave a crap for everyone?"

Unless of course you spoke with RJ and Radke personally and they told you this.

I am sorry but i doubt any competitor goes out there and says I dont give two $hits about today. RJ and Radke dont strike me as two people that express this attitude. Usually players like this dont play that years. :-? :-? :-?

Actually, pitchers who have a spot sewn up in their rotations really don't care too much about HRs or Runs in ST. They are there to get there arms in shape and work on pitches. So he is actually right. Some guys fighting for jobs will try a little harder than the guys with them in their back pocket.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers