I have two observations so far this spring - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I have two observations so far this spring

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:01 am

Here're some under the radar guys who are hitting well, after getting plenty of ABs this ST:

Betemit, Victorino, Victor Diaz, Ellison, Gall, Alexander Hernandez, Kevin Thompson, Tiffee, Bloomquist, Hawpe, Kerry Robinson, McCracken, Abercrombie, Dubois, Garko, Joel Guzman, Helms, Hollins, Linden, Sadler, Uggla
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dewey finn » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:45 pm

Barmes was really good in ST last year if I recall.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby AtlDynasty25 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:55 pm

Also, didn't Schmidt get hammered in a couple of spring starts last year? That was pretty foreboding.
AtlDynasty25
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:29 pm

Ryan Howard with HR #5,6 today in ST. I have not been on his bandwagon so far but he sure is getting more and more tempting the more he jacks them.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby matmat » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:41 pm

JakeTrain72 wrote:I thought ST was played so people like us could go back and forth and try to figure out if it means anything. Then when we get sick of debating the topic, the season opens and we all go along for the ride forgetting ST until next year.

heh... and there i was thinking the only point of spring training was to make people like us worry about injuries people we already drafted might sustain.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jvmillion83 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:13 pm

Spring Training matters if you are smart enough to separate things that you should pay attention to and things that you should take with a grain of salt. The Gabe Gross, Andruw Jones thing for example doesn't even compare. Gross is almost penciled in as a career backup OF while Andruw Jones has been a promising hitter for so long now, going into a season where he was 27 or 28. We even heard reports that the batting stance change was helping him. Rule number 1 to ST; know how good a guy is before you look deeper into their ST performance.

I dont think its accurate to say that you should just ignore everything that has happened. For example, Johnny Gomes has been on a tear since Mexican winter ball in 04 and still on one in the spring. And hes 25 so its not like a 31 year old backup OF has 8 hrs already. But Andy Tracy of the Orioles has also been on a tear but we all know that his role isn't as big as Gomes. He knows he has no future playing an important role w a big league club.
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nuggets » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:40 am

Too add to your "know how good they are" though. Well first off, isn't ST part of learning how good they are? Anyway I think you might be on to something with the Gomes insight. He's always shown power and put that together with a good average in his second year of AAA ball, which translated to good power and average when he was called up. I don't think he'll ever look back, 85/30/85/10/.275 That's a nice season to be had in later rounds.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ramble2 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:26 am

jvmillion83 wrote:Spring Training matters if you are smart enough to separate things that you should pay attention to and things that you should take with a grain of salt. The Gabe Gross, Andruw Jones thing for example doesn't even compare. Gross is almost penciled in as a career backup OF while Andruw Jones has been a promising hitter for so long now, going into a season where he was 27 or 28. We even heard reports that the batting stance change was helping him. Rule number 1 to ST; know how good a guy is before you look deeper into their ST performance.

I dont think its accurate to say that you should just ignore everything that has happened. For example, Johnny Gomes has been on a tear since Mexican winter ball in 04 and still on one in the spring. And hes 25 so its not like a 31 year old backup OF has 8 hrs already. But Andy Tracy of the Orioles has also been on a tear but we all know that his role isn't as big as Gomes. He knows he has no future playing an important role w a big league club.

This all sounds pretty reasonable.

Spring training can be useful in determing playing time and roster decisions. But, keep in mind that the WBC is creating all kinds of playing time opportunities which otherwise wouldn't happen. It makes it that much more difficult to decipher ST stuff this season.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:36 am

I look at Spring Training as one month of a long season of baseball. Take any 1 month period and you will see just as many slumps and breakouts as you see in Spring Training.

I dont think there are many guys you can actually look at for only 1 month of the full season that actually counts and say it means anything more than spring training.

When it comes to getting stats I can show yout ons of guys that had great or horrible Months during the regular season but it doesnt make sense for anyone to judge any player in baseball over 1 month period even if it is the regular season.

If a guy hits .450 during the month of Spring Training in my eyes it is no different than a guy hitting .450 during June. May and July he could hit .220
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Music2004Man » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:55 pm

Ender wrote:Ryan Howard with HR #5,6 today in ST. I have not been on his bandwagon so far but he sure is getting more and more tempting the more he jacks them.

Funny story about Howard with those HR's. I was at my draft on Saturday and we were all watching the Phil's game. After he hits the first one everyone starts talking him up just to mess with people and see if we can get him picked alittle too early. So he comes up for his next atbat and one guy says that if Howard hits another jack he's going to pick him this round. Howard jacks it and the guy is true to his work. He ended up going in the 11-12th round and people were giving him a lot of grief for it. I actually thought it was pretty solid considering what was on the board at the time.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers