I have two observations so far this spring - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I have two observations so far this spring

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:08 am

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Hmm, how did Greg Gross do in spring training last year?

That is the most recent best example of why not to use spring training in judging a player.

As I said, you only give a slight nudge. Since Gross didn't even make my ranking sheet last year, a slight nudge did nothing for him. If you have 6 players ranked all in the same range as Edwin Encarnacion this year than I would simply nudge him to the top of that 6 because he's doing so well in spring.

What you are really looking for is injured players who are healthy this year(burrell last year), young players who seem to be adjusting to the league(Edwin this year) and older players who have changed their approach at the plate.(jones last year). Again I can't stress enough not to worry about it until the last week or two of spring training and don't go overboard, if all you do is give them a small bonus for how they do in spring training you really can't lose. You don't want to suddenly jump them up 3 rounds in your draft but moving them over the 3 or 4 guys directly above them is worth it.

There have been studies that show that large jumps in spring training OPS generally are indicators of better seasons, there is a small blurb about it in Shandler's book. Dont' go overboard or anything but don't just ignore spring training either.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:43 am

Actually it is Gabe Gross. He was Barry Bonds like in spring 05.

Spring Training does matter regardless of what people may say. The stats do not but who is jocking for playing time, injured, coming back from injury and for pitchers what new pitches they are working on (Ben Sheets 04), etc. Playing time is the biggest one as if you paid attention in 05, players like Cantu earned their way to a full time gig and made the best of it. Edwin Encarnacion is a good one to keep an eye on. I'm carefully monitoring Foulke as I think Hansen is going to be the closer by May.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: I have two observations so far this spring

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:47 am

SHOCKandAWE wrote:OVerall it seems that teams are stealing at a much greater rate this spring than in the past.
Maybe that's true but pitchers aren't worried about holding runners in ST. They are working on their pitches. Guys could run wild in ST if they wanted to.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:50 am

I don't know why I typed Greg instead of Gabe, thanks for catching that.

At this point, Gabe might wish he had Greg's career.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JakeTrain72 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:27 am

I thought ST was played so people like us could go back and forth and try to figure out if it means anything. Then when we get sick of debating the topic, the season opens and we all go along for the ride forgetting ST until next year.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dodger33 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:16 pm

Spring Training does matter...Last year Andrew Jones lead the pre season in homers...and though he started off slow he ended up leading the majors in bombs with 52 . so there is a reason to pay attention.
dodger33
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby GSes » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:47 pm

Zito is God wrote:My observation: Spring Training does not matter.

lol, gotta agree with that statement! The studs will be studs, the duds will be duds, it happens every year, thinhs u usally go like they are supposed 2!
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:04 pm

Ender has it right on the money. If your smart you will pay attention to what happens in spring but then again if you are smart you won't go overboard with what you see, good or bad. Take it for what it is and adjust accordingly.....

....pretty much what Ender said is correct!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby TEKTON » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:54 pm

say what you want about ST, but im enjoying the sight of seeing which pitchers in the WCS are clocking 95-96MPH in march. As far as hitting, i dont watch much but Pujols is off to the same tear as last ST.
TEKTON
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ditka311 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:52 am

In that case, Ryan Sweeney (White Sox OF) hit his 3rd HR this spring today. He had a stellar 2004 spring when he was 19 but had a bit of a rough time last year at AA. Problem was he kept tweaking his swing instead of using his normal swing when he felt he was slumping.

He's only 21 but he is looking like a player to watch.
Ditka311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers