strategy for roto? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

strategy for roto?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

strategy for roto?

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:32 pm

I have played in one previous roto league and that was Yahoo! public :*)

Just want to know how the draft strategy differ? If you have links, suggestions, great! :-B

Thank you in advance
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:37 pm

Read the thread above, titled "Importance of Draft/Roto Strategy"

The main difference between Roto and Points is that you have to be worried about categories. You can't just take the highest rated player at every position, you have to look at, "do I need stolen bases or HR's more?" "should I pick up the guy that will give me a lot of wins, or go for a guy that pitches for a worse team, but will give me better ratios?"

That said, there's a lot of info on this site related to roto. But suffice it to say, go with whatever rankings you can find, and just try to balance things between the different categories.

Don't completely ignore any categories - some people "punt" a category, but in general it doesn't work. Instead of deciding to flat out punt a category, you might say, "I won't draft any closers before round 15", and then in round 15 and 16 you just draft any closers or near-closers that are still available. On the other hand, I think a balanced drafting strategy is still the best, and remember - hitters tend to be more consistent than pitchers, so take pitcher projections with a grain of salt, unless they have performed at the same level for several years in a row.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:40 pm

I meant I've been playing H2H forever now. Never played in a point league other than Football
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby EugeneStyles » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:17 pm

Well, if it's H2H with categories, then it's not that much different from Roto, depending on what categories your H2H leagues use.

The main thing about H2H with categories is that you need consistency. That's not true of standard Roto, because you can stick players on the bench (assuming you have a decent size bench available) when they're cold, and ride their hot streaks.

In H2H with categories, you can also load up on a particular category in a particular week if you feel like you need to. In Roto, you will have more trouble making up ground in a category if you fall behind. And there's less leniency in punting categories - you're competing against 12 teams every week, not just one.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby olympia0731 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:48 pm

Basicaly the differenece in roto, is that you have to draft for balance, and more so than H2H. In roto, you do not want to dominate any single cat, instead you should aim to barely win, or be top three in most cats. So to implement this to your strategy what would I suugest?
The answer takes a few steps.

1: Make your target totals for all stat cats. Hopefully these totals are realistic and put you top three in each cat.

2: During your draft, do not punt a cat. Here what I maped out for myself, for each round. These are not written out in stone, because in ever draft players slip farther then you expect. Also keep in mind that you should also try to take the best value i each pick.

Round One and two: I try to draft the best balance of hitting available. Preferbly I would like to draft two 5 cat producers, but If you draft a Tex make sure to draft a player with steals in the next round to balance your team: a Reyez Figgins type.

Rounsd three: I draft the best Sp available.

round four: I try to draft the hitter available, unless one of the very Elite pitchers slips. This happens often in many draft this year.

Round five: If you drafted a hitter in round four Draft a closer, if you drafted a pitcher draft the best hitter.

round six: Draft whatever you did not in round five: a closer, or hitter.

By the way, as the draft progresses keep your targets in mind as you draft players. For the rest of the draft, select the players that fill your a=category needs.

Now on to the season. I only have a few things to say.

1: Trade away strength for weakness

2: Buy low sell high early in the season. For example, last year at the allstar break I traded Brian Roberts for Todd Helton, this trade was the defining moment in my season, as Helton went on a tear.

Hope this helps ';-D'
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Red for life » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:24 pm

Make your target totals for all stat cats. Hopefully these totals are realistic and put you top three in each cat.

What are good targets for each major category? Thanks
Red for life
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby olympia0731 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:28 pm

They was a topic about this by Rynman, search for it.

hope this helps.
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:47 pm

In Roto balance is what wins. Punting a category in H2H isn't that bad, there's still 9 left to win traditionally. In roto it's often a terrible idea, since you'd have to finish top 2-3 in every other category.

Play match-ups more in roto, as bad starts can affect you throughout the season. Don't be afraid to only start Odalis Perez half the time, bench an left handed batter against a LHP, etc.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:55 pm

So you still draft mediocre pitching(Suppan) but you play the matchup?

I thought you avoid mediocre pitching... Thanks for clearing it up
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby great gretzky » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:35 am

well, you aim to not screw up your ratios early. Its like the difference between defending an a in college, or starting with a c and trying to build up. for whatever reason, the latter is harder.

I'd also say the one thing with roto unlike points is that in points, the team you are chasing can move forward while you do. In roto, you can move backwards. So you can move forward and pull the guy backwards.

In head to head you can ignore certain categories or stats, not so in roto. Claosers, basestealers have abnormal value. Thing is, unless they come to the cafe/are experts, a lot of poeple have a hard time at the intermediate level and below, valuing closers and basestealers. Sos ometimes, your trading strategy can exploit that. In points, you cna just calculate their value, and its yea or nay. Roto, is more like chess, while points/head to head is checkers. Roto is an art and a science.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers