trade rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

trade rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

trade rumors

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:28 pm

Cardinals Kicking Tires On Cabrera

That's right, a friend of MLBTradeRumors informs us that a team source has confirmed that the Cardinals are "checking into" Miguel Cabrera. An unknown third team would definitely be involved to broker a deal.

Seems to me that Jocketty's been looking to make that big splash all offseason, and obviously this would qualify. I would expect Anthony Reyes to depart as well as whatever other big-name prospect the team could wrangle. Reyes fits the bill as a Major League-ready, front rotation type starter. The Cards would use Cabrera in left field and could improve the club by as many as five wins with the addition.

Jason Marquis for Victor Diaz?

Just got word from my main Mets source with all sorts of good info.

With Pedro's status a question mark at this point, Omar Minaya would like to add a proven veteran starting pitcher to the middle of the rotation. The Mets first preference is Jason Marquis (a New York native, for what it's worth). They've offered a package beginning with Victor Diaz to entice Walt Jocketty. Diaz would probably be an upgrade over the Cards' current left field options. The Mets aren't thrilled with Diaz's defense and would be content to try Xavier Nady in right field.

Other options include two Boston starters. The Mets would love to bring Matt Clement back to the NL, but they don't want to give up a lot to get him and are wary of his salary. Bronson Arroyo's name has also come up.

The White Sox could also be a factor if they decide to part with Jose Contreras.

Keep an eye this spring on the right field battle, Pedro's toe, and the 4th-5th starter spots in the rotation. A spring trade is a good possibility.

The Soriano thing has pretty much been debunked; the Mets will see where Kaz Matsui takes them and then try Anderson Hernandez as needed.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am

The M-Cab rumor is interesting but I don't think it will happen.
I have to think the Cards can get more for Marquis than Diaz.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby longshotwi » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:48 pm

Boy that would be big to have Cabrera in the lineup :-) I wish it would happen!!
longshotwi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby longshotwi » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:49 pm

^^^^Miguel that is..^^^
longshotwi
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:24 am

I don't understand why the Marlins would have any interest in trading Cabrera. In their current youth movement, M-Cab is their veteran now and for the future.

Pogotheostrich wrote:I have to think the Cards can get more for Marquis than Diaz.

I have to think that the loss of Marquis would greatly outweigh the gain, if any, received from Diaz.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:28 pm

I've always been fascinated with the idea of bringing Cabrera to STL. Seems like the Cards would have the inside track if the Marlins ever did decide to deal him since he and Pujols are so close. That would definitely sure up one of the corner OF spots, eh? :-L

Pogotheostrich wrote:I have to think the Cards can get more for Marquis than Diaz.

I agree. I'm not the biggest Marquis fan out there (as I'm sure most of you are aware) but they should be able to get more for him than that. :-?
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Return to St. Louis Cardinals