The Boss - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Boss

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TB13 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:47 pm

Madison wrote:Hard to blame any owner for preferring that his investments (players in this case) don't wind up hurt right before the start of the season.

I'd have loved to see all the major leaguers play and represent their countries, but I do understand it from the business side (the owners), and the personal side (the players).

Hard for me to fault anyone.

Very well said.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1197
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Xanadu

Postby El Gaupo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:48 pm

Hard to believe I'm writing this but I'm going to side with Georgie. These players are too valuable to be playing in the WBC.

However, I would like to see the allstar game changed to the US verses the world
El Gaupo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 576
Joined: 4 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:49 pm

There are 1,500,000,000 people in China, if only .05% of them were to become Yankees' fans for whatever reason (Wang?) there's 750,000 hats right out the door...Sure the market in NYC is large but China is quite a bit more ginormous...

I did watch a bit of the games yesterday on DVR and it looked like everybody there was pretty into it. ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby mtarail » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:56 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:No, you are not the only one. I've been a Yankee fan for almost 40 years now, through teams that ranged from horrible to great. But as I grow older, I find I have less and less tolerance with the childish behavior of George. I know he wants to win, and as a fan I appreciate that, but some of the enjoyment, at least for me, is taken out when you essentially buy the title. Yes, I know they still have to play the game on the field and there is no guarantee they will win, but I like to see players develop and become someone I have a rooting interest for rather than importing the flavor of the month free agent. It is why to me the Yankees of today are the Yankees of Jeter and Bernie, and will be until they are gone. I have no real rooting fervor for players like Sheffield, ARod or Johnson, I hope they do well because that gives the team a better chance of winning, but they are nothing but mercenaries to me.


Amen. One of the most heartfelt posts I've seen on this site in awhile and I couldn't agree more. ;-D
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:59 pm

El Gaupo wrote:Hard to believe I'm writing this but I'm going to side with Georgie. These players are too valuable to be playing in the WBC.

However, I would like to see the allstar game changed to the US verses the world

There's no chance of something like that so soon after MLB made it so the game determined home field in the WS.
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby WittyC » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:11 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:There are 1,500,000,000 people in China, if only .05% of them were to become Yankees' fans for whatever reason (Wang?) there's 750,000 hats right out the door...Sure the market in NYC is large but China is quite a bit more ginormous...

I did watch a bit of the games yesterday on DVR and it looked like everybody there was pretty into it. ;-D


This is a great point. The MLB should be doing everything it can to further the international interest in their sport. The NBA has had great success in this venture, and Major League Baseball needs to tap into these markets.

Not only will the increased interest raise revenues, but if more kids around the world are growing up playing baseball, it will actually increase the competitive balance of the league.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1096
Joined: 3 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dillon, CO

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:22 pm

WittyC wrote:Not only will the increased interest raise revenues, but if more kids around the world are growing up playing baseball, it will actually increase the competitive balance of the league.


Although I don't know if they'd be able to breed quick wrists the same way they sort of manufactured Yao Ming... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact