The Boss - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Boss

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Boss

Postby wroclawredsox » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:10 pm

Am I the only one upset Steinbrenner has done all he can to get his players not to represent their countries? There would be outrage if an NBA owner did the same thing. How about hockey, soccer, rugby( great world cup to watch- couldn't tell you who almost all of the players are though) or almost any other national team sport.

We should chastise all those who refused to participate without injuries, and salute those who have gone. I have never heard so many lame excuses, but then there is the international drug testing policy. Makes one wonder.
wroclawredsox
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:15 pm

If a player doesn't want to participate, that's fine. Many need extra practice to fit in with a new team, compete for a starting job, whatever. That's totally their own decision, and I'm cool with that.

When owners and managers demand that players don't play, that's something else, especially if they're being as noisy and ignorant as Steinbrenner.
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:25 pm

Hard to blame any owner for preferring that his investments (players in this case) don't wind up hurt right before the start of the season.

I'd have loved to see all the major leaguers play and represent their countries, but I do understand it from the business side (the owners), and the personal side (the players).

Hard for me to fault anyone.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Re: The Boss

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:35 pm

wroclawredsox wrote:Am I the only one upset Steinbrenner has done all he can to get his players not to represent their countries? There would be outrage if an NBA owner did the same thing. How about hockey, soccer, rugby( great world cup to watch- couldn't tell you who almost all of the players are though) or almost any other national team sport.

We should chastise all those who refused to participate without injuries, and salute those who have gone. I have never heard so many lame excuses, but then there is the international drug testing policy. Makes one wonder.

An owner is supposed to protect his and his fans/teams interests and not give a rat's behind about some meaningless exhibition games no one really cares about and expose his players to undue risk. If Arod blows out his arm and misses the season playing in this idiotic WBC, what is George suppose to do, thank Bud Selig for ruining the Yanks pennant chances? Give me a break.

In May, no one will remember this idiotic WBC...no one will care and hopefully the idea is buried forever. Outside of Selig and some money grubbers in MLB hierarchy, this is a total waste and I really want to see what happens when the first big name player gets seriously hurt playing in one of these idiotic games.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:05 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
wroclawredsox wrote:Am I the only one upset Steinbrenner has done all he can to get his players not to represent their countries? There would be outrage if an NBA owner did the same thing. How about hockey, soccer, rugby( great world cup to watch- couldn't tell you who almost all of the players are though) or almost any other national team sport.

An owner is supposed to protect his and his fans/teams interests and not give a rat's behind about some meaningless exhibition games no one really cares about and expose his players to undue risk. If Arod blows out his arm and misses the season playing in this idiotic WBC, what is George suppose to do, thank Bud Selig for ruining the Yanks pennant chances? Give me a break.

In May, no one will remember this idiotic WBC...no one will care and hopefully the idea is buried forever. Outside of Selig and some money grubbers in MLB hierarchy, this is a total waste and I really want to see what happens when the first big name player gets seriously hurt playing in one of these idiotic games.

as opposed to getting injured in spring training? sheesh. players can get hurt tooling around at home. (chris barmes, anyone?)

some players are taking it very seriously and it is the type of which grows the sport.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Matthias wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

as opposed to getting injured in spring training? sheesh. players can get hurt tooling around at home. (chris barmes, anyone?)

some players are taking it very seriously and it is the type of which grows the sport.

I doubt too many elite players are trying too hard/getting into much of anything in early March normally. The liklihood of some idiot deciding to take the WBC seriously and do something he is not ready for yet is much higher than in some March 6th grapefruit league game between two intrasquad teams. No pitcher is chancing anything on the mound at this point.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:12 pm

Considering the WBC is an extremely flawed event at best and a complete debacle at worst, no it doesn't upset me. He also hasn't done anything to stop his players from playing other than telling Posada not to play just like almost every owner told their starting catcher. He's been more vocal about being against the thing but he still has plenty of players playing in it.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Matthias » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:39 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:I doubt too many elite players are trying too hard/getting into much of anything in early March normally. The liklihood of some idiot deciding to take the WBC seriously and do something he is not ready for yet is much higher than in some March 6th grapefruit league game between two intrasquad teams. No pitcher is chancing anything on the mound at this point.

then they won't get injured. where's your beef?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cjd92280 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:56 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:
Matthias wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:

I doubt too many elite players are trying too hard/getting into much of anything in early March normally. The liklihood of some idiot deciding to take the WBC seriously and do something he is not ready for yet is much higher than in some March 6th grapefruit league game between two intrasquad teams. No pitcher is chancing anything on the mound at this point.

Funny, cuz if any other owner said this and steinhitler actually was for the WBC, then you would be saying how great it is...you Idiot.
cjd92280
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:41 pm

No, you are not the only one. I've been a Yankee fan for almost 40 years now, through teams that ranged from horrible to great. But as I grow older, I find I have less and less tolerance with the childish behavior of George. I know he wants to win, and as a fan I appreciate that, but some of the enjoyment, at least for me, is taken out when you essentially buy the title. Yes, I know they still have to play the game on the field and there is no guarantee they will win, but I like to see players develop and become someone I have a rooting interest for rather than importing the flavor of the month free agent. It is why to me the Yankees of today are the Yankees of Jeter and Bernie, and will be until they are gone. I have no real rooting fervor for players like Sheffield, ARod or Johnson, I hope they do well because that gives the team a better chance of winning, but they are nothing but mercenaries to me.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers