Baseball Speech - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Baseball Speech

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball Speech

Postby Spiegs1106 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:13 pm

For school, I am in a public speaking contest. I need to choose a speech, memorize it and speak for about 5 minutes. I really want to go a baseball speech. What is a really good famous one.
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:17 pm

in 5 minutes? Jack Buck after 9/11
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Spiegs1106 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:25 pm

Phatferd wrote:in 5 minutes? Jack Buck after 9/11

Six days had passed since the horrific, unspeakable terrorist attack that took the lives of more than 3,500 people and destroyed extraordinary buildings in ugly clouds of black and gray dust and ash.

Only six days had passed, and the world was no longer the same. For certain, America was no longer the same. Hearts were heavy. There was still disbelief in the air. Sadness too. Fear and anger, as well.

But life, at some point, had to return to some kind of normalcy. The anger and sadness felt for the families of the victims, for all the heroes of 9/11, will never subside, ever, but life still had to go on. Family beckoned. Work and chores too. Living life as it should be, the way it's supposed to be.

The entertainment and sports world had to get back to work too. People had to start laughing again, even though it hurt a little, even made you feel a little guilty. Sports was needed, only if to take your mind off that unforgettable day of horror, despair and helplessness.
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:27 pm

Lou Gherig
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:32 pm

I don't know if this if five minutes, but a quality speech nonetheless:

Lou Gehrig wrote:"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans.

"Look at these grand men. Which of you wouldn’t consider it the highlight of his career just to associate with them for even one day? Sure, I’m lucky. Who wouldn’t consider it an honor to have known Jacob Ruppert? Also, the builder of baseball’s greatest empire, Ed Barrow? To have spent six years with that wonderful little fellow, Miller Huggins? Then to have spent the next nine years with that outstanding leader, that smart student of psychology, the best manager in baseball today, Joe McCarthy? Sure, I’m lucky.

"When the New York Giants, a team you would give your right arm to beat, and vice versa, sends you a gift - that’s something. When everybody down to the groundskeepers and those boys in white coats remember you with trophies - that’s something. When you have a wonderful mother-in-law who takes sides with you in squabbles with her own daughter - that’s something. When you have a father and a mother who work all their lives so you can have an education and build your body - it’s a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed - that’s the finest I know.

"So I close in saying that I may have had a tough break, but I have an awful lot to live for."

Also, the James Earl Jones bit from Field of Dreams was cool.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stevethumb » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:16 pm

google some of the HOF acceptance speeches...ted williams' was particularly poignant (his plea for negro leaguers to enter the hall)....also bart giamatti had some very eloquent moments

http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/side ... speech.htm
Last edited by stevethumb on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:26 pm

stevethumb wrote:google some of the HOF acceptance speeches...ted williams' was particularly poignant (his plea for negro leaguers to enter the hall)....also bart giamatti had some very eloquent moments

Stay away from the Fisk speech....I think he is still going :-b
dream_017
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

CafeholicFootball ModLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:44 pm

Good suggestions there. Gehrig was the first to come to mind for me, too, but that's an awfully tough speech to reenact...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Spiegs1106 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:19 pm

any other suggestions
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RyanK » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:51 pm

I did the james earl jones speech from field of dreams in my speech class last year.. its around 5 min...

Ray, people will come Ray. They'll come to Iowa for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll turn up your driveway not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll arrive at your door as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you look around, you'll say. It's only $20 per person. They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll walk out to the bleachers; sit in shirtsleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Ray. The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Return to General Talk