Strategy for H2H leagues with TONS of categories - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy for H2H leagues with TONS of categories

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby schmidty » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:32 pm

I'm pretty new to FB and someone asked me about joining their H2H league (just a "for fun" league), with a 12 team limit on Yahoo. But I'm kind of taken aback by the scoring categories the commisioner set up for it. There are 30 categories: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, CS, BB, HBP, K, TB, AVG, OBP, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, ER, HR, BB, HBP, K, WP, HLD, TB, ERA, WHIP. There is min IP of 21/wk (which looks pretty essential, because otherwise you'd dominate in 10/15 pitching categories with just relievers). My mind boggles at the thought of so many categories. What alternate strategy (if any) does one have in this case, as opposed to a more standard 5x5? At least initially, it looks like the best approach would be to draft the most balanced team you can, and not worry about any "oddball" categories. Any other ideas?
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Eagle Baseball » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:13 pm

With that many catagories just try to have a balanced team and don't worry about any one stat. That being said and saying that I have never played in a league like this I do think that I would concentrate on speed more than in a 5X5 league.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kemper5 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:15 pm

My league is almost identical scoring wise, I have every catagory but 3 (OBP,TB,WHIP). True in that you really have to get well rounded guys. Pitching is extremely valuable in my league (10 pt for W,SV and only -5 for L,BS) So usually pitchers score tons of points.. Good Luck!
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby swyck » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:55 pm

I disagree with the speed statement. Only a few cats are straight speed - SB and 3B, and CS is a negative. Maybe 1B.

I would concentrate on solid all around players. Keep an eye on the negative cats, and the rates. I'd look at OPS as the stat that will tell you about OBP, AVG and the counting categories.

As for pitching, the cats favor relievers, but the 21 innings means you can't just load up on them ignoring SPs. I'd load up all the RP and P slots with relievers, both closers and middle relief. Try to get some good starters for your SP slots, and then one or two on the bench max.

Get at least one stud SP, and one stud closer, but concentrate on top bats, especially those with good rates and power. HBP is a toss up that I'd ignore, and I wouldnt give speed a second thought.

I like leagues like this as a fun change from straight 5x5.
Last edited by swyck on Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Dr. StrangeGlove » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 pm

I would target speedier types like Reyes, Crawford, Figgins who can cover 4 categories 1b, 2b, 3b, sb and balance it off with a good OBP player.
Dr. StrangeGlove
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby suppasonic » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:10 am

I see a lot more importance on middle relievers here. Because its head to head, you have no need to worry about winning CG or SHO, because they are so rare you can never count on them.

Because ER, HR, BB, HBP, HLD, SV, TB, and L are all categories that favor having a lot of closers/top middle relief, and the categories that favor starters are W, (CG/SHO), K, and W, I would consider just drafting one stud starter, one of the inning eater mid tier starters like Livan or Lowe, and the rest middle relievers.

Your starters will notch you about 15 innings a week (Lets say one makes two starts and the other makes 1 at 5 innings a start). With 5-6 relievers, making the minimum innings pitched should be simple.

As for hitters, I would just approach it like you normally would and stack power hitters with your 1-2 SB guys. I wouldnt really suggest anything on offense besides the fact that I would go for power more than SB, and when/if you do draft SB guys, avoid taking the "big guns" like Pierre and Pods, because they tend to have really high CS counts. Spread your SB around with a couple 20 steal guys like Torii Hunter.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby dannyolbb » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:28 am

Assuming your league has the normal level of hitters v. pitchers, I'd invest heavily in closers. There are far more stats that count against pitchers than against batters. If you have 3-4 top closers and a couple of top holds guys, you'll win 8 out of 10 pitching cats per week. You'll have 5 guys going almost every day so your ratios will be good. If I were pre-ranking for your league, I'd put 5 closers in my top ten, give or take.

Once you get down to drafting hitters in round 5-6, I'd go in the same order I'd take them in for a 5x5 league.

But it's heavily weighted towards relievers in your league. And saves are more scarce than holds, so you've got to take them first.
[size=18]03[/size]
dannyolbb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby suppasonic » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:23 am

And at this league, once you get down to guys like Fuentes, Gordon, Jenks, Gonzalez, etc, it may be worth it to pick a Shields/Linebrick/Durscherer ahead of them.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:33 am

I've been in one of these mass-cat leagues for a few years now, and have had some success by working from this baseline:

Hitters: OBP rules (start with solid bb to k ratio, then aim for power-speed combo guys over those who leave you dry in more than one or two cats).

Pitchers: WHIP, K/9 and K/BB leaders will generally set you up well to start. Definitely follow the advice from previous posters to target top middle relievers, particularly those who excel in the cats I've mentioned. The vulture wins are nice bonus.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers