Why does Internet Explorer suck? My webpage is screwed up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Why does Internet Explorer suck? My webpage is screwed up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why does Internet Explorer suck? My webpage is screwed up

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:05 pm

OK, so I'm working a different version of my webpage on Bravenet. I've been able to easily do WYSIWYG editing as well as some simple cutting and pasting in HTML. I've been doing everything in Firefox/Mozilla and its looked nice. Then I realized I should check out how it looks in IE as well since some people checking the page may not use Firefox. Everything looks relatively ok but for whatever reason the left column that has my site navigation looks jacked up. What the hell? I don't even know how to go about fixing whatever is wrong with it.
Last edited by ironman on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:13 pm

I noticed that too when I made a webpage once...It would not center stuff that was centered in Mozilla...
Weird huh :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:18 pm

IE has always worked just fine for me. Still never tried Firefox, but maybe some day I'll check it out.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:36 pm

I downloaded Firefox because everyone said it was better than IE and would prevent viruses, etc...after using it for about a week my computer was infected with crap that caused some serious damage. I removed the program, went back to IE, and haven't had any more problems.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Firefox is much better than IE.

Pop-up blocker, tabbed browsing, custom skins, custom search bars...
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:33 pm

I recently downloaded IE 7 Beta and I must say it's impressive; it has the features that made Firefox make IE 6 look like garbage. Tabbed browsing more than anything is a feature I've learned that I cannot live without; especially during draft season when I have multiple pages that I reference at the same time (along with a window for the cafe of course). Seriously, I went to work once and they still had IE 6 and I found that I was not only frustrated, but my productivity sucked.

But, IE 7 lacks a key feature that I utilize in firefox daily, and that is the Find feature; that is, in firefox, the find function is actually on bar right above the status bar that actually finds the words as you type. Microsoft is still using that horribly antiquated "find window" that pops up and only allows you to search for one word at a time. I hate it. So, Firefox still wins.

As for viewing web pages, I say, if people are still using IE... good riddance.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:55 pm

IE is the biggest worthless piece of garbage ever. Pop ups everywhere and no customizable features.

Firefox rules. You can even download a plug in taht lets you switch the browser to IE if the website does not support Firefox.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:08 pm

Yoda wrote:IE is the biggest worthless piece of garbage ever. Pop ups everywhere and no customizable features.

I use IE and have zero pop up problems. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Different browsers display differently and that's how it's always going to be. One trick I've found is to put everything inside nested tables with 0 border widths (thus invisible). Those hold your text and images in one place so they display almost exactly the same in both IE and Firefox.

What program are you using? Don't tell me you're cutting and pasting code in Notepad. :-b
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby ironman » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:41 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:Different browsers display differently and that's how it's always going to be. One trick I've found is to put everything inside nested tables with 0 border widths (thus invisible). Those hold your text and images in one place so they display almost exactly the same in both IE and Firefox.

What program are you using? Don't tell me you're cutting and pasting code in Notepad. :-b

No Bravenet has their own editor online. I think the problem is that the free templates aren't all that great and aren't meant for huge amounts of content. I tried like 4 different templates, and even monkeyed around with style sheet to make it work in IE and all of them had issues.

Oh well, my site on Tripod works fine, Bravenet just had some templates that looked much sharper. But I've got a good grasp on my format on Tripod and can edit them with Mozilla Composer and transfer it over pretty easily.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Return to General Talk