My First Keeper Draft...How Did I do? (whir) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My First Keeper Draft...How Did I do? (whir)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My First Keeper Draft...How Did I do? (whir)

Postby zimbaloo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:30 am

Ok guys I am really pumped about the season and have joined my first Keeper league ever.

It is a 10 Team Keeper, h2h, 5x5 scoring. At the end of each year we get to keep 5 players. It lasts for three years.
I just drafted last night and I am eager to get your opinions. In parentheses is the round in which I drafted that particualr player.

C- Javy Lopez (11th round)
1b- Carlos Delagado (5th round)
2b- Mark Ellis (16th round)
3b- Chone Figgins (3rd round)
SS- Michael Young (2nd round)
OF- Manny Ramirez (1st round)
OF- Pat Burell (6th round)
OF- Shawn Green (15th round)
OF- Milton Bradley (18th round)
OF- Kevin Mench (20th round)
Util- Mike Sweeney (17th round)
1B/3B- Chad Tracy (12th round)
2B/SS- Ron Belliard (21st round)
BN- Nick Johnson (23rd round)
BN- Garret Atkins (24th round)
BN- A.J. Pierzynski (25th round)

P- Rich Harden (4th round)
P- Jason Schmidt (7th round)
P- Mark Beuhrle (8th round)
P- Brett Myers (9th round)
P- Francisco Cordero (10th round)
P- Eddie Guardado (13th round)
P- Noah Lowry (14th round)
P- Matt Cain (19th round)
P- Francisco Liriano (22nd round)

I am under the impression that while I didn't do great I definitely got off to a good start in a keeper league...I drafted some young prmoising pitchers so I can track their progress and I know I don't have too many closers but I will hopefully trade for some. Also, in the 6th round I accidentally drafted Burrell instead of Roy Halladay because my hand slipped on the mouse. In any case, please let me know what you guys think and I will return the favor.
zimbaloo
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:56 am

Pretty strong draft overall, though I'm not used to 10 teamers and realize you have more stars than I'm used to.

You have a very strong IF overall, though I'm going to wonder about your team's offensive power. Figgins takes away from HRs at a big HR position, and the combo of Green/Bradley/Sweeney won't provide too much pop. Mench and Tracy are solid, but not sure how high up you'll finish in the offensive stats.

Obvious what you did with those middle round picks, you went pitching! Not really much bad to say about your pitching, probably need one more RP, but you say that. You might have overdone on pitching, as one of those middle round pitchers could have been traded in for a pretty strong bat.

Solid team overall
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby wild1cat13 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:06 pm

You did a fairly good job! I agree that your power may be a little suspect, but you look like you tried to address that in the later rounds. You have several injury prone guys that I never like to deal with (Sweeney, N.Johnson, M.Bradley, Delgado, Harden) and you will need to address your lack of closers if saves are a big category.

Just for thought, but I may look to move Cain or Liriano, who are sometimes overvalued in a keeper league, for immediate help. I know those two are top prospects, but top pitchers usually don't reach their prime until their third year or even beyong and in a 3 year keeper league, a solid bat as a keeper can go a long way! The potential of a top prospect MAY NEVER get reached!
wild1cat13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby play4awin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:06 pm

Overall good job on the team. Like RAmst said you could use another power bat to help out because you have a strong infield (other than Ellis IMO) but not a lot of pop. Tracy and Mench were good picks at those rounds I think Mench will have a good year and mayprovide some of that pop you need. Your pitching is solid but I am just not high on Liriano or Cain. I know it is a three year keeper but you may be able to trade one of those two away in a package to get a middle tier SP and a bat. All in all good job though.
play4awin
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tuff_gong » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:33 pm

Not to completely echo what everyone else said. But I think you could use another power bat. Your pitching is solid, and I would look to move Cain and Liriano, because since it is only a 3 year league, you may never see their prime years while you are in this league. See if you can find someone who over values top prospects, and package them with a bat for a better bat. ;-D

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... 87#1394787

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zimbaloo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:37 pm

tuff_gong wrote:Not to completely echo what everyone else said. But I think you could use another power bat. Your pitching is solid, and I would look to move Cain and Liriano, because since it is only a 3 year league, you may never see their prime years while you are in this league. See if you can find someone who over values top prospects, and package them with a bat for a better bat. ;-D

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... 87#1394787

well as i said myself...i know i have to get another bat...i am not a burell fan at all and would love to package him with liriano to get a nice bat...what caliober player should i look for though
zimbaloo
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zechs » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:13 pm

zimbaloo wrote:well as i said myself...i know i have to get another bat...i am not a burell fan at all and would love to package him with liriano to get a nice bat...what caliober player should i look for though

If you're gonna give up Liriano, you should probably aim high on a stud hitter (at least top-25) since he's supposedly the next Johan Santana
14tm.,H2H,8x8:
C-BMolina 1B-Votto 2B-Utley 3B-Youk SS-Furcal LF-JDamon CF-BJUpton
RF-ARios UT-DLee BN-Scutaro,CBlake,Schumaker DL-JReyes
SP-SBaker RP-ABailey P-Saito,Hawkins,JJohnson,Dempster,Danks,JShields,Garza
BN-Correia,JDuch,Rowland-Smith,JGarcia
zechs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Eagle Baseball » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:45 pm

I think your lineup will look better if you would put Atkins at 3B and move Figgins to 2B and trade/dump Ellis. That will give you more power. I would think that a better way to descripe your young pitchers would be "hey they're young but they were the best available" because in a 10 team league with only 5 keepers most would recommend just keeping hitters and for sure not to keep a young unproven pitcher.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jeebas8280 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:26 pm

Good lineup, Cain and Liriano will pay off big time next year.

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=174325
jeebas8280
College Coach
College Coach

Postby zimbaloo » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:15 pm

zimbaloo
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team