Prior - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prior

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:53 am

Is anyone else concerned about him? Why are the Cubs holding him back if he isn't injured? I was contemplating on picking him in the 3rd round of our keeper league.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:12 am

I have had my suspicions on this guy for a couple of years. Ever since the mystrey leg injury and the roids allegation. He also seems to find ways to disappoint even when healthy. Last year was no exception with his 3.7-3.8 ERA.

I don't know what to make of the guy and simply do not trust him. He could be very good or he could just be an injury prone, Kerry Wood wanna be. I would not take him in round 3. Let someone else deal with him and asssume the risk and grab another elite player that is a safer bet.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 9531
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 am

mid-3rd round is fine in a keeper. 4th for a non-keeper.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 am

Have to agree. You would have to pay too much for someone with his injury issues.
Image
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1649
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: First place baby

Postby mtarail » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:14 pm

I know Prior has upside. I saw how great he was a few years back. But these injury problems have been nearly constant over the past 2 years. There's NO WAY I'd take Prior in the 3rd in a keeper or in the 4th in a non-keeper.

And, please, please tell me that that you're not planning on drafting him before Zambrano in either type of league...
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Postby RugbyD » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 am

mtarail wrote:I know Prior has upside. I saw how great he was a few years back. But these injury problems have been nearly constant over the past 2 years. There's NO WAY I'd take Prior in the 3rd in a keeper or in the 4th in a non-keeper.

And, please, please tell me that that you're not planning on drafting him before Zambrano in either type of league...

prior's raw numbers make him the better pitcher, bhut the injury issue puts him one spot below zambrano.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby mtarail » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:58 am

RugbyD wrote:
mtarail wrote:I know Prior has upside. I saw how great he was a few years back. But these injury problems have been nearly constant over the past 2 years. There's NO WAY I'd take Prior in the 3rd in a keeper or in the 4th in a non-keeper.

And, please, please tell me that that you're not planning on drafting him before Zambrano in either type of league...

prior's raw numbers make him the better pitcher, bhut the injury issue puts him one spot below zambrano.


Just my opinion, but Prior's injury history combined with Zambrano's steadily improving #'s over the last three years and good health place Zambrano significantly above Prior.

Oh yeah, and the Cubs are "monitoring Prior's arm strength" so he's currently being held out of spring training games. :-o

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... ball-print
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Postby mtarail » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:58 am

RugbyD wrote:
mtarail wrote:I know Prior has upside. I saw how great he was a few years back. But these injury problems have been nearly constant over the past 2 years. There's NO WAY I'd take Prior in the 3rd in a keeper or in the 4th in a non-keeper.

And, please, please tell me that that you're not planning on drafting him before Zambrano in either type of league...

prior's raw numbers make him the better pitcher, bhut the injury issue puts him one spot below zambrano.


Just my opinion, but Prior's injury history combined with Zambrano's steadily improving #'s over the last three years and good health place Zambrano significantly above Prior.

Oh yeah, and the Cubs are "monitoring Prior's arm strength" so he's currently being held out of spring training games. :-o

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... ball-print
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:06 am

I have CZam in a couple of leagues but am a bit concerned that losing 20 lbs may throw him off somehow. I agree that taking him ahead of Prior is a smart play though. He has been very consistent and, if the beer belly was NOT a magic ingredient to his pitches, should do as well.

I guess though that it's kind of a consistency vs. upside thing. Prior has more upside while Zambrano's more likely to do about what he usually does? :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 4170
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Champaign, IL

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:09 am

AcidRock23 wrote:I have CZam in a couple of leagues but am a bit concerned that losing 20 lbs may throw him off somehow. I agree that taking him ahead of Prior is a smart play though. He has been very consistent and, if the beer belly was NOT a magic ingredient to his pitches, should do as well.

I guess though that it's kind of a consistency vs. upside thing. Prior has more upside while Zambrano's more likely to do about what he usually does? :-?


I wasn't concerned about Prior until ST wore on, now I get nervous and hide under my blankey when his name is mentioned.

CZam scares me some too, as his back bothers him and he's thrown tons of innings the last several years. I'm avoiding both this year (unless either falls considerably in a draft, but neither have yet.)
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1986
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting on the steps of Busch Stadium

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Jul. 28
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

San Diego at Atlanta
(12:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact