Slight upgrade for Beltre at 3rd? Where do you rank him? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Slight upgrade for Beltre at 3rd? Where do you rank him?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:31 pm

brandnew wrote:Chipper's starting to look like an underrated guy to me after seeing a few lists...


shhhhhhhhhhh... :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Postby nuggets » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:10 pm

brandnew wrote:Chipper's starting to look like an underrated guy to me after seeing a few lists...


Untill he goes out and pulls something.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:16 pm

WittyC wrote:
nuggets wrote:
WittyC wrote:No reason to put Figgins on this list with his 2B eligibility. You would have to have a rock in your skull to pencil him in as your 3B. !+)


There are viable situations where Figgins makes for a good 3B. He did provide more value than any 3B not named ARod. 6 second base eligible players provided more value than Chavez, 8 more than Chipper, 9 more than Blalock. I guess I have a rock in my head. What do you have, rocks for eyes? :-b


Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of fantasy baseball. Today's lesson: position scarcity.

Third base traditionally offers better offensive numbers than second base when comparing fantasy players (approximately +100 HR, +200 RBI and -100 SB when comparing top 12 3B and 2B from 2005). Therefore, because most leagues require you to start a 2B, a player with less absolute value at 2B will have more relative value than a player with equal stats at 3B. This phenomenon is known as position scarcity. It's a concept you should attempt to master if you plan to play fantasy baseball this year! ;-D

Position scarcity makes our friend Chone Figgins more valuable as a second baseman than as a third baseman. Drafting him to play third base would, therefore, make him lose some of that precious value he has as a second baseman.

I hope this information was helpful to you! :*)


Yes I know you think you are better than me. ;-D


No I didn't exclude positional scarcity. I said there are some viable situation to have Chone as your 3B. Last year was one of them. Due to positional scarcity, you could of have the #2 3B (Figgins, better than all 3B not named ARod) and the #2 2B (Soriano, who was better than all 3B not named ARod as well) and made 2B ever more scarce for your opponents. So in hindsight, actually the best strategy going in to drafts last year was to take Figgins and Soriano as your 3B and 2B.

ooohhh so whitty !+)
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:23 pm

I think Beltre will bounce back and is a proven pick over some questionable youngsters like Atkins and aging vets like Chipper.

At 3B, I actually have Beltre ranked 14th, but I would be inclined to take him over some other guys on my list ahead of him.

Alex Rodriguez
David Wright
Miguel Cabrera
Chone Figgins
Aramis Ramirez
Scott Rolen
Eric Chavez
Morgan Ensberg
Hank Blalock
Melvin Mora
Jorge Cantu
Chad Tracey
Troy Glaus
Adrian Beltre
Chipper Jones

I'm happy with that list, but considering my needs and his known potential, I could possibly be inclined to grab Beltre ahead of Glaus. The rest of my guys there I'm pretty solid with; and I would not take a flier on Chipper if I could help it. I also have Rolen ranked pretty high, which is risky I know, but I think he's more of a risk to get hurt than actually have decreased production. I feel like that risk is sometimes worth it, given his potential and how shallow 3B is this year (relatively speaking). I'd be perfectly happy taking a risk on Rolen in a middle round and have Inge as my backup, rather than throw all my beans in cup of Chipper Jones or even Melvin Mora.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:45 pm

nuggets wrote:
WittyC wrote:
nuggets wrote:
WittyC wrote:No reason to put Figgins on this list with his 2B eligibility. You would have to have a rock in your skull to pencil him in as your 3B. !+)


There are viable situations where Figgins makes for a good 3B. He did provide more value than any 3B not named ARod. 6 second base eligible players provided more value than Chavez, 8 more than Chipper, 9 more than Blalock. I guess I have a rock in my head. What do you have, rocks for eyes? :-b


Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of fantasy baseball. Today's lesson: position scarcity.

Third base traditionally offers better offensive numbers than second base when comparing fantasy players (approximately +100 HR, +200 RBI and -100 SB when comparing top 12 3B and 2B from 2005). Therefore, because most leagues require you to start a 2B, a player with less absolute value at 2B will have more relative value than a player with equal stats at 3B. This phenomenon is known as position scarcity. It's a concept you should attempt to master if you plan to play fantasy baseball this year! ;-D

Position scarcity makes our friend Chone Figgins more valuable as a second baseman than as a third baseman. Drafting him to play third base would, therefore, make him lose some of that precious value he has as a second baseman.

I hope this information was helpful to you! :*)


Yes I know you think you are better than me. ;-D


No I didn't exclude positional scarcity. I said there are some viable situation to have Chone as your 3B. Last year was one of them. Due to positional scarcity, you could of have the #2 3B (Figgins, better than all 3B not named ARod) and the #2 2B (Soriano, who was better than all 3B not named ARod as well) and made 2B ever more scarce for your opponents. So in hindsight, actually the best strategy going in to drafts last year was to take Figgins and Soriano as your 3B and 2B.

ooohhh so whitty !+)


ahh...you beat me to it. i was gonna say, if you have a 2B with some power but not as much speed (Utley...ok he has speed, Kent, Cantu), would you not want a guy like Figgins in your OF or 3B?

i really dont care where i guy plays, i just want a team that gives me enough in every category to win my league
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:45 pm

nuggets wrote:
WittyC wrote:
nuggets wrote:
WittyC wrote:No reason to put Figgins on this list with his 2B eligibility. You would have to have a rock in your skull to pencil him in as your 3B. !+)


There are viable situations where Figgins makes for a good 3B. He did provide more value than any 3B not named ARod. 6 second base eligible players provided more value than Chavez, 8 more than Chipper, 9 more than Blalock. I guess I have a rock in my head. What do you have, rocks for eyes? :-b


Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of fantasy baseball. Today's lesson: position scarcity.

Third base traditionally offers better offensive numbers than second base when comparing fantasy players (approximately +100 HR, +200 RBI and -100 SB when comparing top 12 3B and 2B from 2005). Therefore, because most leagues require you to start a 2B, a player with less absolute value at 2B will have more relative value than a player with equal stats at 3B. This phenomenon is known as position scarcity. It's a concept you should attempt to master if you plan to play fantasy baseball this year! ;-D

Position scarcity makes our friend Chone Figgins more valuable as a second baseman than as a third baseman. Drafting him to play third base would, therefore, make him lose some of that precious value he has as a second baseman.

I hope this information was helpful to you! :*)


Yes I know you think you are better than me. ;-D


No I didn't exclude positional scarcity. I said there are some viable situation to have Chone as your 3B. Last year was one of them. Due to positional scarcity, you could of have the #2 3B (Figgins, better than all 3B not named ARod) and the #2 2B (Soriano, who was better than all 3B not named ARod as well) and made 2B ever more scarce for your opponents. So in hindsight, actually the best strategy going in to drafts last year was to take Figgins and Soriano as your 3B and 2B.

ooohhh so whitty !+)


Okay... first off... it was a joke, don't go get all sensitive on me. If you tell me I have rocks for eyes or whatever, I'm going to make a smart-ass response. I'm sorry if I offended you or made you feel like I was better than you, which I probably am. ;-7

Second, the statement that I made was that it would not be smart to draft him as your starting third baseman this year. You claim that last year was a good situation to take Figgins as a 3B if and only if you took Soriano as your starting 2B. I could certainly see how this would have applied in '05, which was a stronger year for 2B than normal, especially at the top, and was a year when you could grab Figgins in the eighth round or later.

This year it will likely cost you a second-round pick to grab Figgins. If you like his value here as a third baseman relative to guys like M-Cab, Wright and Aramis AND you already grabbed Utley or Soriano in the first round, then I will concede that he is a worthwhile pick.

So while I respect the fact that you found this rare "loophole" to my logic, where someone would rank Utley or Soriano high enough to spend a first-round pick on them, then absolutely value Figgins as highly as M-Cab, Wright and Aramis, then it might make sense to rank him among third baseman.

Perhaps rock in the skull was too strong of a comment, and to anyone who would feel comfortable drafting Figgins as a third baseman, as per the scenario laid out, I apologize. Anyone else would be better off leaving him off their 3B rankings.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1096
Joined: 3 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Dillon, CO

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:52 pm

nuggets wrote:
brandnew wrote:Chipper's starting to look like an underrated guy to me after seeing a few lists...


Untill he goes out and pulls something.

Like a Brett Myers slider? }:-)

ZING!
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4351
Joined: 16 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at Morimoto's, eating $50 worth of sushi

Postby mtarail » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:05 pm

I've got Chipper, Blalock, Ensberg and Rolen ranked well above Beltre.

I've got Tracy, Beltre, and Mora ranked pretty near each other.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2433
Joined: 27 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on the 3B line stands at TEP

Postby KoopaTroopa211 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:14 pm

Cantu doesn't get enough credit. I'd rank him just below Chipper, and just above Chavez.

As for Beltre, we won't see a repeat of last year's nosedive, but I don't think he'll be able to match the stats of 2004.
Image
KoopaTroopa211
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3324
Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby curious_george_43545 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:29 pm

nuggets wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:Arod
Cabrera
Wright
Ramirez
Chavez
Blalock
Rolen
Huff
Figgins
Beltre
Jones
Cantu
Ensberg
Atkins

so 10th


Figgins behind Rolen, Blalock and Huff? Your leagues don't count SB?


Actually meant to put him in front of Rolen. !+) , Still not a very big Figgins fan like many others.
Image
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5200
Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ayebatter, twistedude, unioreimi and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Jul. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

St. Louis at Chi Cubs
(4:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Arizona at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Oakland at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact