Bonds and Steroids - WOW - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds and Steroids - WOW

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Another Blown Save » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Pfft, another Bonds thread ;-7
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:02 pm

mikhayl wrote:
DK wrote:I was under the impression that GJT is sealed until the judge publicly allows it to be seen (if at all). Can you verify this?

Here's a recent case I found on the subject: Link

According to that, testimony that does not reveal witness or jury names can be released under the Freedom of Information Act.

Any lawyers on here?

Mook's a lawyer but I don't know his specialization.

Mook?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Madison » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:10 pm

This is an interesting twist. An entire book, with details? Curious to hear what Barry has to say about that. I even checked his website at this moment and there's not a word about it. Surely though, if this book does in fact get published, Barry will have to sick his attorneys on them. I can't see any sports figure just sitting back and letting something like this happen without saying or doing anything. Very curious to see how this all shakes out. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby converge241 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:20 pm

"Note: It has been my stance forever that Bonds has not been proven of taking steroids. I have never said, "Bonds never used steroids", because I haven't been around him his entire life.

When I see some actual, concrete proof, I'll then say he used steroids. Until then, I see no facts to prove that."

didnt he admit under testimony that he used them?

of course he "didnt know" but he still used them by the admission correct?
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:20 pm

I'm surprised at all the people who are passing this off as just another attempt to make money. Did you follow the link to CNNSI? Did you read the associated material with this story? They did their research before publishing this book. How can you continue to be an apologist for Bonds after this?

I used to be a HUGE Sammy Sosa fan (see my Cubs sig below), and I turned a blind eye to the unusual growth he experienced from his early career up to his home-run dominance in the late 90s. Unfortunately I was forced to wake up from my little dream when circumstances showed me that Sosa was a cheater, too - corked bat, bizarre testimony in front of congress, until his final fall from grace in Chicago and his failure to be able to remain in baseball after MLB tightened its testing policies.

Sometimes you've just got to give up and see reality. I did with Sammy.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stumpak » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:21 pm

I don't think Barry's attorneys will be able to do much. Publishing houses are not run by stupid people, and you can rest assured that significant legal counsel weighed in the manuscript of this book to ascertain libel liability. This would not have been published if the Bonds camp had a leg to stand on from a legal perspective.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:40 pm

Some document entries reflect payments for drugs for Bonds: $1,500 for two boxes of growth hormone; $450 for a bottle of Depotestosterone; $100 for 100 Clomiphene pills; $200 for the Cream and the Clear. Other entries reflect Bonds's drug cycle: For February 2002, a calendar showed alternating days of the Cream, the Clear and growth hormone followed by "Clow," or Clomid.

A document labeled "BLB 2003" listed cities where the Giants played away games in 2003, with notations for the use of growth hormone, the Clear, the Cream and insulin on specific days. Other documents associated with Bonds referred to the use of trenbolone and "beans," the Mexican steroid. At Anderson's apartment, and in a search of BALCO's trash, the agents also found evidence of Bonds's blood being sent to drug labs for steroid testing.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:54 pm

Can't we just have an 'Official Barry Bonds Steroid Yay or Nay Thread' instead of a half dozen at a time in Leftovers? There's barely enough room for all the Soriano, M-Cab, Liriano, and Hermida threads. ;-7

And in a few weeks, we're going to need room for all the Yanks vs. Sawks threads, too. Just trying to be proactive here. ;-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:55 pm

Steroids does not help you make contact or hit the ball further. There is no scientific proof.

That being said, Bonds probably used steroids knowingly or unknowingly it doesn't matter. But he did it during the time where players were not being tested. There are other players who used steroids or other ways to help them improve their game. Where do you draw the line?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:07 pm

DK wrote:
a book written by two San Francisco Chronicle reporters at the forefront of reporting on the BALCO steroid distribution scandal.

Yawn... When I see something with any sort of validity maybe I'll listen. This is just a couple of tabloid writers trying to sell books.

word
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers