Bonds and Steroids - WOW - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds and Steroids - WOW

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kentx12 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:32 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
kentx12 wrote:I find this hillarious. Everyone of the Bonds supporters say the chronicle this the chronicle that. Now they do a book about him. Surely if this hero of yours was as inocent as you all proclaim he would come out and say something about this wouldnt he? A law suit of some sort? No he wont say a word. He knows there isnt a thing he can do about people reporting the truth.
Kent makes a great point. Why isn't Bonds suing? If these allegations are untrue it is a pretty clear case of libel.



As DK pointed out the article has only been out a few hrs. but if someone is writeing a book about a man im sure he knew of it. Couldnt he have allready been working on getting it stopped if it is full of lies or even some false information?
Image

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17435
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 8 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lost

Postby mikhayl » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:32 pm

kentx12 wrote: Speaking of which, reporting Grand Jury Testimony is a crime, but there was no investigation about what the Chronicle reported... Maybe because it wasn't actually the tesimony?

Just a thought.


Reporting grand jury testimony of an ongoing investigation is a crime. The Balco case ended in July of 2005.
Last edited by mikhayl on Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 839
Joined: 9 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Postby DK » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
kentx12 wrote:I find this hillarious. Everyone of the Bonds supporters say the chronicle this the chronicle that. Now they do a book about him. Surely if this hero of yours was as inocent as you all proclaim he would come out and say something about this wouldnt he? A law suit of some sort? No he wont say a word. He knows there isnt a thing he can do about people reporting the truth.
Kent makes a great point. Why isn't Bonds suing? If these allegations are untrue it is a pretty clear case of libel.


Honestly IMO I don't think he cares about clearing his name. It's been dragged through the mud so many times it's not worth cleaning since 99% of America will think he's dirty even if he passes a urine test right in front of ESPN cameras.

But that's just me.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:33 pm

I've said before that I'm no Barry fan but these "authors" strike me as nothing more than paprazi trying to cash in.

Where in the world would they get this "damning" evidence? It also sounds like they are bad writers ("a cornucopia of elaborate, illegally-administered chemicals."? ouch :-o ).

As for suing - you can only sue for defammation once something is published.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19542
(Past Year: 281)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby DK » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:34 pm

mikhayl wrote:
kentx12 wrote: Speaking of which, reporting Grand Jury Testimony is a crime, but there was no investigation about what the Chronicle reported... Maybe because it wasn't actually the tesimony?

Just a thought.


Reporting grand jury testimony of an ongoing investigation is a crime. The Balco case ended in July of 2005.


I was under the impression that GJT is sealed until the judge publicly allows it to be seen (if at all). Can you verify this?
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby RugbyD » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:36 pm

there's one part to thier case that appears incredibly shaky on the surface:

The belief that the changes in Bonds's body reflect steroid use is supported by the research of Harvard psychiatrist Harrison Pope, an expert on the mental-health effects of steroid abuse. In 1995, in The Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, Pope and three colleagues published a mathematical formula for use in determining whether a person is using steroids. The "Fat-Free Mass Index," as the formula is called, predicts steroid use from a series of computations involving the subject's "lean muscle mass," which is determined from height, weight and percentage of body fat. The higher the index number, the leaner and more muscular the individual is. The average 30-year-old American male scores 20, Pope says, while the former Mr. America Steve Reeves, the most famous muscle man of the presteroid era, scored 25 in his prime. A score of more than 25 indicates steroid use.

In 1997, when Bonds reportedly weighed 206 and had 8% body fat, he scored 24.8 on the index. In 2002, when Bonds reportedly weighed 228 and had body fat of 6.2% his score was 28 -- well over the level of a "presumptive diagnosis" of steroid use.


Now, if the only 3 components to this test are height, weight, and body fat %, then this index is complete garbage. I've been 6', 215, <=8% and i was not on steroids. It would have to be a lot more complicated to carry any validity.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby RugbyD » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:42 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I've said before that I'm no Barry fan but these "authors" strike me as nothing more than paprazi trying to cash in.

Just curious as to what you base this on since it appears that their work is going to be well-documented.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:42 pm

Grand jury testimony is leaked fairly often and rarely prosecuted.

I don't like Bonds, but the statement that if this was not true he would sue us wrong. The standard for filing suit for a public figure is quite different than for you or me. There are more elements that have to be proved. You have to not only prove the allegations are false but that they are malicious in nature. Not only that, but you have to go through discovery, in which your entire life becomes an open book and you cannot refuse to answer questions that are even tangentially related to the issue, and you are under oath during these depositions. No celebrity wishes to go through those. It is absurd to suggest that because Bonds does not file suit that the allegations must be true.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 892
Joined: 8 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:47 pm

SouthBronxBombers wrote:Grand jury testimony is leaked fairly often and rarely prosecuted.

I don't like Bonds, but the statement that if this was not true he would sue us wrong. The standard for filing suit for a public figure is quite different than for you or me. There are more elements that have to be proved. You have to not only prove the allegations are false but that they are malicious in nature. Not only that, but you have to go through discovery, in which your entire life becomes an open book and you cannot refuse to answer questions that are even tangentially related to the issue, and you are under oath during these depositions. No celebrity wishes to go through those. It is absurd to suggest that because Bonds does not file suit that the allegations must be true.


Hence the whole reason he does not want to sue. He would have to answer questions about his steroid use and his affairs...
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby mikhayl » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:50 pm

DK wrote:I was under the impression that GJT is sealed until the judge publicly allows it to be seen (if at all). Can you verify this?


Here's a recent case I found on the subject: Link

According to that, testimony that does not reveal witness or jury names can be released under the Freedom of Information Act.

Any lawyers on here?
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 839
Joined: 9 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Brooklyn, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ayebatter and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 31
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(3:40 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact