Strategy advice for a funky(?) 7x7 roto league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy advice for a funky(?) 7x7 roto league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy advice for a funky(?) 7x7 roto league?

Postby number9 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:47 am

I'm drafting for a weird scoring system Yahoo roto league this year where my friend is a rookie commish. I've played some fantasy hockey, and some fantasy baseball on pens and papers more than a decade ago, so basically I'm a newbie to this game.

I've read many threads and posts (obviously not enough), but my situation seems somewhat unique, and whacked, so I thought I'd ask for some advice here. The categories in the 7x7 roto league are:

R, HR, RBI, SB, K, AVG, OPS
W, SV, K, HLD, TB, ERA, WHIP

Lesser is better for hitter Ks and pitcher TBs, obviously.

Now, with the hitters, the power guys will contribute to all but SB and Ks, so 5 of 7 sounds good (just make sure to grab guys who can steal some, and maybe one SB type guy). But many big hitters strike out a lot, so it looks like I'll have to ditch Ks (will also need to maximize games played to get as many of the positive counting categories.)

The pitchers are more troublesome because starters would be good for W, K, ERA, WHIP, just 4 out of 7 categories. And overloading on relievers would be good for SV, HLD, TB, ERA, and WHIP. It looks like I should overload on relievers, and just try to stay competitive on W with one or two stud starters. But I could sacrifice W in favour of TB? Not sure how to strategize the pitchers going into this draft.

Less important info, roster is 24 players (below) and there's 10 teams, unlimited free agent signings and waiver action.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util,
SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P,
BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Thanks in advance for any advice, cheers.
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers