First FB Draft Ever ... Feedback Welcome - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

First FB Draft Ever ... Feedback Welcome

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

First FB Draft Ever ... Feedback Welcome

Postby schmidty » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:35 pm

Hi all! First post here and first time playing fantasy baseball (though a long time BB fan). I'm in a 10-team Yahoo H2H league. Categories are: R, HR, AVG, RBI, SB, OPS, W, K, SV, ERA, and WHIP (6x5). Standard Yahoo settings: unlimited roster moves, 162 max for each position, 7 inning/wk min for each starting staff, 1250 inn limit for the season. We did a live draft and this is what I ended up with:

C -- M. Barrett
1B -- J. Thome
2B -- C. Utley
3B -- ARod
SS -- R. Furcal
OF -- G. Sheffield
OF -- J. Damon
OF -- P. Burrell
Uti -- T. Hafner
BN -- J. Vidro (2B)
BN -- L. Overbay (1B)
BN -- B. Crosby (SS)
BN -- JD Drew (OF)

SP -- B. Myers
SP -- R. Clemens
RP -- B. Wagner
RP -- E. Gagne
P -- D. Haren (SP)
P -- L. Hernandez (SP)
P -- M. MacDougal (RP)
BN -- J. Lieber (SP)
BN -- B. Radke (SP)

At least to my eyes, my biggest problem is starting pitching. It's just many of the other teams seemed to be overdrafting the top-notch guys in the 1st and 2nd rounds, while there were still position players on the board I couldn't resist. I like my offense (though Thome is a bit of a risk -- I got him really low) and my relievers. Having 2 Phillies and a guy who may retire is a bit worrisome. So my choices could be: 1) start the season and see how things go, 2) dump one of my position BN guys and pick up another pitcher in the FA pool, 3) try to work a trade with someone in need of offense (and there are a number of those in this league). Some of the SP's still available include: E Loaza, D Lowe, J Suppan, B Chen, J Towers, M Morris, P Byrd, J Sosa, K Rogers, D Wells.

I don't know ... what do you think? Thanks!
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby masarume » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:57 pm

Don't want to rip your team apart, but it isn't that good.

THome isn't really your problem.

You prolly drafted Utley too early. Sheffield's numbers can only go down and Furcal has a horrible average at Dodger's Stadium. Hafner's healthy is going to be an isssue. Damon's numbers are surely overrated IMO.

Your starting pitcher is Myers which isn't that bad, but your 2nd one is Clemens, and your third is solid, but overall your rotation is weak. Your closers are decent, but I would recommend you find another closer and drop one of your 4 benched offensive players. I do like MacDougal though.

Overall, your offense is a 6.5/10 and your pitching is a 4/10.

Don't let me trash you though. I could be horribly wrong and you might have a great season. We only learn through experience ;-D
masarume

Hockey Mod
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby schmidty » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:22 am

Ouch !+) :,-(

Nah, that's ok :-) Like I said, I never did a fantasy draft before, so I'm not insulted if people say I suck. It's just a "for fun" league with some friends. I didn't do anywhere near the research I'm sure others here do ... just tried to read some general tips, look at suggested rankings, and try not to pick guys higher than their ranking while filling roster spots on my team. I'm sure the season will be a learning experience -- there are other newbies in my league (a couple of whom had Yahoo do all their picks, and one guy who picked Christian Guzman because I dared him too) along with some more experienced players. It sounds like a fun thing to get into, and lurking the people on here seemed informed and friendly.

BTW, this was my draft order (position picked in parentheses):

ARod (1), Sheffield (20), Utley (21), Furcal (40), Hafner (41), Wagner (60), Damon (61), Myers (80), Burrell (81), Clemens (100), Gagne (101), Thome (120), Haren (121), Hernandez (140), Lieber (141), Barrett (160), Overbay (161), Crosby (180), Drew (181), MacDougal (200), Radke (201), Vidro (220)

One of the things with being first in a serpentine draft is the long gaps between picks. #21 didn't seem too bad for Utley -- the others didn't seem too far off general rankings. Of course, everybody has their differences.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop Vidro -- he looks pretty useless on my team. You're saying I need a reliever and not a starter? There aren't really any "saves" guys left -- though some decent middle relievers are still on the board.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:25 am

You need a little luck, but I think you did a fine job drafting. Utley wasn't that big a stretch given that you had A Rod and Sheff. Lots of power production there, which is what you'd look for in the first three picks. Could have even went with Utley and Peavy. You really need to hope that Clemens decides to play and can cheat time one more year. Gagne comes back to his old self, and that Leiber finds a little more power in his repaired arm. If those things happen you could take it all.
Don't worry too much about Furcal and his can't hit in LA label, you covered yourself well with Crosby. Plus I think Furcal will be okay in LA.

Good luck, gov'ner, or what ever you blokes say across the pond :-b
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Halo Homers » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:56 am

That's not a bad draft at all, especially first time out.

Your bench of hitters are weak. I don't like Vidro or Overbay at all. You could probably go to the wavier wire and get options with more upside in a 10 teamer.

Here are some guys I like better at 2B who might be on the wavier wire in a 10 teamer (Todd Walker, Ronnie Belllard, Ryan Freel, Mark Loretta, Louis A. Gonzalez, Craig Biggio)

At 1b Prince Fielder, Jay Gibbons, Justin Morneau, Casey Kotchman better choice than Overbay

Your pitching staff is interesting. If Clemens plays, and if certain guys like Hernandez, Haren, and Lieber play well, this could be a competitive staff. I would see how things play out the first coulpe of weeks, before making major changes. You might just consider dropping Radke in favor of Morris or Byd outright.

If you want to trade for a SP, I would trade Thome if possible, but if not him trade Sheffield for a top flight SP. You;ve got plenty of HR power.

The cafe is the right place for advice. Hope to see more of your posts.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby zechs » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:18 am

you should try to improve your bench players via WW and then if you struck gold with any of them, you might want to trade your bench player(s) and/or starter(s) to improve your pitching staff
14tm.,H2H,8x8:
C-BMolina 1B-Votto 2B-Utley 3B-Youk SS-Furcal LF-JDamon CF-BJUpton
RF-ARios UT-DLee BN-Scutaro,CBlake,Schumaker DL-JReyes
SP-SBaker RP-ABailey P-Saito,Hawkins,JJohnson,Dempster,Danks,JShields,Garza
BN-Correia,JDuch,Rowland-Smith,JGarcia
zechs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blackmarketbaby » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:39 pm

It's better than what people are saying. I'd say acquiring a #1 SP and a #1 closer is what you'll need to compete. A-Rod, Shef, Utley, Furcal, and Hafner is a good first five round bounty, but it'd be better if you backed 'em up with pitching, even if it meant overpaying. Rogers is my favorite out of that WW list, but he doesn't strike a lot of guys out.
blackmarketbaby
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jeebas8280 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:57 pm

dont worry abput Hafner, he'll be fine and he is going to be 1B elible by May. V-mart is gonna DH once a week at least. The pitching could be a problem.

http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/v ... p?t=174325
jeebas8280
College Coach
College Coach

Postby schmidty » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:11 pm

Thanks guys, this feedback has been very helpful. In retrospect I should've went for quality SPs earlier (like with those 60/61 picks I had). But live and learn ... and it might still work out.

I agree about not liking Vidro and Overbay on my bench. I'd like a 1B on the bench until at least Hafner gets 1B eligibility. Wilkerson is available on waivers. Think a good move might be to drop Overbay for Wilkerson (who also has OF eligibility)? J Gibbons and C Kotchman are also available. And do you think its ok to drop the Vidro bench spot and use that for more pitching instead (at least until I know Clemens status)? That would leave 2B without a back-up. Otherwise, 2B on waivers include T. Walker, R Durham, and the ever-versatile Luis A Gonzalez.

Looking at pitching, I'm getting the vibe that dropping Radke might be a good move. In addition to the WW SPs I listed earlier, I also have available Mulder, Penny, E Santana, D Cabrera, Bedard, K Escobar, Glavine, Chacin, Washburn, and Chacon. Maybe some of these guys rank ahead of Lieber too.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby olympia0731 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Firstly, welcome aboard to the addiction that we call fantasy baseball!!!!

about your team:

It was a very good draft considering it was your first draft. BUT this season for you realy comes down to A: If Roger Clemens plays, and B: whether or not you find a stud pitcher off the wire.

A few guys that I would consider dropping leiber, and Radke for ( some of these guys may not be on the wire but considering this is a ten teamer........)

1: Matt Cain

2: Fransico Liriano

3: Jon Papelbon

4: Daniel Caberea

5: Chris Young.

Also your hitting is excellent, but you are a little weak at 1b.

Maybe consider dropping Overbay for the following players

1: Chris Shelton
2: Brad Wilkerson
3: Dan Johnson

I know WIlkerson was probably drafted but just in case.

Overall this is squad is very good if you fix you pitching, or very average if you don't. Hope this helps!!!!
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team