What is the best age for your team to be? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is the best age for your team to be?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is the best age for your team to be?

Postby KrazyA428 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:18 pm

I am talking about average age of a Fantasy Baseball team. Right now the average age of mine is 27.9.

What do you think the prime age for a team to be is? Should i make my team older, younger, or am i just right?
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hooligan1 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:26 pm

I think that's pretty good. There are an awful lot of good ball players that fall into that general age range. Too many young guys, you are going to have a problem with consistency. Too many older guys, you may have issues with nagging injuries, fading talent and just being worn out.......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby Webster11 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:45 pm

Porbably anywhere from 27-30 is ideal although I dont think it will matter all that much.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:49 pm

Ideally I'd take an average around 29 - when it's most likely that all your players are in their prime, yet a at least a few years away from fading.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KrazyA428 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:04 am

what is the actual proven age when players are in their prime?

(usually)
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Ender » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:12 am

You want proven guys with your early picks and high upside guys with your late picks. Doesn't really matter what their age is.

Hitters usually hit their prime at age 27 and they start to regress in the early 30's. They usually hit their power prime around age 30 though. Also some recent studies have shown that the average prime age is moving closer to 30 than the old number of 27.

Pitchers hit their prime around age 29 and they don't start to regress until around 34.

So in general you are looking for age 25-27 hitters and age 27-29 pitchers because those are the most likely to suddenly take a leap forward.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Music2004Man » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:29 am

Ender wrote:You want proven guys with your early picks and high upside guys with your late picks. Doesn't really matter what their age is.

Hitters usually hit their prime at age 27 and they start to regress in the early 30's. They usually hit their power prime around age 30 though. Also some recent studies have shown that the average prime age is moving closer to 30 than the old number of 27.

Pitchers hit their prime around age 29 and they don't start to regress until around 34.

So in general you are looking for age 25-27 hitters and age 27-29 pitchers because those are the most likely to suddenly take a leap forward.

I like this explanation the best so far. What this normally means is that your first 15 rounds will probably be slightly older than your next 10. Look for your top 10 round to be experienced with the avg running anywhere from 28-34. With the last ten rounds you are trying to handicap potential breakouts so your average age should probably be 26-30 or so.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:43 am

I could care less what age my team is (although I have Wright, Bay, etc. b/c I like them b/c of their ages...). If RJ is out there in the 5th or 6th round and I'm wanting an SP, I'm going to at least think about grabbing him. Even if is ERA gets up there, he'll still win a bunch o' games. I'm not going to say 'I've already above my average age, I'd better pick Felix Hernandez to get back on track...'.

That being said, I briefly considered calculating the average age for some leagues to give myself something to do until opening day...hee hee... ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers