John-Ford Griffin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

John-Ford Griffin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John-Ford Griffin

Postby mweir145 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:58 pm

What should the Jays do with this guy?

It's becoming readily apparent that he's good enough to be in the majors this year (he's had good stats at all of the minor league levels, and has performed well in limited time at the major league level during both the regular season and ST), but there is no spot for him on this team. Should the Jays make room for him by trading somebody like Hinske, or should they just keep him in AAA for the season?

In 2007, I see him as a full-time DH taking over from Hillenbrand, that is of course, if he still remains with the team.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:26 pm

He's going to be 27 this year so he's no youngster and he only got to AAA last year. He's never been a very good hitter with a lousy so/bb ratio and only hitting .254 at AAA. It's not like he has overwhelming power or anything, it's just ok. He would be lucky to hit 20 HR in full time duty.

I don't think that there is much hope for him being a full time major leaguer. I hope that I'm wrong but he is more like a less promising Gabe Gross.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:56 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:He's going to be 27 this year so he's no youngster and he only got to AAA last year. He's never been a very good hitter with a lousy so/bb ratio and only hitting .254 at AAA. It's not like he has overwhelming power or anything, it's just ok. He would be lucky to hit 20 HR in full time duty.

I don't think that there is much hope for him being a full time major leaguer. I hope that I'm wrong but he is more like a less promising Gabe Gross.

I disagree, he's hit for over an .800 OPS at every level he's been at so far, and from what I've seen from him, he looks like a very good hitter. He also led the IL in HR last season. I see him as a more-promising Gabe Gross, who would do fine in the DH job if given the chance. Barker or Lind might be more suited to take that role though. We'll see what happens.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:07 pm

He's an article that was written today on Griffin by Geoff Baker, he seems to think Griffin will be a regular by 2007. According to the article, J.P. has no plans to trade him either.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 48&call_pa
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Return to Toronto Blue Jays