league commissioners, please advise! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

league commissioners, please advise!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

league commissioners, please advise!

Postby Eightan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:58 pm

I'm the commissioner of my league and of course, there is controversy even before the draft has begun. I've currently scheduled our draft for sunday afternoon at 1:00 PM. One manager has work at 2:00 PM and wants to change the time to either noon or 9:00 in the evening. The evening slot is no longer available, so the only time I can change it to is noon.
The problem is, another manager is in school until 1:15. He would deal with missing the first 2 rounds or so, but he obviously doesn't want to miss the first hour. But it seems that no other manager has a problem moving the draft time, only he does. What do all you other commissioners think I should do? Any thoughts and suggestions would be most helpful...
you can't live the dream, if you don't play the game
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheRock » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:00 pm

If anyone is to be inconvenienced, it should be the only guy that wants to change it. Working at 2:00 on a Sunday instead of drafting? Where's his dedication?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Ragoczy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:06 pm

Ah yes, scheduling the draft--one of the biggest headaches for any commish.

I would say try to pick a different date. If you've scheduled your draft for this Sunday you have a lot of time between now and the start of the season. If at all possible, try not to 'pick sides'. If you're stuck with Sunday, go with the best owner in terms of who has been there longest, who has been the most active, caused the least strife, etc.
We're only immortal for a limited time
Ragoczy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

commissioner

Postby Eightan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:10 pm

Ragoczy wrote:Ah yes, scheduling the draft--one of the biggest headaches for any commish.

I would say try to pick a different date. If you've scheduled your draft for this Sunday you have a lot of time between now and the start of the season. If at all possible, try not to 'pick sides'. If you're stuck with Sunday, go with the best owner in terms of who has been there longest, who has been the most active, caused the least strife, etc.

sorry, i should have clarified. the draft is sunday mar. 19th, so it's either then or the 26th, and i'm assuming less times are available on the 26th, and even if not, the same problems will arise... 1 guy with work, the other with school...
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BGbootha » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:21 pm

I would have to say the guy who is already willing to miss the first two round due to school should get the ride of way here.

The draft time is set, and well bummer for the guy who has to work. Its one thing to change the draft time to fit everyone, but trading one for one = no change in my book.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:45 pm

check to see if there's any other days available and that work for everyone.

if not, leave it as is. if he has to work, he has to work.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:54 pm

This is why I've started getting dates/times nailed down in January! I basically leave it up to a vote... the best time possible for the most people wins. If someone can't make the draft, too bad for him.

From your tone, it sounds like you're doing it online - there's NO time (weeknight, early morning, etc.) that will work for everyone? Can you take it offline, like do a slow draft via email or something? Just some suggestions for you.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby rlee » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:36 pm

Matthias wrote:check to see if there's any other days available and that work for everyone.

I agree with Matthias. Tough break he has to work, but the draft had been scheduled to meet everyone's schedule. That's why they alllow you to pre-rank players. I would advise him to do so.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Eightan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:54 pm

rlee wrote:
Matthias wrote:check to see if there's any other days available and that work for everyone.

I agree with Matthias. Tough break he has to work, but the draft had been scheduled to meet everyone's schedule. That's why they alllow you to pre-rank players. I would advise him to do so.

yeah... this seems to be the consensus of other managers in my league. no one else really minds the change except for the guy with school, so they all say since it's set, too bad for the guy who'se gotta work.
Thanks for your input folks, just wanted to see if others are leaning the same way we are.
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:26 pm

This is one of the hardest things I have to do as a comish of my league. I try to find a day that best suits all owners "not a date" then after the day is set "ie Sunday" I will pick a random Sunday and give all owners at least 1 month notice each year. this year I set the draft the 1st day yahoo opened for the last Sunday before the season opened. this has worked pretty good for the 4 years that i have ran this league till this year and I have Mercerboy to blame for that :-D

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Baseball Leftovers