Detroit catcher question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Detroit catcher question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Detroit catcher question

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:03 am

Any chance Inge or Shelton get behind the plate this year at all?

I know they're both NOT eligible but have caught in the past.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:30 pm

i would say the chances are somewhere between 0-1%
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Re: Detroit catcher question

Postby MotorCityKitties » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:35 pm

Sp_Da_Man wrote:Any chance Inge or Shelton get behind the plate this year at all?

I know they're both NOT eligible but have caught in the past.

No chance.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:21 pm

The previous two posts sum it up. We have Pudge and Vance Wilson and it would take a situation where both of them get injured in the same game. If there is extra need for a catcher with advance warning, then they would likely call up St. Pierre or sign a free agent. Let's just say, we will be hoping Pudge plays in as many games as possible.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:29 pm

In what is proving to be retarted Tiger logic they will go with Wilson as thier back-up instead of the better C Inge. I will never understand why they don't groom Inge to the role he is suited to: Utility. He should be the back-up catcher and 3B. That would free up another roster spot for a better defensive 3B or a left-handed bat.
So, no I do not see Shelton or Inge catching enough to qualify in any league.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jmar » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:34 pm

because any time you can have a guy named Ivan or Vance calling a game, you do it.
Jmar
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Inge and Shelton

Postby jebnasty » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:59 pm

Technically, the both caught. Were they catchers, I think not.
jebnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:46 pm

moochman wrote:In what is proving to be retarted Tiger logic they will go with Wilson as thier back-up instead of the better C Inge. I will never understand why they don't groom Inge to the role he is suited to: Utility. He should be the back-up catcher and 3B. That would free up another roster spot for a better defensive 3B or a left-handed bat.

i'm pretty sure Brandon doesnt like catching though. why he gets his way is another issue. he constantly irks me with his comments in the papers about evaluating young talent like he is some scout with 30 years experience.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:47 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
moochman wrote:In what is proving to be retarted Tiger logic they will go with Wilson as thier back-up instead of the better C Inge. I will never understand why they don't groom Inge to the role he is suited to: Utility. He should be the back-up catcher and 3B. That would free up another roster spot for a better defensive 3B or a left-handed bat.

i'm pretty sure Brandon doesnt like catching though. why he gets his way is another issue. he constantly irks me with his comments in the papers about evaluating young talent like he is some scout with 30 years experience.

I've heard that too, but at some time you have to stop letting the tail wag the dog. They need to tell Inge that he has two choices: Do what we want and be a utility player for the Tigers, or play 3B down in Toledo for minor league wages.

Detroit really needs to start setting limits on their players, they've let them dictate when and what they will do for too many losing seasons. When you're Jeter you can say I won't play 3B, but when you're Inge....
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:25 pm

Wilson is/has been an at least mediocre backup catcher throughout his career. Most teams in baseball have a dedicated backup catcher, so where is the retarded logic in that?

And you talk about a better defensive 3B than Inge? Inge is quite good defensively, so you would be hard-pressed to find somebody better and comes cheaply.

As far as I know, Inge has simply stated that he prefers not to catch. He isn't making demands. They found that he has a good glove, athleticism, and great arm so they use him elsewhere. If he was a utility, he probably wouldn't catch much at all regardless. And Shelton has found a home at 1B, although moving to DH will be a possibility if they get someone more reliable defensively.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers