Buying new computers - need geek help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Buying new computers - need geek help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:28 pm

acsguitar wrote:Compaq is crap agreed.

If you definitly don't wanna build your PC I'd go with a dell I guess.

Just don't let a salesman convince you which one you need..

Tell me what you wanna do with it and I'll convince ya ;-D

Basically in a year or 2 I am thinking of building my own desktop. My current motherboard will only handle the processor I have it in now (it's maxed). It's a Athlon xp 3200+. When the 64 bit process applications pretty much take over, I would like to move to the 64 bit processing world and I basically would need a new motherboard as well and I figured a new computer would cost 500-600 bucks and I would rather spend around that and build my own computer.

Right now I have a stock pre-built eMachines that I have zero issues with (had an eMachines before this and loved it so I am loyal). I was wondering if the tower could be used for my new project to save about $100. I also have a DVD burner that I assume I could put into a new tower, but these are relatively cheap and I might want to get a faster burner, maybe even one that is lightscribe.

Another thing I was wondering about is my backup CD with Windows XP on it. Could I run that on my new system to get Windows on it or will it not match with the hardware or something when I go to run a restore? This might not even be worth it because I will probably be using Vista since I am moving towards 64bit world.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:34 pm

acsguitar wrote:My company uses Dell.. .don't get a GX270..They have Mobo problems that cause it to reboot constantly after a while

Holy crap! That's the model that I had to replace the MB in today! What a mess, it's the third on in the past six months I've had to replace in a GX270. Thankfully they don't make those anymore though and I would think they've addressed the problem. When I called dell about the PC randomly going into an unrecoverable standby mode, they were like "Yeah, a GX270? We know, here's your new mobo."
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:39 pm

Phatferd wrote: I was wondering if the tower could be used for my new project to save about $100. I also have a DVD burner that I assume I could put into a new tower, but these are relatively cheap and I might want to get a faster burner, maybe even one that is lightscribe.

Another thing I was wondering about is my backup CD with Windows XP on it. Could I run that on my new system to get Windows on it or will it not match with the hardware or something when I go to run a restore? This might not even be worth it because I will probably be using Vista since I am moving towards 64bit world.

The backup CD should run fine I'd think? As long as you know your CD key code..which is pretty easy to find a fake one anyways.

You can keep the DVD burner. The tower might use a different form then say a normal MOBO so maybee or maybee not.

Towers are like 20 bucks...good powersupplies are like 50 + bucks ...

So I'd take whatever you have and throw it in a new box.

ANd coppermine yea those gx270's are evil
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:50 pm

I just built a pretty solid system (Windows MCE with home-user video editing capability) for a little over $1k, including a 19" lcd.

Newegg is solid, but also look at tigerdirect.com (lots of rebates) and zipzoomfly.com (Free shipping on most stuff).

XP Pro is $130, regular or MCE.

Think really hard about what you need the system to do, including if you need front ports for audio, USB, or FireWire. There are tons of inexpensive cases and even more expensive ones.

If you are gaming, don't overlook cooling.

The place to splurge is on the MOBO. Get more space for RAM than you need right now. I went in to upgrade my kids' computer, and found out the max RAM is 512 MEG even though there were 3 open slots. That bit. Get several extra PCI slots.

Don't get a cheap power supply, either.

I agree that if you are willing to put the time in you can get a much better PC for your $$$ by building your own. The systems capable of working with video from the big companies were all in the $2k range.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bleach168 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:59 pm

I've had a dell for over 3 years and the only problem was the hard drive dying. I generally hear good things about Dell from friends who own one. Even if you end up building your own machine, you really need to consider buying one of these,

24" of pure nirvana for $800

And since you're a gamer, here is a good list of graphics cards from ok to OMG!!!

GeForce FX 5900XT
Radeon X1300 & All-in-Wonder 2006
GeForce FX 5800
S3 Chrome 25
Radeon 9700
GeForce FX 5900
GeForce PCX 5900
Radeon 9800
S3 Chrome 27
GeForce 6600
Radeon X1300pro
Radeon 9700pro
GeForce FX 5800ultra
Volari V8 Duo Ultra
GeForce FX 5900ultra
Radeon 9800pro
Radeon X700
GeForce FX 5950ultra
Radeon X700pro
GeForce 6800LE
GeForce 6800XT
GeForce 6800 (PCI-express version)
GeForce 6600GT
Radeon X800SE
Radeon 9800XT
Radeon X800GT & Radeon X800RX
Radeon X1600pro
Radeon X800 & Radeon X800GTO 128MB
GeForce 6800 (AGP version)
Radeon X800GTO & Radeon X800GTO² (256MB version for either)
GeForce 7600GT (preliminary ranking; card won't be announced until March)
Radeon X1600XT
GeForce 6800GS (AGP version)
Radeon X800pro
GeForce 6800GS (PCI-express version)
Radeon X850pro
GeForce 6800GT
Radeon X800XL & Radeon X800GTO 16
GeForce 7800GS (stock clock; 375MHz core)
GeForce 6800ultra
Radeon X800XT
Radeon X850XT
GeForce 7800GS (overclocked version; 400-430MHz core)
Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition
Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition
GeForce 7800GS (superclock version; 460MHz core, 1350MHz memory)
Radeon X1800XL
GeForce 7800GT
GeForce 7800GTX
GeForce 7900GT (preliminary ranking; card won't be announced until March)
Radeon X1800XT
Radeon X1900 All-in-Wonder
GeForce 7800GTX 512
GeForce 7900GTX (preliminary ranking; card won't be announced until March)
Radeon X1800XT Platinum Edition
Radeon X1900XT
Radeon X1900XTX

Edit: Any real gamer wouldn't be caught dead with a video card not on this list.
Last edited by bleach168 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby baseball6791 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:19 pm

I will defer to the others on the comp for gaming, just get a beefed up PC. For your wife's computer get a MAC. They are top of the line for graphics, digital media, and you can get office for your office work. If you really want a high end machine for graphics/video editing/etc, get a dual core Power Mac G5 (or if you really want to go big, get a quad core). If you aren't going to be doing as heavy duty editing/graphics work, and don't want to break the bank, get the new intel iMac ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bleach168 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:00 pm

Another thing about video cards, none of the current ones support HDCP. HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and is mandatory for high-definition playback of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs or you only get 25% the pixel density when watching movies in HD.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati ... efault.asp
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:05 am

Thanks for all the advice. I will admit that most of it flies over my head, but my wife probably understands.

Thanks for spec'n a computer, ACS, but that doesn't even include a monitor or the cost of having someone put it together for us if I read it right. So let me tell you what we're looking at getting for me per the ad:

Gateway GT5032 Computer
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with TV tuner
1024MB DDR memory
250GB hard drive
Double-layer multiformat DVDRW drive
9-in-1 media reader
nVIDIA GeForce 6100 graphics
upgrade to 21" wide screen monitor
cheapie printer

for $1379.97 (supposedly $180 off)

Here is in my words what I want to do with my computer which is a little different than my wife's take :)

- TRY online gaming which I have never tried before - if I like it I may want to play extensively. As per a previous post, I am not a "real" gamer. I've only ever played console and prefer old school games although the idea of playing interactively with other gamers is exciting.

- I want to try SNES and NES emulators and online poker

- I love the cbssportline.com baseball scoreboard and might have that up along with IMs while gaming

- I want to surf like a maniac without hinderance and I might be doing some selling on Ebay putting up lots of listings

- I don't think I want to watch dvds although I might dabble in downloading songs

Eh, that's all I can think of...
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:51 pm

Sticky Spice wrote:
Here is in my words what I want to do with my computer which is a little different than my wife's take :)

- TRY online gaming which I have never tried before - if I like it I may want to play extensively. As per a previous post, I am not a "real" gamer. I've only ever played console and prefer old school games although the idea of playing interactively with other gamers is exciting.

Don't need a dual core

- I want to try SNES and NES emulators and online poker. Barely need to have a computer to run these

- I love the cbssportline.com baseball scoreboard and might have that up along with IMs while gaming. Basic computer

- I want to surf like a maniac without hinderance and I might be doing some selling on Ebay putting up lots of listings. Basic COmputer

- I don't think I want to watch dvds although I might dabble in downloading songs. Basic computer

Not to be a jerk but if thats what you wanna do and you buy a 1,400 computer then you are not being very smart.

You basically need a Amd 3200+ for 175 bucks, a Gig of ram Maybeeeeee! probably not. And a graphics card like a 6600gt which runs like $150.

That computer is way way way way way way way too much for what you wanna do with it...Its a waste of money.

Also, I got my 19" flat panel for 180 bucks..although it did just die...but thats not the point :-D

So anyways...I play alot of games and do a lot of dvd encrypting/burning and pretty much try to push my computer..

i don't even need that.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:54 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Sticky Spice wrote:

Don't need a dual core

- I want to try SNES and NES emulators and online poker. Barely need to have a computer to run these

- I love the cbssportline.com baseball scoreboard and might have that up along with IMs while gaming. Basic computer

- I want to surf like a maniac without hinderance and I might be doing some selling on Ebay putting up lots of listings. Basic COmputer

- I don't think I want to watch dvds although I might dabble in downloading songs. Basic computer

Not to be a jerk but if thats what you wanna do and you buy a 1,400 computer then you are not being very smart.

You basically need a Amd 3200+ for 175 bucks, a Gig of ram Maybeeeeee! probably not. And a graphics card like a 6600gt which runs like $150.

That computer is way way way way way way way too much for what you wanna do with it...Its a waste of money.

Also, I got my 19" flat panel for 180 bucks..although it did just die...but thats not the point :-D

So anyways...I play alot of games and do a lot of dvd encrypting/burning and pretty much try to push my computer..

i don't even need that.

I got a bundled deal with the printer and monitor a year ago for an Athlon 3200 for $400 after rebates and all you really need to do is throw another $150 in for the video card and you pretty much have what you want for $550, which is half of what you are willing to pay.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Acer-Aspire-Desktop-PC-ASE360UA3500-/sem/rpsm/oid/141418/catOid/-12962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

This computer has a PCIexpress card, which is the future of video cards so this will allow you to get an awesome video card and it even has 1gb of RAM which will save you from getting more RAM anytime soon.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk