Bobby Crosby, MVP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bobby Crosby, MVP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby brandnew » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:20 am

Great players don't make other players better in baseball. It's the most individual sport other than golf. You can't go up there and help your teammate when he's at the plate against Roger Clemens flailing at balls in the dirt. Your argument makes no sense.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby looptid » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:56 am

If you want to go by VORP and the semi-accepted standard of 10 runs equalling a win, Pujols by himself brings around 10 wins a season, which is huge. That is his value. That would have brought the Royals up to 66 wins last year. He's worth around 10 wins whether he plays for a condtender or a door matt. Anyone that bats .330/.430/.609 over 700 plate appearances has huge value to their team, regardless of how the team winds up in the standings. It doesn't matter if a player signed for big money with a poor team, as opposed to being developed by that team or traded to that team.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Iconoclastic » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:51 pm

brandnew wrote:Great players don't make other players better in baseball. It's the most individual sport other than golf. You can't go up there and help your teammate when he's at the plate against Roger Clemens flailing at balls in the dirt. Your argument makes no sense.

Can't a great baserunner on first base help the batter by causing chaos on the basepaths and distracting the pitcher?
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SouthBronxBombers » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:06 pm

brandnew wrote:Great players don't make other players better in baseball. It's the most individual sport other than golf. You can't go up there and help your teammate when he's at the plate against Roger Clemens flailing at balls in the dirt. Your argument makes no sense.

While you can't help him hit, you can certainly affect the pitches he gets. As the previous person mentioned, distracting the person while on base. If the great player is hitting behind him, it usually means he will see more fastballs as well. While it might not mean that much against Clemens, 99.9% of the pitchers are not as good as Clemens either.
SouthBronxBombers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:37 pm

Iconoclastic wrote:

Can't a great baserunner on first base help the batter by causing chaos on the basepaths and distracting the pitcher?

He also can effect the type of pitch thrown, giving a hitter/manager a better idea of what is coming as well as decreasing the change of a slower, less controllable breaking pitch. i.e. Mark Teixeira and Hank Blalock have benefited somewhat from Micheal Young and Soriano being on base ahead of them.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:21 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
If the guy has the best numbers, how can he not mean anything to his team's success? It's not his fault his teammates are awful.

1. If his team sucks, who cares about his numbers

2. Great players elevate the play of their teammates and make their teams relevant.

3. If you take the money to play for a crappy team, you don't deserve MVP.

4. Its a heck of a lot easier to get good numbers when your team is out of the race.

1. Every knowledgable fantasy owner, but I digress. It's not his fault his team sucks, if he's doing his part.

2. That's a myth in the game of baseball. In a fluid team game like basketball, sure, but not a game where a man steps in the batters box by himself. You'll have a heck of a time convincing me otherwise.

3. Nothing more than your opinion. I find it hard to believe you'd do anything other than take top dollar if given the opportunity, for your career.

4. Statistical evidence, please?

Sounds like a bunch of lopsided opinions being spewed here. Welcome to the Cafe, where stuff like this gets called out.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Re: Bobby Crosby, MVP

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:23 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Harold Reynolds just predicted Crosby will win the AL MVP this year. I'm high on the kid, but this seems a little over the edge. Could this be the breakout year we've all been waiting for from him?

I know the A's sucks without him but MVP is ARod's barring an injury
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:28 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Harold Reynolds just predicted Crosby will win the AL MVP this year. I'm high on the kid, but this seems a little over the edge. Could this be the breakout year we've all been waiting for from him?

It's a good thing we don't hang out MVP awards in March ;-7

Guys like Hafner, Teixeira, and even teammate Jason Giambi if he bounces back to where he once was when he was winning the AL MVP, will have something to say about A-Rod's 'shoe in' 06 MVP Award...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:33 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

It's a good thing we don't hang out MVP awards in March ;-7

Guys like Hafner, Teixeira, and even teammate Jason Giambi if he bounces back to where he once was when he was winning the AL MVP, will have something to say about A-Rod's 'shoe in' 06 MVP Award...

check back with me by the end of the season ;-7
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Half Massed » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:21 pm

Crosby is having trouble staying healthy pre-season. He's been having to DH because he's having some arm (shoulder?) trouble still. He won't be DHing during the year because of Thomas, so he has to play SS. I think in the future he'll be an MVP candidate, but I'm having trouble seeing him stay healthy enough to do it this year.

He took a good step when he was healthy last year, but it'll take at least another few steps to get to MVP level.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers