The Contract Year Myth - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Contract Year Myth

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Contract Year Myth

Postby Gizmo » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:46 pm

I always read people asking about which players are in their contract year and therefore which players are expected to have big seasons. I am just wondering, how many people really buy this idea of the contract year?

I mean is the idea that because someone is suddenly in their contract year, they start training harder, playing harder, concentrating harder etc and then explode with big numbers. If so then you are telling me that most players in baseball never play their hardest and can simply turn it on in their contract year.

A guy like Beltre screws around for a few years, turns it on for one, then screws around again. If this is a case then what a waste of talent this guy and all the others like him are. How I would hate to be busting my butt day in day out and have a team mate like Beltre who doesn't give a crap.

Maybe there is something more to this contract year thing. Do you really people really think Betlre simply turned it on? Or was he slippiing something into his wheaties every morning?

This whole contract year is something I am particular curious about and is a phenomenon particularly curious to baseball.
Gizmo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moose32 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:53 pm

I think people get themselves in better shape, but I think there's a subconscious part to it
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:45 pm

I remember seeing Beltré hobble down the baseline w/ some ankle problem early in '04 and thinking 'no way he'll be playing much longer' so I don't question his commitment to play.

I think he just had an off year, maybe changing leagues, maybe moving from SoCal to Seattle didn't agree w/ him, maybe the rest of the team were kind of a drag too. Ichiro was griping about that recently in something I read about the WBC but I can't find the link now.

That being said, having taken Beltré last year, there's no way I'm gambling on him this year.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby great gretzky » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:50 pm

well, ball players aren't automotons. So I think there is something to it.

Personally, this is harder to find out, but I think getting married in the off-season has an adverse effect.

If you think about it, not much is as big a life changer than getting married. So now, you are distracted, establishing a household, you have another person's conisderations etc. It makes you career seem a little smaller.

These aren't baseball examples, but they are off the top of my head. Tiger Woods and Donovan McNAbb had "off seasons" after getting amrried, I believe Shaq did as well.

In other words, I believe the contract year thing. But its too hard to predict, as some people really thrive on pressure, while others perform better when they don't have uncertainty. Without being in the locker room, its too tough to tell.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:55 pm

great gretzky wrote:well, ball players aren't automotons. So I think there is something to it.

Personally, this is harder to find out, but I think getting married in the off-season has an adverse effect.

If you think about it, not much is as big a life changer than getting married. So now, you are distracted, establishing a household, you have another person's conisderations etc. It makes you career seem a little smaller.

These aren't baseball examples, but they are off the top of my head. Tiger Woods and Donovan McNAbb had "off seasons" after getting amrried, I believe Shaq did as well.

In other words, I believe the contract year thing. But its too hard to predict, as some people really thrive on pressure, while others perform better when they don't have uncertainty. Without being in the locker room, its too tough to tell.

THAT IS GENIUS!!! *applause for Great Gretzky!!*

Now, who got married this year? I don't recall hearing about any Cubs or Sox other than Frank Thomas. :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 pm

oh, if you scrouge around here, you'll find that the, "contract year" idea has been throughly debunked. basically, people remember everyone who happened to have a great year in their contract year and forget about everyone who didn't.

re: the wife theory, though, how can you mention it without saying, "No-Mah"? (not that i think that it realistically has any more validity)
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:13 pm

Matthias wrote: re: the wife theory, though, how can you mention it without saying, "No-Mah"? (not that i think that it realistically has any more validity)

It is ESPECIALLY hazardous if you play soccer w/ your wife!! Har har. Anybody else heard of any MLB weddings? Thomas probably will need some chicken soup at some point in time so he may benefit from having Mrs. Hurt around...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:25 pm

uh oh, another one bites the dust, here's a link to some blog about "Baseball Superstud David Eckstein's Wedding" 8-o

I just about freaked out as Googling MLB weddings 2005-2006 also brought up a link to a story about Jason Bay (who I have on 2 teams...) who'd gone to a FRIEND'S wedding and was in a fragile, emotive state which made him cry when he signed his contract. I was like 'yikes, if he got married I'd better deal him...' :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:35 pm

Pedro was married this off-season. :-o
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:38 pm

Amazinz wrote:Pedro was married this off-season. :-o

That's good to know!! I didn't get him and have 1 draft to go but if you trim him down a bit, even if he doesn't reinjure the toe taking out the trash or doing chores when he's in town, that could make a difference!!

I like how sun and windburnt Eckstein's face looks compared to Mrs. Eckstein's face. ;-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers