Prince Fielder - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prince Fielder

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:19 am

WittyC wrote:It's really hard to say for '06, simply because he hasn't faced much MLB pitching. I like him to be a better fantasy player than Howard down the stretch, but probably not this season.

Can he have a Teixeira-type impact? Well, if you mean a season like Teix's rookie campaign (66-26-84-1-.259), he sure can... well, minus the stolen base. :*)

However, it would be a longshot to think he could put up numbers like Teix has over the past two seasons, especially as early as Teix did it in his career. Teix is a special fantasy player, helped out by being in a great hitter's park. Guys like him don't come along too often, so he's really not a fair measuring stick.

Fielder should hit for power and average and he'll steal more than Teix does, he's not a slow guy considering his size. His downside is that he's not in an extreme hitters park like Teix is. Teix's splits are mediocre on the road.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Prince Fielder

Postby TB13 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:32 am

Yoda wrote:
TB13 wrote:What does everyone think that his season will look like? And just what does the future hold? Can he have a Texiera type impact? Is he a Ryan Howard clone?

Fielder is a better breed than Howard.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't have a similar impact as Teixeira did in his rookie year except for an injury. He did sprain his elbow and although not considered serious, if this bothers him he could get off to a slow start.

That's kind of what I am thinking. But I did not know if I was out of my mind for thinking so.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TB13 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:36 am

Ender wrote:
WittyC wrote:Fielder should hit for power and average and he'll steal more than Teix does, he's not a slow guy considering his size. His downside is that he's not in an extreme hitters park like Teix is. Teix's splits are mediocre on the road.

If you double Tex's numbers on the road, they still get you to 25+ homers & 100 rbi's I believe. So, not quite mediocre.
But back to the topic, I know that Tex was hyped and to a lesser degree so too was Howard. But not all too long ago, people thought that Fielder was the best pure power prospect going. And Milwaukee does not favor pitchers all that much, I do not think.
I don't think that he will be Tex, but for whatever reason, I do not see why he cannot at least produce like Howard did. The Brewers line-up is not that terrible either.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:44 am

TB13 wrote:
Ender wrote:
WittyC wrote:Fielder should hit for power and average and he'll steal more than Teix does, he's not a slow guy considering his size. His downside is that he's not in an extreme hitters park like Teix is. Teix's splits are mediocre on the road.

If you double Tex's numbers on the road, they still get you to 25+ homers & 100 rbi's I believe. So, not quite mediocre.
But back to the topic, I know that Tex was hyped and to a lesser degree so too was Howard. But not all too long ago, people thought that Fielder was the best pure power prospect going. And Milwaukee does not favor pitchers all that much, I do not think.
I don't think that he will be Tex, but for whatever reason, I do not see why he cannot at least produce like Howard did. The Brewers line-up is not that terrible either.

Funny how when I projected Teix's road BA out, it still came to .270. ;-7

Teix is a great fantasy player, but don't get it twisted... if he was playing in most other parks, he'd be a fifth-round pick.

As I said before, I predict Fielder will be a better fantasy player than Howard down the line. I just wouldn't bank on it happening in '06, because most players need time to adjust to major league pitching. For whatever reason, Howard clicked right away, but that is far from being the norm.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby perlick29 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:02 am

270 and 25 homers sounds perfect to me for this year for fielder.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:28 am

Teix has a career OPS of .788 on the road and 1.019 at home. I don't think he'd be an .788 OPS guy in another park but I do think he'd be only slightly above league average for a 1B, probably around an .850 or so.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Music2004Man » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:42 am

DevilDriver wrote:
TB13 wrote:Is 25-28 HR's & 90 RBI's really that far out of the question?

That's possible, but for a rookie season, that's alot. Still he has the potential to do that, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I think he's batting 3rd in the Brewers lineup (behind Rickie Weeks, in front of Carlos Lee).

I wouldn't be suprised if they start him off hitting 5th for the start of the season. I could see Clark, Weeks, Lee, Jenkins, Fielder to start off the year for the young guy with alittle less pressure.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Scooter1027 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:33 pm

Music2004Man wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:
TB13 wrote:Is 25-28 HR's & 90 RBI's really that far out of the question?

That's possible, but for a rookie season, that's alot. Still he has the potential to do that, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I think he's batting 3rd in the Brewers lineup (behind Rickie Weeks, in front of Carlos Lee).

I wouldn't be suprised if they start him off hitting 5th for the start of the season. I could see Clark, Weeks, Lee, Jenkins, Fielder to start off the year for the young guy with alittle less pressure.

I highly, highly doubt Lee's moving out of the 4 spot. Jenkins has ben hinting that he wants to hit 3rd, but he hit so much better in the 5 spot last year that he may not be moved. So far this preseason, JJ Hardy has hit 2nd when he's played (Bill Hall hit 2nd the day he played SS). There's been no consistent #3 hitter, but I get the feeling right now that it could be Weeks. He hit 3rd once, and is hitting cleanup today. Koskie has also hit both 4th and 5th. It really won't be solidified though until Lee comes back and locks into the 4 spot. Ultimately, I would guess that either Weeks or Jenkins hits third. These are the only spots that I feel very comfortable predicting:

1 CF Brady Clark
2 SS JJ Hardy
3 ?
4 LF Carlos Lee
5 ?
6 ?
7 ?
8 C Damian Miller
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic