WBC - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

WBC

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WBC

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:13 pm

recorded Korea/Japan game. Found out a star Korean 3B dislocated his shoulder and will miss about 3 months of regular season.

Who covers his medical bills? Do the teams have to continue to pay the players or does WBC have some sort of a program to pick up salary if someone gets hurt?

Also was interesting to see Ichiro getting pegged after making his remark about how Japan will dominate Asian for the next 30 years. These two countries do not like each other.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hooligan1 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:19 pm

The Boss's worst fears realized!! A star player, hurt during WBC....play.....what's that you say? It wasn't one of my Yankees? Well then it clearly wasn't a true "star player", now was it? (says George)

It would be interesting to find out how the payment thing works. My guess for MLB is that Selig has told the owners that they will continue to pay any of their players hurt in the WBC, but who knows about other leagues?
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:10 pm

Was this game televised? Is there a schedule as to what games are on T.V.?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Mercer Boy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:14 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Was this game televised? Is there a schedule as to what games are on T.V.?

Check MLB.com...they have a full schedule. A lot of the games are on in the early mornings due to where they are being played. :-P
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mweir145 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:18 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Was this game televised? Is there a schedule as to what games are on T.V.?

The games in Japan are now over, Korea and Japan were the two teams to advance this week.

As for the rest of the games in the 3 remaining groups, I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of them are being televised by ESPN/ESPN 2.

If the U.S. wins their group of Canada, South Africa and Mexico, they'll play Japan in the 2nd round. Canada appears to be setting up for a game agaisnt the Koreans.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:24 pm

Wow what a game. Korean team was getting manhandled but one swing changed the game. This guy Lee can absolutely rake. I wonder if he will ever make it over to the states.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:29 pm

re the injuries, I'd have to suspect that they'd get some type of special event type of insurance to cover the expenses of players injured in this sort of thing. It would be a bit odd b/c you'd have guys from the US, who would pretty much have to cover their own bills, but also people from other countries w/ more socialized sorts of medical treatment available for whom it might not actually matter who pays the bills as they are 'covered' as people, rather than as athletes? I'm not sure though.

I will need to get the DVR set for this...thanks for the updates!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby HiddenIdentity » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Yoda wrote:Wow what a game. Korean team was getting manhandled but one swing changed the game. This guy Lee can absolutely rake. I wonder if he will ever make it over to the states.

This guy Lee can rake? That narrows it down to about a million people.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:13 pm

HiddenIdentity wrote:
Yoda wrote:Wow what a game. Korean team was getting manhandled but one swing changed the game. This guy Lee can absolutely rake. I wonder if he will ever make it over to the states.

This guy Lee can rake? That narrows it down to about a million people.

Since this thread is about Korea/Japan series, I am referring the clean up hitter for the Korean team.

He will be playing for the Yomiuri Giants next season and he set an Asian record for HRs in a single season with something like 57 bombs.

He hit a monster drive off the Japanese closer to win the game in the 8th.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby number9 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:43 am

After hitting 56 in Korea, Lee came to Japan to play for Valentine's Chiba Lotte Marines, but he couldn't reproduce the power across the sea (He hit 14 and 30 in 100 and 117 games respectively for the last two years in Japan, so the power does seem to be coming back but not to KBO levels) . Still a productive hitter though, much like Hideki Matsui's transition to the majors.

Anyways, that was a great game and it didn't feel like a meaningless game, which it was because both teams had already secured their places in Anaheim for the 2nd round.

Wonder if Canada or Mexico will make it through to the 2nd round? And does Panama have a chance to make it out of their group? Otherwise all the good action seems to be in the 2nd round and beyond. The bizarre format sucks though, as all the strong Caribbean sides have to fight eachother for one spot in the final, even though they could very easily have the finals amongst themselves. I guess MLB reckons that would be ratings and popularity suicide.
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers