Crystal Ball Sheffield For Me - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Crystal Ball Sheffield For Me

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Crystal Ball Sheffield For Me

Postby Remotethumb » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:06 pm

Are Gary Sheffield's back spasms serious? Anyone think he's a huge risk? Most mock drafts have him from #14-#24, I'm tempted to take him with my 2nd pick (#21 overall) but am curious about his numerous dings & bruises. What do you think?
Remotethumb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby olympia0731 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:23 pm

I look into my crystal ball and say Gary Sheffield, Seconds pass, and then i see it............. Gary Sheffield plays 155 games, bats .309 37 115 105 4. You select him with your second pick and will be happy you did. Thank you oh crystal ball for providing your wisdom..... your welcome it says back.
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Gatekeeper » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:04 am

I read quotes by both Sheffield and Torre that said he has been taking it easy on a precautionary note. Word is he should be in fine playing shape well before the season starts.
The Gatekeeper
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:40 am

you really have weigh your options though because sheff will be declining SOMETIME and you dont want to be caught with him when he does.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

sheff

Postby Eightan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:28 am

Snakes Gould wrote:you really have weigh your options though because sheff will be declining SOMETIME and you dont want to be caught with him when he does.

I'll take Sheff on the decline over some other "star" players any day and twice on Sunday. The guy is simply a beast. An RBI machine who just, in his own words, gets it done. His average is falling slightly, expect .290-.295 and his homers are down, expect 35 or so, but the RBI's and runs will always be there, expect 125 and 110 respectively. He has been striking out a bit more than normal, but walks just about as much, for leagues in which this matters (like mine). And expect around 7-9 sneaky stolen bases, not much help but better than none.
As for his injuries... he plays hurt, which surprisingly doesn't limit his productivity, and will be seeing some time at DH as Bernie will be playing some games in right field. Take him if he's there. ;-D
you can't live the dream, if you don't play the game
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:54 pm

I think you *could* pick Sheffield and have maybe a 70% chance of him going .309 37 115 105 4 (as the above poster mentions), and maybe a 30% chance of having an injury or rapid decline.

On the other hand, you could pick Chase Utley (assuming he's still available), a player on the upswing of his career, and have a very good chance of him going .295 30 100 15, at a much scarcer position.

Me, I'd go with Utley. If Sheffield is slightly better stat-wise, you'll console yourself that you don't have Ryan Freel or Todd Walker as your 2B. If you pick Sheffield and he falls apart, you'll be much more upset.

On the other hand, if Utley gets injured and Sheffield hits 50 HR, you'll be kicking yourself too... :-D
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:00 am

EugeneStyles wrote:I think you *could* pick Sheffield and have maybe a 70% chance of him going .309 37 115 105 4 (as the above poster mentions), and maybe a 30% chance of having an injury or rapid decline.

On the other hand, you could pick Chase Utley (assuming he's still available), a player on the upswing of his career, and have a very good chance of him going .295 30 100 15, at a much scarcer position.

Me, I'd go with Utley. If Sheffield is slightly better stat-wise, you'll console yourself that you don't have Ryan Freel or Todd Walker as your 2B. If you pick Sheffield and he falls apart, you'll be much more upset.:-D

1. Sheff is not going to hit 50 hr, ill bet my life on it.
2. Id take utley over sheff for the rest of my existence on earth.
On the other hand, if Utley gets injured and Sheffield hits 50 HR, you'll be kicking yourself too...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates