Rating the Positions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rating the Positions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rating the Positions

Postby Nspectur » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:25 pm

I am a relative newcomer to fantasy baseball, but I am addicted. Is there a way that you rank positions for their value and look for on draft day, or is it solely based on the individual player? I have read a lot about looking for players at positions where great or even good players are scarce, but I cannot see drafting a catcher before a great outfielder just because there are less available. There is a ton of "experts" out there, but so far, none of them seem to agree when evaluating players and making predictions. What source is best in your opinion and experience? Thanks for any help you can give this novice.
Nspectur
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:36 pm

the thing is, Nspectur, no individual strategy is the best way. You can win a league with multiple different strategies. I think the Draft is about 33% of winning your league. 33% is knowing who to bench when keeping your best players on the field every day, 16.5% is making wise trades in your weak areas and 16.5% is plain luck. So if you draft all scarce players does that mean you will win your league? Probably not. You can draft all hitters and no pitchers and still win your league. Just try out a few mock drafts with different strategies and find one you like. I try to change a thing or two every year just to make it interesting.

The biggest thing is to have fun.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby yeyo44 » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:02 pm

I agree with Trev on everything!!!
yeyo44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Thanks for the input

Postby Nspectur » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:40 pm

I appreciate the reply. I am in a 14 team mixed keeper league and it is pretty competitive from what I have seen so far. I am doing it for fun, but the competitive juices start flowing, too, and it's not much fun to finish 14th, so I am trying to get any edge I can. :-)
Nspectur
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ironman » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:45 pm

I like to look at Sporting News' overall fantasy rankings so I know how NOT to rank my guys. :-D
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Position Ratings

Postby Nspectur » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:58 pm

I appreciate that Ironman. Are you familiar with Fantistics at insiderbaseball.com? If you have used their rankings, have they panned out? Thanks :-/
Nspectur
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Silentmist » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:36 pm

well, no rankings are ever right, find a set you like, and adjust to your personal prefrence.

kinda like every book has freddie garica above joel pinero, i owned both last year no way in hell will i ever own garcia again, he blows ass no matter what they say.........
Silentmist

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:41 am

My theory is to try to get a few studs in the first couple rounds, but after that you have to look at weaker fielding positions. ie. shortstop, catcher and second base. There are only a handfull of guys in these positions that are standouts and to have one is a bonus in my book. For example I am in a 3 man keeper league and even though I have Giles and Green I am going to keep Kent and Soriano to lock up the 2nd base position and my 3rd keeper is the "Big Unit". Hopefully this will pan out well. I know I can get a stud for an outfielder in the first couple rounds maybe even the guys I dropped.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Steeljim » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:43 am

The guest post was mine...forgot to log in. :-)
Steeljim
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers