Is Jeff Kent undervalued this year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Jeff Kent undervalued this year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Jeff Kent undervalued this year?

Postby cannonarm21 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:44 pm

I keep seeing Utley go between picks 12-18, and Kent is falling to the late 4th, early 5th. Kent is as consistent as they come at a pretty shallow position. I was pretty surprised when I compared Kent stats against Utley's.

KENT (10 more AB's then Utley)
.289, 29 HR, 109 RBI'S, 100 RUNS, 6 SB

UTLEY
.291, 28 HR, 105 RBI'S, 93 RUNS, 16 SB

Just seems Kent could be worth a 3rd rounder. While I realize Utley has more upside, I could argue Kent's consistency against that.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:16 pm

Utley's upside is why he's going earlier. He could do something along the lines of .310-35-110 with 100 runs and 20 steals. As much as I like Kent (I seem to end up with him on several teams each year), he won't put up those numbers in LA.

As to Kent's draft position, yes, he's going later than he should, but it's always nice to scoop up someone who falls too far. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby olympia0731 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:36 pm

Another thing, is that the difference between 16-20 steals and 6 steals is huge. I think that kent may be a bit undervalued, but is nowhere near Utley
olympia0731
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pochucker » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:42 pm

I also seem to remember that Kent had surgery (minor) on his wrist or he aggravated it during this recent off season. Not sure which.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Redefine9d » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:35 pm

Kent might be a bit undervalued but he also is getting older and coming off surgery. Utley's upside is tremendous and he could develop into a future first rounder. Kent might be had at a cheap cost this year, but I'm still a bit weary of him.
Redefine9d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:39 pm

To answer your question, Kent probably is a bit undervalued.

If you can't Utley, Figgins & maybe even Soriano in the first few rounds you might be able to hold off & Kent in the 4th-5th or so.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Jury » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:43 pm

Redefine9d wrote:Kent might be a bit undervalued but he also is getting older and coming off surgery. Utley's upside is tremendous and he could develop into a future first rounder. Kent might be had at a cheap cost this year, but I'm still a bit weary of him.

He is getting older but his skills have not deteriorated and he still has one of the quickest strokes in the game.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:42 am

Using the twos stats last season is decieving because Utley didn't have a starting spot (for sure) until May. That was about 60-70 at bats missed, so you should multiply Utley's stats by 600/540 (difference in at bats) and his numbers leap over Kent's a little bit further. It gives the line of .291, 103 runs, 31 homeruns, 117 rbi, 18 stolen bases. That said, I still think Kent is being slightly undervalued.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby perlick29 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:11 am

Kent's a guy who if you you dont draft should be traded for at about mid-season, because IMO the Dodgers will look to trade him to a better contender come the deadline. A team like Oakland might consider renting him which would put him in a bit better hitting situation.

That being said I think his numbers this year will be slightly below last year since he was declining slightly before rebounding last year. Utley is a better pick but Kent is still top 5 2B so draft him accordingly. I dont think he's way undervalued, but good for everyone if he's slipping you can snatch him.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:19 am

I've seen Kent going a bit later than he probably should. I'm sure his age and attitude play into that. He isn't a very popular guy, and people like drafting players they can pull for.

That being said, I think Utley is also going a bit higher than he should. With one season in the majors to base everything on, I'm not sure he should be a top-15 pick like I've seen. Even if he duplicates those numbers, that doesn't put him that high in the draft. Position scarcity plays into it, but that shouldn't make him a Jason Bay level pick.

Just to note, there is ONE league I'm in that took the same point of view as this thread's starter. They drafted Utley 33 and Kent 34. :-D
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers