Do I have a Problem? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do I have a Problem?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby arkman » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:56 pm

I was once asked by a girlfriend what was more important to me baseball or her. Damn I hate those questions! Anyway, I answered her (I crossed my fingers), but I took just a little too long thinking about it before I answered.
Now I spend a few minutes practicing my response every year. I ask myself that question, quickly cross my fingers, and provide the required answer. I'm getting a little faster every year. ;-)
arkman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mkoss » Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:02 pm

arkman wrote:I was once asked by a girlfriend what was more important to me baseball or her. Damn I hate those questions! Anyway, I answered her (I crossed my fingers), but I took just a little too long thinking about it before I answered.
Now I spend a few minutes practicing my response every year. I ask myself that question, quickly cross my fingers, and provide the required answer. I'm getting a little faster every year. ;-)

LOL!

I'm going to repeat this story, sorry to anyone who has already heard it.

About a month ago I said to my wife, "Only 45 more days until pitchers and catcher!" She turned to me and asked, "And how many days until the baby is due?" I had to admit that I had no clue, but my excuse was that the baby would be longer in coming and it was an uncertain date. I think she bought it, but you never know.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

We're all crazy now ...

Postby ScurvyDog » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:13 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one who goes through this...

Last year at the end of the season, ERA was a close race - one night after sex (that's not swearing is it, Arlo?) I proceeded (HEY, I waited for the appropriate snuggle time to end) to watch Sportscenter and calculate my pitchers ERA's for the day. Let's just say that it didn't go over well - BUT, I think she said the other day that we could start having sex again soon? (DON'T TELL HER about pitchers/catcher reporting PLEASE!)

I love fantasy baseball - I have already done every player in our league's protection lists for them - at the draft, I pull then out and proceed to tell them all how stupid they were .. (Even if I did protect Griffey Jr for $29 last year - dumb!)
"Life is tough. But it is even tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
ScurvyDog

Postby tallmike » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:53 pm

Hi my name is Mike and I'm a poolaholic.

The first step is admitting it and knowing you have a problem.

It all started so easily. Arkman (he has a house with boarded windows down in the ghetto where fantasy players can go surf the web and conduct mock auctions and drafts in the network. kids linger in the stairwell - its horrible) asked if I wanted to join an AL only fantasy league as an expansion team.

Sure I'd dabbled a bit in playoff hockey pools in college but I didn't have a problem. It was just a bit of fun with the frat brothers. Then came a full season points only hockey pool.

Now its winter 10 category fantasy hockey with an auction and keepers, summer al 5x5 with auction and keepers and considering fantasy golf for goodness sake.

I go through withdrawal every summer when we go to the cottage for a week and (can you believe it?????) there is no internet access. You have to check a box score in the paper - remember those?

My wife just looks the other way with sad look of resignation. Its our dirty little secret. I feel bad. I've gotten friends involved. When I think I'm obsessed I just look at KS - you know who I mean arkman. My wife only gets mad when it looks like I'm trying to hook the kids in:

this is how division works - if eddie belfour let's in 9 goals in three games his goals against average is . . . ?

He's only 7 so its a bit early for OBP.

And worst of all. I know Esteban Loaiza's stats from last year and he wasn't even on my team.

Can anyone help me?

Wait. I don't want any help. Auction is only 7 weeks away. And if everyone would hurry up I'll get another quick little fix in the cafe mock draft.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby arkman » Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:24 pm

Two more good examples of total addiction:

1. One of the owners in our league left the hospital to make the draft. He walked in the room minutes before the start of our auction, looking incredibly pale, and ripped off his admittance tag. He finished the draft, but just barely and he looked like 'death' by the end of it.

2. Another owner is cutting short his '6 month' backpacking trip around Central America to make it home in time for the auction. I'm pretty sure his girlfriend, and travelling, companion isn't too impressed.

I'm not sure this is really the correct place to be asking the question that is posed by this thread. Seems to me like we might be just getting one side of the argument.
arkman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Do I have a Problem?

Postby B.O.S. Owner » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:10 am

YES, you certainly have a problem! The good news is that you are not alone. Maybe we need to get arlo to add a link for marriage counseling targeting fantasy sports addicts.
B.O.S. Owner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:44 am

How about "How to get your significant other involved in fantasy baseball"? :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby trevisc » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:48 am

One thing about my wife is she loves the Braves almost as much as I do so we watch all the games we can together. I can't complain too much about her not liking fantasy baseball. Anyways I think she'd kick my boo-tay if she played in the same league as me. She has an awesome analytical mind.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby AtP » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:52 am

we had a guy come to our auction just 4 hour after his vasectomy..dedication at its finest
AtP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Steeljim » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:03 pm

I think this is just an ongoing battle with the opposite sex. They don't understand our vigorous appetite for sports news and Fantasy Leagues as much as we don't understand their Lifetime obsession. The only time I get in trouble is when I don't have enough money to take her out, yet I just paid $50 in transaction money from the last month. :-b
Steeljim
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers