Kerry Wood to have knee Surgery!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kerry Wood to have knee Surgery!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:40 pm

That sound you just heard was what was left of Kerry Wood's fantasy value crashing through the floor on its way to eternal damnation.

Rotoworld:
Kerry Wood's right knee surgery is to repair a medial meniscus tear. He said it will take place on Tuesday.
"They're not fixing anything, they're taking a piece out," Wood said. "We're not in danger here." Wood said he's not in pain, and he would have preferred not to have the surgery, though the team believes it's for the best. Because his arm feels fine, he threw today and he'll have another bullpen session on Monday. Following the knee surgery, he'll probably need at least a week off, something that will set back his rehab two or three weeks anyway. It appears that he still could make it back in May. Mar. 3 - 4:52 pm et
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:43 pm

Well I have funky knees and I don't just go get surgery on them cause they don't hurt...sounds fishy
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:56 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:That sound you just heard was what was left of Kerry Wood's fantasy value crashing through the floor on its way to eternal damnation.

Rotoworld:
Kerry Wood's right knee surgery is to repair a medial meniscus tear. He said it will take place on Tuesday.
"They're not fixing anything, they're taking a piece out," Wood said. "We're not in danger here." Wood said he's not in pain, and he would have preferred not to have the surgery, though the team believes it's for the best. Because his arm feels fine, he threw today and he'll have another bullpen session on Monday. Following the knee surgery, he'll probably need at least a week off, something that will set back his rehab two or three weeks anyway. It appears that he still could make it back in May. Mar. 3 - 4:52 pm et

Remember how quickly Gagne's minor knee problem turned into a major elbow problem in 05?

Wood was already on my short list of 'avoid at all cost' player before the news. This doesn't help.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ahorsefish » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:14 pm

Now his stock slips a little it might be a great time to draft him. If he's around 15th or 16th round it wouldn't hurt to draft him and stack him in the DL. Even though he had so many problems the past few years his upsides are too great to ignore.

"Remember how quickly Gagne's minor knee problem turned into a major elbow problem in 05? "

I think it was his ankle actually. Well the reason why the Cubs want Wood to have surgery now is they don't want it to become a bigger problem.
ahorsefish Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:02 pm

ahorsefish wrote:Now his stock slips a little it might be a great time to draft him. If he's around 15th or 16th round it wouldn't hurt to draft him and stack him in the DL. Even though he had so many problems the past few years his upsides are too great to ignore.

"Remember how quickly Gagne's minor knee problem turned into a major elbow problem in 05? "

I think it was his ankle actually. Well the reason why the Cubs want Wood to have surgery now is they don't want it to become a bigger problem.

Ahhh...this is the Cubs management, aka, the biggest bunch of liars in MLB today, we are talking about. Prior and his mystery ailments. Wood and his mystery ailments...yada yada yada. Oh its a minor tweak...out a month+. If this was so innocent, why they not do it in December? Why wait until ST? Even if he is back in May, why bother with him in fantasy now?

He was on my avoid list already, but was still worth a round 24 flier. Now I would not touch this guy other than to fill an empty DL slot once the season starts. Total waste.

I would not waste a round 15 or 16 pick on him. Guys like JD Drew can and often do slip that far...far far far better investments.
Guys like Dye and Wilkerson and Lane can be had there as well...also far better investments...and they actually can play.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ahorsefish » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:12 pm

OK, 15th round maybe a little too high.

Guys like Dye and Wilkerson will be a decent 3rd outfielder at best. But IF, IF Wood comes back in May or June and make 20+ starts he can put up some serious numbers. My point is when you get close to the 20th round there are still plenty of posistion with upsides but there aren't many SPs with upsides as huge as Wood.
ahorsefish Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:19 pm

Drafting Wood is like Charlie Brown kicking the football. You know Lucy is going to pull it away just as he goes to kick it, yet he keeps believing that THIS time will be different.

Kerry Wood has been hurt or under-performed just about every year. How many times you have to get your fantasy brains bashed in before you stop following that Siren's call?

We see it every year with Kearns, Griffey, Beltre, Wood, Durazo, Nick Johnson and a few others. There comes a time when you just have to realize that these guys just are not worth anything but late flier picks on. The odds are they will let you down the overwhelming majority of the time.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ahorsefish » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:32 pm

It's not like I'm asking everyone to draft him in the 5th round. All I'm saying is, if he's around in round 20 it's a fairly low risk and the reward might be great. He has sick stuff and he's proven(well, sort of) that he can be a great fantasy pitcher.
ahorsefish Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers