In favor of Bonds breaking Aaron's record? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

In favor of Bonds breaking Aaron's record?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

In favor of Bonds breaking Aaron's record?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Can't Wait, maybe he'll get to 800?!
52
26%
Hope he never touches Aaron's record, hows that knee holding up btw?
146
74%
 
Total votes : 198

Postby nuggets » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:33 pm

modestninja wrote:
nuggets wrote:
Chicago RedSox wrote:I hope they find a way to ban him from ever playing again. He can go on book signing tours with Pete Rose.
It'll work as a deterrant from the upcoming kids from getting into the roids


Yes, we should push them toward Meth, Speed and Alcohol, shouldn't we?


The other thing, I'd guess most of the younger generation doesn't know much more than Base Ruth, or Hank Aaron's name so they wouldn't be pushed towards those substances and alcohol because of them... However, since kids see Bonds on TV all the time hitting homers and then see the stories of 'roid use, they might be tempted to take the same shortcuts...


So what about David "The Babe Ruth Like Drunk" Wells comments. Did you support them? Wells is an icon for the alcohol industry. Is that double standard fair or even acceptable for Bonds? You claim you are out for good and fairness, now show it.

This is a great example of the media creating hype and hate of Bonds. If this were handled back then, kids wouldn't be hearing about 'roids every five seconds.

Issues such as meth use are being thrown under the bus by the likes of you and our President who just cut Meth use prevention funds to every state. It's so sad I want to puke, but I can't anymore because I puked my guts out over kentx's and slap's horrible remarks from two weeks ago.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby modestninja » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:38 pm

I'm done arguing this crap... There's no way I'm going to convince you and I haven't seen any decent arguments out of any of the Bonds lovers so I'm going to quit wasting my time and go back to discussing fantasy baseball.
modestninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 50
Joined: 21 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:39 pm

modestninja wrote: I haven't seen any decent arguments out of any of the Bonds lovers


You either aren't reading or have no credibility. The only things I want to convince you of are:

Bonds has been unfairly persecuted

Bonds deserves to be in the HOF

You should stop openly hating Barry Bonds.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Hbj79 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:13 am

I feel like my mom, but just because so and so cheated doesn't make it alright for others to cheat.


I don't think anyone is saying this. I think the point is something closer to....if you want an asterisk put beside Bonds career and season homerun numbers you will also have to put them beside Aaron's and Ruth's (which is fine).
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 998
Joined: 9 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby nuggets » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:30 am

The bottom line is informed baseball fans know each era has it's scandal, cheaters, hitting or pitching scarcity and needed adjustments.

When we look back on records we know Ruth was hitting more HR than entire teams, Foxx faced more concentrated pitching at bigger ballparks, Aaron wasn't hitting as live a ball and that Big Mac, Sosa, Bonds and others all had inflated HR totals in part due to use of new chemicals, hence the PED era.

We also know that nearly everyone has cheated for nearly always and that some of the best were down right mean, mean enough to kill a person as Ty Cobb did. We know what has happened to Barry Bonds is unjust because in the end all things are relative to each other. Others can ride their moral high horses off to the land of hypocrisy as they wish. And they'd better too. They don't want their lives persecuted, manipulated and hurt like the Bonds' family has been.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3342
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sach0032 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:23 am

HOOTIE wrote:Any more names for him?


Yeah, I think cheater, liar and p*ssy should just about cover it. Scapegoat certainly isn't one of them, however.

nuggets wrote:We know what has happened to Barry Bonds is unjust because in the end all things are relative to each other. Others can ride their moral high horses off to the land of hypocrisy as they wish. And they'd better too. They don't want their lives persecuted, manipulated and hurt like the Bonds' family has been.


Oh, so Palmeiro wasn't driven out of baseball a few weeks after collecting his 3000th hit when it was discovered he was juicing? What race is Palmeiro? Not black, which you alledge is a reason people attack Bonds. How about Sosa? Caught with a corked bat, along with suspicions of juicing, his popularity completely plummeted from there, and he's out of baseball, too. Not black, by the way. As for poor Barry and everything his family has been through, maybe he shouldn't have been running around with a mistress, or dragging out his kids for his "heartfelt" press conferences. Yeah, I really feel for the guy. :~(
sach0032
Little League Legend
Little League Legend


Posts: 5
Joined: 9 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:36 am

sach0032 wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:Any more names for him?


Yeah, I think cheater, liar and p*ssy should just about cover it. Scapegoat certainly isn't one of them, however.

nuggets wrote:We know what has happened to Barry Bonds is unjust because in the end all things are relative to each other. Others can ride their moral high horses off to the land of hypocrisy as they wish. And they'd better too. They don't want their lives persecuted, manipulated and hurt like the Bonds' family has been.


Oh, so Palmeiro wasn't driven out of baseball a few weeks after collecting his 3000th hit when it was discovered he was juicing? What race is Palmeiro? Not black, which you alledge is a reason people attack Bonds. How about Sosa? Caught with a corked bat, along with suspicions of juicing, his popularity completely plummeted from there, and he's out of baseball, too. Not black, by the way. As for poor Barry and everything his family has been through, maybe he shouldn't have been running around with a mistress, or dragging out his kids for his "heartfelt" press conferences. Yeah, I really feel for the guy. :~(


btw ...
welcome to the cafe .
Have you met Kentx25 and Yanks 04 yet?
You'll like them
They, like you, have absolutely nothing to add to a conversation but hate and a misguided anger.

welcome aboard
this place was sorely missing people who repeated the same old tired "line" they heard on ESPN. ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 692)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kentx12 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:27 am

nuggets wrote:
modestninja wrote: I haven't seen any decent arguments out of any of the Bonds lovers


You either aren't reading or have no credibility. The only things I want to convince you of are:

Bonds has been unfairly persecuted


Wrong. Im sure that everyone who has came out with storys about Bonds do it just to make people hate him right. All the people who take up for Bonds would lead us to believe that the Chronicle and the reporters who are saying these things about Bonds are doing it to ruin him. Im sure that isnt the case.

Bonds deserves to be in the HOF


No he dosent. There is no way he should ever be in the HOF and if the day comes that he is I will have watched my last baseball game, played my last game of fantasy and read my last box score in the paper because I will be done with the sport. I cannot respect a sport that would allow a cheater to be a hero.


You should stop openly hating Barry Bonds.


I dont think that will ever happen. As more of this story comes out and more people realize what scum he is there will be more hayers comming out and that is what MLB needs right now.
Image

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17435
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 8 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lost

Postby kentx12 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:31 am

Hbj79 wrote:
I feel like my mom, but just because so and so cheated doesn't make it alright for others to cheat.


I don't think anyone is saying this. I think the point is something closer to....if you want an asterisk put beside Bonds career and season homerun numbers you will also have to put them beside Aaron's and Ruth's (which is fine).


I dont think anyone wants an asterisk put beside his name. IMO he should be kicked out of baseball and his records say that he was banned from baseball because he was a cheater. If baseball goes with an asterisk then 20 years from now noone will even remember that and kids will be brought up believeing that he was a great player and that is wrong.
Image

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17435
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 8 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lost

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:43 am

kentx12 wrote:I dont think anyone wants an asterisk put beside his name. IMO he should be kicked out of baseball and his records say that he was banned from baseball because he was a cheater. If baseball goes with an asterisk then 20 years from now noone will even remember that and kids will be brought up believeing that he was a great player and that is wrong.


There are several problems with this.

First, there are rules that govern why players can be removed from play. Until baseball follows its own rules on this regarding Bonds, there's no basis for kicking him out.

Second, if Bonds is to be banned for being a cheater, then it's only fair that this apply to all cheaters. I suppose you may be willing to do that, but a huge chunk of baseball history involves cheating in some fashion. Unless you are willing to hold others--Perry, Schmidt--to the same standard, you are not being fair.

Third, Bonds WAS a great player. Even if you accept the circumstantial evidence that he began juicing in 1999, look at his record before that time. It is the record of a great player. I have no problem with kids understanding the truth.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy Expert
Posts: 5516
Joined: 12 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact