In favor of Bonds breaking Aaron's record? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

In favor of Bonds breaking Aaron's record?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

In favor of Bonds breaking Aaron's record?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Can't Wait, maybe he'll get to 800?!
26%
Hope he never touches Aaron's record, hows that knee holding up btw?
74%

Total votes : 198

Postby nuggets » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:12 pm

modestninja wrote:
nuggets wrote:
CUBSWIN wrote:I do not want Bonds to pass Ruth or Aaron. It would be an insult to both these players and the game of baseball to have one of the most cherished records in sports broken by a player who used chemicals to enhance his performance. [/u]

Aaron used Amphetamines, Ruth a corked bat and illegal alcohol.Next please.

I'm sure being drunk and hung over for games contributed to Ruth's hitting ability. You sure showed them with that one! I know you were saying he used illegal substances but the main difference is that BB are performance enhancing, whereas Ruths probably impacted his performance negatively. Kinda like that Canadian who one the inagural snowboard olympic downhill and tested positive for weed... Not really going to help you perform to the best of your abilities (except in an eating contest).

Uhh then what's with the first two sentances? Oh typical Bonds hater BS, like 90+% of it.

I board far better when I'm baked. Many fight better after a few drinks. I don't care if Ruth was drunk, but if an alkie needs booze when under stress, I'm sure Ruth was better of with a beer or two in him before an AB.

The only point I'm making is that Ruth used an illegal substance and illegal bats so unless you're going on a witch hunt for him too, you are an evil sort of hypocrite. Evil because you are backpacking onto the destruction of someone’s life. Do you do this to everyone you don't like? Especially one who hasn't killed anyone or committed some crime against society? I think not.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sach0032 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:29 pm

You're sure that Ruth performed better with alcohol in his system? Okay. I'm sure that Bonds' claims that he didn't know what he was putting into his body is complete and utter bullflop. Neither one is getting proved.

Comparing Ruth using alcohol and Aaron using caffeine to Bonds using steroids is like comparing jaywalking to a hit-and-run. Both illegal, but only one is a serious offense.
sach0032
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wrveres » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:35 pm

sach0032 wrote:You're sure that Ruth performed better with alcohol in his system? Okay. I'm sure that Bonds' claims that he didn't know what he was putting into his body is complete and utter bullflop. Neither one is getting proved.

Comparing Ruth using alcohol and Aaron using caffeine to Bonds using steroids is like comparing jaywalking to a hit-and-run. Both illegal, but only one is a serious offense.

interesting that you think that speed is equivalant to caffiene :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby wrveres » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:37 pm

Any guesses as to how many kids die every year from speed?
I promise you it is much higher number, than kids kicking it from steriod abuse, or coffee
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1147)

Postby kentx12 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:38 pm

48 to 126.. Looks like there is still alot of people who care about the integrity of the game.. ;-D Way to go people.

There will come a day when Barry Bonds leaves baseball, and everything about the game will be the better for it.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:39 pm

I hope they find a way to ban him from ever playing again. He can go on book signing tours with Pete Rose.
It'll work as a deterrant from the upcoming kids from getting into the roids
Play Ball
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:47 pm

kentx12 wrote:48 to 126.. Looks like there is still alot of people who care about the integrity of the game.. ;-D Way to go people.

And 48 of us who hate the game of baseball! ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Pablo975 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:58 pm

I say no. Being from the same town, I plead homer and want Hank to keep the record. However, I don't really mind if Barry gets it. It's just....there's a lot more to my enjoyment of the game than whose name is in a record book. I dislike Bonds, but it won't diminish my love of the game if he gets it.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ramble2 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:23 pm

Maybe I've missed it in the mass of Bonds posts, but there seem to be a couple of factors that aren't being brought up. I'm not sure how to fit them into all the other data, but they strike me as relevant.

The first is that it's not really very fair to compare Bonds AB/HR ratios with other players. Better to compare his PA/HR. Given the number of walks he's getting, one would expect his home run rate per AB to go up simply for that reason alone. Using plate appearances/home run will probably be a better metric of comparison.

The other consideration is that he moved to a new ballpark in 2000. A ballpark that was designed for his swing. Here are some numbers to compare.

Steroids Comparison: pre- and post-1998
1993-1997 AB/HR: 12.65
1998-2004 AB/HR: 9.63
1998-2000; 2002-2004 AB/HR: 10.15
2001 AB/HR: 6.52

1993-1997 PA/HR: 16.01
1998-2004 PA/HR: 10.50
1998-2000; 2002-2004 PA/HR: 13.87
2001 PA/HR: 9.10

Ballpark Comparison: Candlestick vs. [phone company]park
1993-1999 AB/HR: 12.66
2000-2004 AB/HR: 8.41
2000; 2002-2004 AB/HR: 8.88

1993-1999 PA/HR: 15.95
2000-2004 PA/HR: 12.14
2000; 2002-2004 PA/HR: 12.91

Clearly Bonds saw a huge jump in his numbers. The huge jump, though, correlates more closely with his move to [phone company]park than it does to his supposed steroid use.

I'm not trying to argue that he never used steroids. I think it's probable that he, and many others, used all sorts of illegal substances. I'm not convinced, though, that using steroids is as effective as detractors say. I think having a ballpark custom built for your swing is probably far more effective.

(And yes, I'm well aware he only plays half his games at home ...)
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 66)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:24 pm

sach0032 wrote:I'd be thrilled if Barroid never played again. Since the SOB has already backtracked from his "this is my final sesason" statement, I'm assuming his massive ego will drive him to break the record at any cost. After all, that's what made him start shooting roids in the first place....

Any more names for him?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 303)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers