Compiled Overall Rankings (Updated Today) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Compiled Overall Rankings (Updated Today)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thinkspin » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:55 am

glcmustliveon wrote:Theres no way that on average soriano is ahead of Utley. Your site sucks, stop abusing the cafe, its not like youve contributed anything...

If you had the sources of his rankings, and took the time to see what other sites are posting, you would see that lots of them still rank Soriano very high and may not be willing to take the leap on Utley being better just yet.

With that said, I have Utley higher than Sori and agree with you. That is why his list is valuable. You can see what others may be thinking. THAT is VERY IMPORTANT in a draft.

You can take your projections/rankings and find out if others agree with you. It gives you a feel of the players you can wait for that you may be targeting.

Anyway, I would tend to shy away from saying what others contribute sucks. There are some who try to raise the bar and you seem to be missing that...
Founder of a fantasy sports related website...
thinkspin
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wharton93 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:53 pm

We have taken over 40 factors into account, including ballpark factor, injury history, ZIPS and PECOTA stat projections, and much more, to be positive we're giving you the best stuff available.

Heh, last I heard stuff like PECOTA isn't free and to take their stuff and then use it as a package that you are selling for $2 smacks of theft.
Wharton93
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:07 pm

Theres no way that on average soriano is ahead of Utley. Your site sucks, stop abusing the cafe, its not like youve contributed anything...

Um, go to ESPN live draft results.... Soriano going 15th, Utley going 22nd.

Um, go to Yahoo live draft results... Soriano going 18th, Utley 27th.

The rest of the world aren't fantasy baseball worshippers like on this site, where we all know Utley is a better play than Soriano. Having someone compiling a list of average rankings is extremely valuable (depending on your league) to figure out where guys are actually being drafted so you can figure out where the bargains are. In this case, Utley.

Leave the guy alone - he's doing a lot of work and contributing something (which is more than I can say for you guys doing the complaining)
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:11 pm

I find most rankings to be useless since it is an opinion of one or two people. Compliation of many different rankings may be more useful but it is still useless since people play different formats, etc.

If you want me to critique and/or give you some ideas to improve your system, then email me your Excel sheets free of charge. I'm not paying for something that is available for free no matter how long it took you to do it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Freebird27 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:22 pm

glcmustliveon wrote:Theres no way that on average soriano is ahead of Utley. Your site sucks, stop abusing the cafe, its not like youve contributed anything...

I agree that Utley should be ranked over Soriano. The rest of this post is garbage and doesnt have any place in the cafe, I am sure there is a teenie bopper message board that would be more suited to that BS.
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pochucker » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:30 pm

Would I pay for any FB information - no! (except mag)
However the list is useful knowing that there are multiple sources involved. In fact this top 400 will be used as my "cross off cheat sheet" at my draft. To argue whether this person or that should be ranked ahead of the other is absurd. You need to know approx what general rd people consider players in thats all. Your own draft strategy and rankings determine where you want to take someone.

If the guy can make a buck more power to him, he has already provided us with a free service.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Pochucker » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:47 pm

Would I pay for any FB information other than a mag -- no! However the top 4oo list from multiple sources certainly is a good tool. STD dev means nothing to me the average is fine. In fact this will be my "cross off cheat sheet" at my draft. If the guy can get someone to pay more power to him. He has contributed something valuable in my mind.

As far as Soriano/Utely I agree Utley should be higher. However as someone said we are all legends in our own minds here and know whos best. In the real world of more casual players it doesent look like they agree. Example -- just came from the ESPN live draft room. In 7 of 8 leagues that were drafting Soriano went before Utley. Small sample but I look often and this is the norm.
Who knows maybe they know something we dont(impossible im sure) maybes hes goin to Boston or Colorado, who knows.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pochucker » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:01 pm

I would never pay for FB info other than occaisional mag. But some do.

The list is actually a very useful resource and will be my "cross off top 400 cheat sheet" at my draft.
Std dev means nothing to me, avg is fine. If he can get someone to pay for it so be it. He has already contributed some of his hard work for free.

As far as Soriano/Utley goes I agree Utley should be rated higher. However as some said we are the "XCafe" legends in our own minds! The rest of the Fantasy world may have different opinions.

Example -- just came from ESPN draft room -- 7/8 leagues drafted Soriano first. Small sample i know but remember less passionate FB players go by "name recognition"
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WittyC » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:18 pm

btaylor1978 wrote:Hey everyone...

To answer a few questions/comments...

1. These are a compilation, an average of a LOT of rankings along with some formulaic items to help balance things. My opinion is nowhere to be found, so no more :-P faces!

2. You're right, it is a lot of work that I've done. And you're right, anyone can do it. I'm just offering you the chance to avoid having to do the research and just pay me a measly $2 to give you the info you want anyway.

3. If you think only stupid people will pay $2 for this, then there are a LOT of stupid people out there. :) (Like we didn't already know that.)

4. $2 over and over again adds up to a nice sum of money.

5. I wasn't trying to use this site as free advertising...you can go look, my rankings are free. But it's not free to host and build a website, so there are a few things there that cost money. Feel free to take advantage of them, or, like the site says, enjoy the free rankings. Where else can you find the top 400 players from a compilation of sources and with formulas that allow for injury history, ballpark factor, etc. for free?

Thanks everyone...Please keep visiting the site...Send your friends!

Don't get me wrong, I always appreciate someone making a contribution... I just felt the need to question your motives based on your post history, which has revolved almost entirely around getting your site off the ground.

The problem with your rankings is that you say it's a compilation of resources, then you add in these magic formulas to account for injury history, bp effect, etc. Most published rankings already factor in the elements of injury history and bp effect, so doing them again is overkill which will skew your rankings.

Also, as soon as you use your magic formulas, you are factoring in your opinion. While your opinion and contributions are appreciated, I don't think it is in anyone's best interest to pay for them. Especially when other cafe members are giving away unbiased information for free.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers