What's the ideal spot to draft in the 1st? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's the ideal spot to draft in the 1st?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's the ideal spot to draft in the 1st?

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:02 am

Just curious what the consensus is as far as what # you would want to draft in the 1st?

It seems like the top 6-7 guys are ARod, Pujols, Vlad, Tex, Manny, Ortiz & Santana out there. So the #6 or #7 spot seems pretty good.

But what about #10 or #11? You could get a guy like Bay or Tejada and follow up in early two with Wright or Utley. Seems like a pretty good combo to start with.

Where would you guys want to draft at in the 1st?
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trot Nixon » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:06 am

#1 Albert Pujols
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Old_Style » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:10 am

in a 12 man league, i usually like taking the either one of the last three picks.
i usually end up with a combo of 2 of these guys; m.cabrera/bay/wright/abreu/utley/m.young/tejada/crawford
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Jury » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:14 am

It really depends who you'd like to take as stupid as that sounds.

Ideally I'd like the #1 pick to take A-Rod, and I'd also fancy having the #2 to secure either A-Rod or Pujols.

I'm not so keen on picks 3-4 as I don't really want to be forced into taking Teixeira or Vlad.

Another nice scenario would be the 6th pick, which is the last easy pick of the first round before we starting mulling over Santana, Bay, Cabrera, Crawford, etc.

If it was up to be, I'd have the 1, 2, or 6 pick. With the 6th pick I'd easily take Manny (hopefully #5 takes Ortiz).
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:01 am

1st or 2nd this year. Sometimes I like being near the end, but I'd rather grab Pujols or ARod than hope someone I really like falls to me later in the round.

Still some very nice players to be had for your 2nd and 3rd round picks to boot. I think you have excellent options if you pick 1 or 2 this year.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby giambiformvp » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:16 am

I really like #2 this year. You get Pujols or ARod. Then on your way back you get your pick at what's leftover from all the similar players talent-wise all bunched together. You cold then pick up a stud SP and maybe start a run.
giambiformvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Eagle Baseball » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:12 am

I would like to draft 1st in the first round. I would also like to draft 1st in the 2td round. :-b
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dewey finn » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:17 am

I absolutely hate getting stuck with a middle pick. It always seems like my player next on queue is ALWAYS taken on either side of me before it's my turn.
dewey finn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby jsphlly » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:47 am

I like 5, 6 or 7 this year.

1 or 2 would be nice to secure ARod or Pujols but I prefer to draft in the middle.

With 5, 6 or 7, you can expect a big bat to fall to you in the first round - Teix, Manny, Ortiz or D. Lee then typically follow up with the best player that falls to you in the 2nd round - Young, Bay, Wright just to name a few.

A few early mocks, I've even seen Ortiz, Crawford and Abreu falling to early 2nd round.

Another thing I like about middle picks is when runs occur you're never too far away to miss out on an entire tier.
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:11 am

This year I like 1 or 2 because the backend of the 2nd round is still good and arod and pujols are a clear tier above the rest of the players. If I don't get 1 or 2 I actually like picks 11/12. I hate picking back to back but the 8th through 14th players are all more or less equal in value and the 11/12 picks each get 2 of them. I think the weakest pick is #4 because Teix isn't any better than the next 4 or 5 picks and when it gets back around to you in the 2nd round you still don't a good value.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers