Hip Hop

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tuff_gong » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:13 am

my 10 favorite hip-hop cd's

nas - illmatic
jay-z - reasonable doubt
wu-tang clan - enter the 36 chambers
black star - mos def and talib kweli are
tribe called quest - midnight marauders (low end theory is tight too)
pharcyde - bizarre ride II the pharcyde
outkast - aquemini
dr.dre - 2001
common - resurrection
fugees - the score

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:03 pm

Anyone know any good songs from Jurassic 5?
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:19 am

Red Stripe wrote:Anyone know any good songs from Jurassic 5?

There are none. J5 is one of the most overrated groups out. Although if I was forced to recommend something it would be 'Quality Control,' the only album of theirs that is remotely listenable.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:50 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Red Stripe wrote:Anyone know any good songs from Jurassic 5?

There are none. J5 is one of the most overrated groups out. Although if I was forced to recommend something it would be 'Quality Control,' the only album of theirs that is remotely listenable.

I disagree, I am a J5 fan. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks I guess.
If I were to recommend some of their songs "Freedom," "Remember His Name," and "Concrete Schoolyard" would be 3 of their better tracks.
2nd in the Baseball Leg of the Cafe Challenge.
CC Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby warrick95 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:12 pm

I'm a big hip-hop fan but don't really hit the underground scene too much. I've listened to Jedi Mind Tricks, Blackalicious, Danger Doom, Dr. Octagon, Deltron, etc., but haven't been that enamored with any of them. Don't get me wrong, they drop sick lines, but I prefer music that also has some nice beats and catchy hooks. Of course, I like lyrics that mean SOMETHING, so I'm not a huge fan of most of the mainstream stuff on nowadays, either.

So my question is this...to the guys like DK and Art that are obviously experts at this sort of stuff...who are some underground artists that have a good compromise between good lyrics and good hooks/beats? I mostly listen to 2Pac...if that means anything in terms of what I prefer. I've always been a huge fan of Nate Dogg collabs, so rap with r&b hooks seems to do it for me.
But not 50 Cent's singsong choruses. Don't like him singing much at all.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:46 pm

warrick95 wrote:I'm a big hip-hop fan but don't really hit the underground scene too much. I've listened to Jedi Mind Tricks, Blackalicious, Danger Doom, Dr. Octagon, Deltron, etc., but haven't been that enamored with any of them. Don't get me wrong, they drop sick lines, but I prefer music that also has some nice beats and catchy hooks. Of course, I like lyrics that mean SOMETHING, so I'm not a huge fan of most of the mainstream stuff on nowadays, either.

So my question is this...to the guys like DK and Art that are obviously experts at this sort of stuff...who are some underground artists that have a good compromise between good lyrics and good hooks/beats? I mostly listen to 2Pac...if that means anything in terms of what I prefer. I've always been a huge fan of Nate Dogg collabs, so rap with r&b hooks seems to do it for me.

Almost all old school west coast hip hop has a mix of lyrics and good beats and is probably the stuff your looking for if you like Tupac. Anything of Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eazy E, NWA, and Public Enemy(although it's not gangsta rap). I'm pretty new to underground/alternative hip hop but try "Blackstar" it's a 2 man group formed by Mos Def and Talib Kweli for a CD. They've got some good beats with the awesome underground lyrical flow.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:52 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, Red Stripe, but I already have all of that stuff. I'm basically looking for straight underground, I think. I'm pretty familiar with mainstream stuff.

For some reason, I've always been somewhat turned off by some of the older school beats. It could be because the audio quality is worse, but I've never been a fan of the disc scratch. Don't get me wrong, I still listen to a lot of NWA and stuff, but I can't listen to it 24/7 like I can Pac.
Doggystyle is a great album, though. Lyrically, Snoop's never been that great (he's worse now, obviously), but his flow/beats on that album were sick. The lyrics weren't inspiring or anything, but quite fun.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:12 pm

warrick95 wrote:I'm a big hip-hop fan but don't really hit the underground scene too much. I've listened to Jedi Mind Tricks, Blackalicious, Danger Doom, Dr. Octagon, Deltron, etc., but haven't been that enamored with any of them. Don't get me wrong, they drop sick lines, but I prefer music that also has some nice beats and catchy hooks. Of course, I like lyrics that mean SOMETHING, so I'm not a huge fan of most of the mainstream stuff on nowadays, either.

Check out 4th Dimensional Rocketships by The Gift of Gab. He's the lyricist in Blackalicious and that is his solo album. It has a bit more of the R&B hooks/influence then most of blackalicious stuff, but still has sick lyrics (gab is one of the best out there) with meaning and the beats are pretty good as well.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:15 pm

Also, if you haven't already, you definitely need to listen to Shadows on the Sun by Brother Ali. Incredible CD all around...I'd also check out J5 (Jurassic 5) if you haven't already. They're a bit more old school but still very good.

[size=18]

baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:36 pm

A couple more :-b De La Soul, Little Brother, Planet Asia are all ones that you might like.

[size=18]

baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk