Josh Beckett - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Josh Beckett

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikegp » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:47 am

One thing that is impossible to translate into numbers or statistics is Beckett's attitude. I doubt his numbers will change that much regardless of the move. To me, Beckett seems like a guy who loves the spotlight and a challenge and performs a lot better under it. In Boston, the expectations will be high and there will definitly be a lot more pressure than when he pitched for the Marlins. Remember how he pitched in the World Series against the Yanks? I think this move to Boston will make him an elite pitcher. Plus, remember he is only 25 years old...there is still lots of room for improvement.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gags Sports » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:08 am

WittyC wrote:
Gags Sports wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Beckett is wors ethan Prior risk wise imo.

Agree. Beckett has a blister problem that has stayed with him his entire pro career so far. He's also got a shoulder 'issue' that was raised during the trade to Boston. Beware. All of Prior's injuries have been freak by nature and not the usual rotator cuff or elbow problems.

TheYanks04 wrote:Beckett not only can;t stay healthy, he is headed to the AL East where his team will face the Yanks, Os, Tor and TB 19 times a season.

Agree. Facing the Yankees, Orioles, Blue Jays and Devil Rays is a lot different than facing the Astros, Cardinals, Reds, Brewers and Pirates (chuckle). C'mon, that's not even a comparison.

TheYanks04 wrote:And he is leaving a very pitcher friendly park. Ratios have to climb.

Agree here too. What gets overlooked is that Beckett put up only good (not great) numbers in Florida which was an extreme pitchers park. He never really dominated there. His best ERA over a full season was 2003 when it was 3.04. I am a firm believer in the theory that on average, when a pitcher changes leagues (from NL to AL in this case) their ERA will rise 1.00. Over the last three years combined, Beckett's ERA was right around 3.40. Any elementary school kid can tell you that translates to a 4.40 AL ERA. Now personally, I think he's capable of doing much better than that, but if he couldn't do it in the NL East, what makes you think he's going to do it in the AL East? I'd let somebody else take him this year.

Not entirely true on this account... in 2004 he missed time with that achilles problem, if I recall correctly, because he threw far more innings that year than he had in any prior year. Pun intended. :*)

Good pick up Witty. I did forget about the damn achilles.
Gags Sports
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers