Lastings Milledge - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Lastings Milledge

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:35 am

newyork wrote:you just seem not to like him very much and don't think that he will have much of a major league career-similar to Jason Tyner, another met center field prospect with similar talents who ammounted to nothing. However, I think Milledge has a much brighter future than Tyner becuase he is just more tallented and is not as much of a 1 dimensional player like Tyner was.

Huh? Ok not sure how I "seem" to dislike him, but your wrong I don't. I have no idea why your bringing up Tyner though, Milledge is way above and beyond him as a prospect and it's not close.

I listed Pie as a possibly bust and he is one of my favorite prospect in the minors, naming Lastings has nothing to do w/ like or dislike. It has to do with my observation and opinion that comes from it.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby newyork » Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:36 am

fair enough
newyork
College Coach
College Coach

Postby garf112 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 am

hybrid wrote:
newyork wrote:you just seem not to like him very much and don't think that he will have much of a major league career-similar to Jason Tyner, another met center field prospect with similar talents who ammounted to nothing. However, I think Milledge has a much brighter future than Tyner becuase he is just more tallented and is not as much of a 1 dimensional player like Tyner was.

Huh? Ok not sure how I "seem" to dislike him, but your wrong I don't. I have no idea why your bringing up Tyner though, Milledge is way above and beyond him as a prospect and it's not close.

I listed Pie as a possibly bust and he is one of my favorite prospect in the minors, naming Lastings has nothing to do w/ like or dislike. It has to do with my observation and opinion that comes from it.

Have to agree with hybrid on this one. Athletic, 5 tool prospects are high-risk, high-reward propositions. The payoff can be huge for the Mets if all goes right in Milledge's development. If things don't go right, Mets' fans will be yelling and screaming about not getting Manny.

I'd put Milledge as a Carl Crawford with less speed, and basestealing ability. He has been caught stealing a ton in the minors. (picked off a bunch, too) But we all see how Crawford's power has begun to develop. I think at his peak Milledge could be .300 with 30 HRs, and 30 SBs. He could also turn out to be like Mike Cameron and go .250 with 20 HRs and 20 SBs. Either way, I think he will become a good major league player.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby newyork » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:52 pm

garf112 wrote:
hybrid wrote:

Have to agree with hybrid on this one. Athletic, 5 tool prospects are high-risk, high-reward propositions. The payoff can be huge for the Mets if all goes right in Milledge's development. If things don't go right, Mets' fans will be yelling and screaming about not getting Manny.

I'd put Milledge as a Carl Crawford with less speed, and basestealing ability. He has been caught stealing a ton in the minors. (picked off a bunch, too) But we all see how Crawford's power has begun to develop. I think at his peak Milledge could be .300 with 30 HRs, and 30 SBs. He could also turn out to be like Mike Cameron and go .250 with 20 HRs and 20 SBs. Either way, I think he will become a good major league player.

I wasn't disagreeing with hybrid, as much as it may appear to be that way. In fact I totally agree with his assesment of milledge's talent and potential. I did however disagree with him because from this and the post entitled top prospect BUSTS, I was led to believe that he did not think that Milledge was going to be a great prospect. I brought up Jason Tyner to compare him to someone else that was a mets CF prospect and turned into a bust. I said that Milledge is going to have a much bigger career than Tyner, much along the lines of what hybrid said.
newyork
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:14 pm

Lastings has never really hit for a lot of power in the minors. that may devolp, but i doubt you will ever seen a 30 homer season out of him. He could hit 40 doubles someday, but i think that is the extent of his power.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby DWright5 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:58 pm

He is a .300 hitter at every level and higher at most his power will be there because he has the quickest hands and bat in the minors..... he will be a 25-30 HR guy down the road and not to mention he is one of the FASTEST guys around... dont say hes a crawford with less speed he prob is just as fast if not faster he just hasnt had professional base stealing experience like other poeple.. in this prime he will be .300-30-100-40 and will go down as one of hte best mets in history.... if you tink im overhyping him i was also right on the nost w/ David Wright and hes now a top 10 player in baseball at 22!!!
DWright5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:19 pm

DWright5 wrote:He is a .300 hitter at every level and higher at most his power will be there because he has the quickest hands and bat in the minors..... he will be a 25-30 HR guy down the road and not to mention he is one of the FASTEST guys around... dont say hes a crawford with less speed he prob is just as fast if not faster he just hasnt had professional base stealing experience like other poeple.. in this prime he will be .300-30-100-40 and will go down as one of hte best mets in history.... if you tink im overhyping him i was also right on the nost w/ David Wright and hes now a top 10 player in baseball at 22!!!

Even if Milledge is as fast as Crawford, he will not steal enough bases early in his major league career to make him as useful fantasy-wise as Crawford has been while his power develops. Here's a sampling of their minor league numbers:

Crawford:
Totals: 412 games, 134 SB/41 CS (77%)
Total through age 20: 327 games, 108 SB/33 CS (77%)
at age 20: 132 games, 36 SB/20 CS aa (64%)

Milledge:
Totals: 204 games, 60 SB/27 CS (69%)
at age 20: 110 games, 29 SB/18 CS a/aa (62%)

Crawford may have been given more chances to steal throughout the minors because he hit leadoff, while Milledge hit in the three-hole, but it is still undeniable that he is the more succesful base thief.
Another worry that I have about Milledge is his injuries. He has missed about 65 games in the past two years. I'm not saying this to say that he is injury-prone. It is more to say that he will probably need more time in the minors because of the time that he has missed.
I also don't see the Mets bringing him up next year and sticking him in the leadoff spot. The number 8 hole in the NL is NOT a great spot to get stolen bases.

I still say he will be a poor man's Crawford for his first few years, and then develop into an Abreu-type or Cameron-type depending on how well he develops. The strikeouts make me compare him to Cameron.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:59 pm

DWright5 wrote:He is a .300 hitter at every level and higher at most his power will be there because he has the quickest hands and bat in the minors..... he will be a 25-30 HR guy down the road and not to mention he is one of the FASTEST guys around... dont say hes a crawford with less speed he prob is just as fast if not faster he just hasnt had professional base stealing experience like other poeple.. in this prime he will be .300-30-100-40 and will go down as one of hte best mets in history.... if you tink im overhyping him i was also right on the nost w/ David Wright and hes now a top 10 player in baseball at 22!!!

You tell 'em ;-D

Milledge is a STUD, they will learn..bet that :-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Broncmet724 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:02 pm

I think Lastings will be a .280-.285 guy 15-20 HRs tops with 30-35 SBs in his prime.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball