miguel cabrera shafted? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

miguel cabrera shafted?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WittyC » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:34 am

nuggets wrote:If they have no intention of resigning him it's swallowable but, why insult one of the greatest future players in the game? Why not build around him? Is MCab not they type of player to build around and to keep happy?

Say resinging is an option, would a player who was underpaid this year be more or less likely to sign a deal at a later date for more or less money?

Both parties seem to be making mistakes.

You seem to have forgotten that Florida doesn't build teams. They buy them every five years or so to win a championship, then sell off the pieces. M-Cab might stick around through his arbitration years, but as soon as FA hits, he's out the door.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:51 am

They've never had a player like Cabrera. Sheffield was too old and injured; Renteria and Lee not the same quality. This is where a BAP like strategy applies. This guy is worth locking up for a long time and doing what is necessary to accomplish that.

Maybe there is a place in the MLB market to deal in the style you mention WittyC, or maybe the style will catch up to them and get them far less talent in return on future deals. The Marlins organization has proven capable of winning. If I were a competing GM I'd want to put a stop to that trend.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stumpak » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:56 am

Standard operating procedure for any team.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:08 am

Not exactly. More like SOP for the Marlins. There has been plently of teams that pay more than they have to before a player hits abitration and FA to build a certain amount of good will. 2 straight years of huge numbers from M-Cab and he got a 50K raise and a 100K raise.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Music2004Man » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:17 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
mak1277 wrote:The issue is that he's not in his arbitration years yet. So if he doesn't agree to $470k, the team can pay him whatever they want, down to the minimum for a player with his years of service (certainly less than $470). The players have no leverage until they hit arbitration.

The same thing is happening w/ Duke in Pittsburgh. He is going to refuse to sign his deal for $380k (or whatever it is), but it's only symbolic, because he'll be forced to play for whatever the Pirates decide.

Exactly. So he sucks it up and takes their crappy offer and leaves as fast as free agency allows. I think Florida has next to no chance to sign him long term after this.

I'm with pogo on this one. If this is the guy that you are going to build your team around then you need to show him alittle respect. I understand that many people are overpaid at this time but giving him a 750,000 - 1 mil contract for this year is a show of good will and isn't going to break the Marlins bank.
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:24 am

Music2004Man wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
mak1277 wrote:The issue is that he's not in his arbitration years yet. So if he doesn't agree to $470k, the team can pay him whatever they want, down to the minimum for a player with his years of service (certainly less than $470). The players have no leverage until they hit arbitration.

The same thing is happening w/ Duke in Pittsburgh. He is going to refuse to sign his deal for $380k (or whatever it is), but it's only symbolic, because he'll be forced to play for whatever the Pirates decide.

Exactly. So he sucks it up and takes their crappy offer and leaves as fast as free agency allows. I think Florida has next to no chance to sign him long term after this.

I'm with pogo on this one. If this is the guy that you are going to build your team around then you need to show him alittle respect. I understand that many people are overpaid at this time but giving him a 750,000 - 1 mil contract for this year is a show of good will and isn't going to break the Marlins bank.

They don't care. I think that is the point. They don't want to pay him and they don't have to. If they don't have to pay him then why should they? I'm sure they are prepared to trade him or let him walk as a free agent.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Music2004Man » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:28 am

Yoda wrote:
Music2004Man wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

They don't care. I think that is the point. They don't want to pay him and they don't have to. If they don't have to pay him then why should they? I'm sure they are prepared to trade him or let him walk as a free agent.

They did pretty well with their firesale this season. Can you imagine what they'll get for MCab?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Fenway05 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:25 pm

ESPN.COM
MIAMI -- Florida Marlins slugger Miguel Cabrera agreed Thursday to a one-year contract that will pay him $472,000 in the majors, meaning he'll likely be one of baseball's best bargains again this season.

Cabrera

Cabrera batted .323 with 33 home runs and 116 RBI in his third major league season last year. He'll be eligible for arbitration for the first time after this season.
"I'm happy," Cabrera said. "You have to put up your numbers every year and see what happens. My time is coming, you know?"

His contract calls for a $296,000 salary if he's in the minors

He'll get his 7 year 300mill contract from the Yankees soon enough![/b]
"When you come to a fork in the road take it."
Fenway05
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers