Top prospect BUSTS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top prospect BUSTS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby newyork » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:26 pm

hybrid wrote:I don't agree with Billingsley at all, only way he busts in my mind is with injuries. The rest I can see though: either they are raw, had or could have injuries, or are overrated (Penn).

Anyways here are some guys I think could or should bust.

Felix Pie - I like the kid a lot, but he falls in the tons of raw talent that may not put it all together category. I hope he does well though cause he is one of my fav prospects.

Lastings Millledge - Much like Pie and question whether he will reach his upside.

Jonathon Papelbon - Yeah read any post I have commented on him, not a fan.

Honorable Mention: A. Marte

Milledge?! Are you kidding me?! I dont know who Pie is, but I know milledge is nothing like him. NEXT YEAR, he will replace Floyd in left, and he is perfect for shea because he has great speed to man the deep outfield, and e is perfect for hitting the gaps. His power numbers are questionable because of 410 feet to center, but he will be perfect for the way Randolph likes to play and will thrive in shea.
newyork
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:27 pm

newyork wrote:
hybrid wrote:I don't agree with Billingsley at all, only way he busts in my mind is with injuries. The rest I can see though: either they are raw, had or could have injuries, or are overrated (Penn).

Felix Pie - I like the kid a lot, but he falls in the tons of raw talent that may not put it all together category. I hope he does well though cause he is one of my fav prospects.

Lastings Millledge - Much like Pie and question whether he will reach his upside.

Milledge?! Are you kidding me?! I dont know who Pie is, but I know milledge is nothing like him. NEXT YEAR, he will replace Floyd in left, and he is perfect for shea because he has great speed to man the deep outfield, and e is perfect for hitting the gaps. His power numbers are questionable because of 410 feet to center, but he will be perfect for the way Randolph likes to play and will thrive in shea.

Umm...if you don't know who Pie is then how can you say Milledge is not like him? :-)

If you don't know who Pie is you don't know much about prospects IMO.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby hybrid » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:34 pm

Zito is God wrote:
newyork wrote:

Umm...if you don't know who Pie is then how can you say Milledge is not like him? :-)

If you don't know who Pie is you don't know much about prospects IMO.

Not only that, but everything you said about Milledge ... is the same with Pie (except I think Pie developed more power last year). :-b
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:46 pm

Scott Hairston?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:05 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:Scott Hairston?

I think he has pretty much already busted for the most part. He never could field well and his only above avg. tool is power, the D'Backs I think have pretty much given up on him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby newyork » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:48 pm

maybe I should clarify...I should have said that I am not that familiar with Pie. I am aware who he is and I know (obviously) that he is a top prospect or else we wouldn't be having this discussion. However...Milledge is a top 10 prospect according to BA (7th) and Pie is not (27th). Iam more familiar with Milledge because I am a Mets fan and I know of him more than I do Pie. Pie did hit for more power last year in AA but Lastings also had the second most homers in Arizona this fall (11), second only to the aforementioned Eric Duncan. Their games are different, and just because Pie may hit for more power now, doesn't mean that he will be a better hitter in the bigs.
newyork
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:38 am

newyork wrote:maybe I should clarify...I should have said that I am not that familiar with Pie. I am aware who he is and I know (obviously) that he is a top prospect or else we wouldn't be having this discussion. However...Milledge is a top 10 prospect according to BA (7th) and Pie is not (27th). Iam more familiar with Milledge because I am a Mets fan and I know of him more than I do Pie. Pie did hit for more power last year in AA but Lastings also had the second most homers in Arizona this fall (11), second only to the aforementioned Eric Duncan. Their games are different, and just because Pie may hit for more power now, doesn't mean that he will be a better hitter in the bigs.

Well if you want to believe everything BA says and that they are the gospel of prospects go ahead, they have also touted Hanley Ramirez for years and he hasn't come close to what they have projected. Lasting didn't hit the second most HR's in the AFL, he hit 5 HR's, quite a few people hit more the he did. Also don't pay attention to AFL leagues to much, it's mainly players getting more time in & hitters most always rake there. Lasting and Pie are very similier prospects, both have a lot of raw potential and yet could fall short for several reasons.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby newyork » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:31 pm

correction: Lastings hit the third most homers on his team, with 5. I must have been looking at a different stat
newyork
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:05 pm

You see Salty hit a HR in scrub ball...and you think he is ready for the show? :-?

He hasn't played above High A ball yet... High A to AA is the biggest jump in baseball..Much harder than even AA to majors... So if he can continue to improve going to AA...Than I would consider him a top prospect... Being a Catcher makes it even tougher, especially when your average at best with D behind the plate... SO Salty will probably end up a 1B in the Majors, and even those with high expectations...Predict 25-30 HR's .275-.280 hitter... Out of a catcher that is pretty good, but a 1B that isn't even average :-t

Let's see what happens when he jumps from High A to AA :-o
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zito is God » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:12 pm

I don't see any indication (statistically) of him slowing down. Furthermore, the Brave have expressed that they have absolutely no intention of moving him from catcher.

I think now there is a bigger chance of Mccan getting traded 2 years from now then anything else. LaRoche will be the future fulltime and I think he has 30 HR potential.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball