Return to Baseball Leftovers

what does it take to win

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what does it take to win

Postby roaddogg » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:36 pm

last year i fell short in my attempt to win my leage championship
i came in second
i play 12 team roto leagues

you guys i have any tips or strategys to win?
Dont f**k with a.c slater
roaddogg
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:44 pm

Not really i spend all my time here and still alwasy come in second...

Just get luckY! Second isn't bad...a little luck usually puts you in first..if you are in second you are doing something right
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby orange12 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:45 pm

Draft well, trade well, stay on top of the FA list, and try to be lucky. Seriously, this is such an open ended question its really hard to give any specifics. I know in my eight years playing fantasy baseball I learn something new every year. Sometimes all it takes is one more good pitcher or one more good hitter to seperated first from second.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: what does it take to win

Postby Thursday » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:45 pm

roaddogg wrote:last year i fell short in my attempt to win my leage championship
i came in second

Draft guys that are good. :-b

Seriously, stay on top of breakout guys as the season progresses. Don't be afraid to pick up that rookie bat that just got called up. Make trades that fill holes in your lineup. Basically, i'm telling you to stay active.

Oh, and go on Fantasy Baseball Cafe at least three times a day. ;-D
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Re: what does it take to win

Postby xeifrank » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:18 pm

roaddogg wrote:last year i fell short in my attempt to win my leage championship
i came in second

If you want to win, then don't play in any leagues with people from this site. :)

vr, Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby modestninja » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:58 pm

Another important thing is to draft as much value as possible and balance your team through trades. If steal guys are routinely undervalued in your league get a couple of them on draft day (if they slip). Then once your leaguemates realize that they can get point in the steals categories make some trades to get some more power or pitching, whatever you are missing.
modestninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby converge241 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:55 pm

it takes brass balls

oh, sorry! thats what it takes to sell real estate

know as much as you can..daily reseacrh and review on your team your needs and players on the wire

constant vigilance!
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:18 pm

This is an easy question. Score more points than the other teams! :-)

Anyway, stay on top of your team all year. Draft well, trade from areas of strength to address your weaknesses, scour the waiver wire for hidden gems, and check in here often to learn about updates/position battles/injuries earlier than your leaguemates.

Also, in the week or so leading up to your trade deadline, figure out who your main competitors are and where they are vulnerable. Taking a point or two from them is as good as gaining a point or two on your own. For instance last year I realized that there were three teams that had the goods to win the league. One of them I was fading, and I thought I could catch him without doing anything. But another had a second place hold in Saves. I traded Randy Johnson for Dempster, Ryan, and Batista. I could have gotten more talent for Randy had I traded him to someone else. But over the last month and a half those three guys pulled me into the race for second in saves. When Billy Wagner got me a save on the last day of the season in a game they won 10-3, I broke the tie and won the league by a half point. :-°

Good luck. ;-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby looptid » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:18 pm

converge241 wrote:it takes brass balls

oh, sorry! thats what it takes to sell real estate!

What's your name?
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WittyC » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:21 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:This is an easy question. Score more points than the other teams! :-)

Anyway, stay on top of your team all year. Draft well, trade from areas of strength to address your weaknesses, scour the waiver wire for hidden gems, and check in here often to learn about updates/position battles/injuries earlier than your leaguemates.

Also, in the week or so leading up to your trade deadline, figure out who your main competitors are and where they are vulnerable. Taking a point or two from them is as good as gaining a point or two on your own. For instance last year I realized that there were three teams that had the goods to win the league. One of them I was fading, and I thought I could catch him without doing anything. But another had a second place hold in Saves. I traded Randy Johnson for Dempster, Ryan, and Batista. I could have gotten more talent for Randy had I traded him to someone else. But over the last month and a half those three guys pulled me into the race for second in saves. When Billy Wagner got me a save on the last day of the season in a game they won 10-3, I broke the tie and won the league by a half point. :-°

Good luck. ;-D

Right on it here... strategy is key before the trade deadline in roto. ;-D

Also, don't underestimate the importance of a good hail mary on the final day. I won a league with it last year. B-)
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers