PECOTA help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

PECOTA help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PECOTA help

Postby reiser » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:31 am

I took the plunge, and was wondering if someone had advice on how they use the projections.

Is VORP concerned with position at all? That is to say is Furcal 30 points ahead of the average major leaguer, or average shortstop?

I like the idea of sorting by Breakout rate, any thoughts on this?

Finally, how many players do you delete? I don't need a projection for every player getting 10 AB.
Thanks!
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:10 am

Yes position matters for Vorp, defense does not btw.

The breakout stat is tricky to use. It shows their chance to breakout compared to their 3 year average, you also need to look at the collapse rate as some players will have breakout and collapse which basically means the system doesn't think it can predict their numbers very accurately.

PECOTA doesn't really factor in for major league playtime so you can't delete players just based on AB's. You need to decide which players are going to start for their team and use the projections for those players. It also doesn't understand things like someone who has been a backup for 5 years but is now getting a chance to start, so you have to adjust for that situation by yourself.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby reiser » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:14 pm

Ender wrote:Yes position matters for Vorp, defense does not btw.

PECOTA doesn't really factor in for major league playtime so you can't delete players just based on AB's. You need to decide which players are going to start for their team and use the projections for those players. It also doesn't understand things like someone who has been a backup for 5 years but is now getting a chance to start, so you have to adjust for that situation by yourself.

hmm...not quite sure I understand VORP then. But I will gamble on the players getting 10 AB's :)
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:25 pm

VORP has no real meaning from a fantasy standpoint.

For real baseball its a measurement of how valuable a hitter a player is compared to a replacement player. A replacement player is generally about as good as what most teams bench guys are. VORP measures how many runs a player score compared to that replacement player. Its also adjusted for park effects.

Most people use the number 10 Runs = 1 Win. So for every 10 points of VORP a player gives you 1 Win more than a team full of backup players at each position.

I hope that explained it a little bit better though I'm sure you are still confused~.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby nuggets » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:27 pm

The best idea is to go to the source.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby reiser » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:37 am

Ender wrote:VORP has no real meaning from a fantasy standpoint.

well, users in here have certainly discussed it as a means of ranking players. and if you sort by VORP, it pretty much looks like the top players in Fantasy :)

does BP not have a combined sheet though of fantasy value? i.e. pitchers and hitters?
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:33 am

reiser wrote:
Ender wrote:VORP has no real meaning from a fantasy standpoint.

well, users in here have certainly discussed it as a means of ranking players. and if you sort by VORP, it pretty much looks like the top players in Fantasy :)

does BP not have a combined sheet though of fantasy value? i.e. pitchers and hitters?

The PECOTA system is the method of predicting a player's performance. VORP is simply one of the metrics contained within the PECOTA system that indicates a player's predicted value for the coming year. The PECOTA projections also contain all other stats, which is why many people in here refer to it alot - it is essentially predicting how well players are going to perform in the fantasy categories. As Ender has elluded to, VORP really doesn't have any fantasy applications.....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Ender » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:41 am

VORP is a concept that a lot of owners use when making their ranking sheets which is why you see it discussed here. Its more useful for auction leagues than draft leagues. Basically you compare a player to a player who would be on the free agent list and use that to determine positional scarcity since in theory you can get any free agent type player for $1 at the end of the auction.

For draft leagues I think value over average player is more useful.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BobbyRoberto » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:12 am

If you have access to the website, you should just use the Player Forecast Manager. It's updated for playing time and is built specifically for Fantasy purposes, where you can plug in your roster size, categories used, etc.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Return to Baseball Leftovers